Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Australia Recruiting Teachers

• 26-09-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

The Dept of Education in Western Australia is holding interviews in Dublin in November for teachers to work around the state.

The flyer's attached for anyone interested. Secondary applicants could start work from July 2009, and Primary from January 2010. Qualified teachers only for both.

I'm going on this scheme in Jan 09. various reasons, one being fed up trying to find work back home. So, I thought with the current situation in Ireland, some people on here might be interested in it too. So feel free to PM me or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

My heart is breaking!!!
    I was in Oz for a year 01-02.
    I have had a longing to return since. Well, I think I finally got over it about a yr ago.
    Until now!!!!! :(
    My God, how I wish I was back there, & WA was my favourite place too.
    It's not possible for me to do so now, so I may content myself with a holiday some year.

Anyone thinking of it:- go for it. It's fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

If only I didn't qualify this year/have my dip yet to do I'd love to do this!!! Great way of combining my urge to go to Oz/my profession!
    When did you apply for it Kittex? Interview hard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Well the money aint great ....69k aussie dollars?Under 40k euro and thats the MAX on the starting scale -which only rises to 72k aussie after 'professional development'....cost of living much lower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    If only I didn't qualify this year/have my dip yet to do I'd love to do this!!! Great way of combining my urge to go to Oz/my profession!
    When did you apply for it Kittex? Interview hard?

Hey fast mover,
    I applied Dec 07, was interviewed in the March 08. 2 weeks later, I was offered a start of July 08 (meaning arrival in June). I asked to move it to Jan 09, for various reasons, including needing more time to get sorted for such a big move.

The interview was straight-forward. Focused on assessment strategies, your reasons for wanting to move there, what you could contribute to the school and community. Anyone I've spoken to has gotten some variation of these topics.

You could actually go along and express an interest at this stage, but you wouldn't get an interview til after you had your Hdip.

ytareh wrote: »
    Well the money aint great ....69k aussie dollars?Under 40k euro and thats the MAX on the starting scale -which only rises to 72k aussie after 'professional development'....cost of living much lower?
    Yes, cost of living is lower and on this scheme you get significantly reduced rent.

Professional development is becoming an essential part of teaching. Most countries now operate a system which rewards teachers financially for keeping their skills updated and developing areas of interest.

The lower scale quoted there is for teachers with zero experience, straight out of college. Most teachers will be earning above 50K as your experience will be counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

kittex, thanks for drawing this to our attention.....also sick of looking for work here!

a quick question for you.....on the flyer it says about a presentation giving information etc. are the interviews held the same day? should i go along to the presentation expecting to be interviewed?

if you are accepted into the scheme, is there 100% obligation to take up the position? (july 09 is a good bit away at this point)

sorry for all the questions kittex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭peewee18988

Hi folks

I'm currently doing the h-dip in Trinity and will finish in June. I intend to head to Oz in summer 09.

Would they give me an interview on the basis that I am doing the dip at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Rodar08

I have the same question as Peewee above - I'm doing my PGDE in Nui Galway and want to know would they let me apply now?

Hi Guys, no worries, happy to answer anything.

To answer that HDip question...
    They will take you straight from the Dip, so technically, could interview you in November on the basis that you pass.
    But you'd have to have your Dip before they started your visa application. Earliest you could go then would prob be Jan 10. But these interviews will cover their teacher needs for the next 18 months so you could deffo be interviewed now.
    I would email them to express an interest. If they have too many inquiries, they might say to apply again in March for the next year, but at least then they'll know your name and be looking out for you.
    Everyone I've spoken to in the office is dead helpful, so no harm in asking. At very least they know you're interested, as they'll be recruiting again next year too. :)

Nead21 - You need to email them to book an interview slot. They are usually in the place for a day or two. So if you went to an evening presentation, you might get an interview for the next day.
    But I would say, do email them to express an interest before heading along. They'll get back to you with a time etc.

Also, if offered a job, you don't have to go no. The offer is also applicable for 18 months, so you could ask to go on the list for the following rounds (Jan 10, July 10, Jan 11)

I did this and didn't have to re-interview or anything. Was offered July 08, plumped for Jan 09 instead. It was not a problem.

You can express a preference for the type of location or general region in WA you'd like to go, but they will send you were the demand is at the end of the day.
    Other states do the same, but WA are the only one that then offer PR after 2 years. It's a nice reward if you do 2 years with them to get your permanent visa!

thanks for your help kittex :D
    emailed them yesterday and completing my forms to send back to them now.

when are you heading off? if your heading off before july will you keep us posted on how you're getting on??

looking forward to the presentation now and finding out more about it :D

Hi Nead, I'm counting down to my flight out on the 10th January. :eek:

I will totally keep you posted - let me know how your interview went too. And feel free to PM me if you want any advice about the interview questions. :)

• Advertisement

Will there be other opportunities, say 2012 or 2013 to do this?! Or is it a once off thingy?

I'm so jealous of you kittex..do keep us posted, I know I'll be reading with alot of interest!

Hi Fast_Mover,
    I think as people do their 2 years and move on, jobs will continue to come up, although quite a few love it in their town and stay. As far as I know, last year was the start of a long term plan, so there may be more chances over the next 18 months/2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hi folks,

Just a got sent a WA Government press release with some news you might be interested in -
    Immediate six per cent pay rise for teachers

The State Government today announced an immediate six per cent salary increase for Government school teachers and administrators after months of prolonged pay negotiations under the previous Labor Government.

During the recent election campaign, the Liberals promised an additional $120million for teachers’ salaries.

Premier Colin Barnett said the salary increase for teachers and school administrators would be back-dated to September 5, 2008.

Mr Barnett said the increase was part of the Liberal Party’s pre-election commitment of an additional $120million for teachers’ pay.

The increase would make Western Australian teachers the highest paid in Australia.

The six per cent increase would immediately see a first-year teacher’s annual salary grow from $48,425 to $51,331, a senior teacher’s salary from $70,868 to $75,120, a principal of a small school (under 100 students) from $77,744 to $82,409 and a principal of a large school (more than 700 students) from $114,593 to $121,469.

The Premier said the slow progress of negotiations had frustrated teachers and impacted negatively on the image of public education in WA.

“We needed to act quickly and in a decisive manner to address 12 months of failed negotiations on this issue,” he said.

“Education Minister Liz Constable and I met with the executive of the State School Teachers Union (SSTU) on September 25 and committed to deal with this issue as a matter of priority.

“We believe the salary of teachers and administrators should be increased by six per cent for the coming 12 months as a fair reward for their efforts and to compensate for changes in the nature of their work, the skill and responsibility required, and the conditions under which their work is performed.”

Mr Barnett said the six per cent increase would be absorbed into any final enterprise bargaining agreement reached with the SSTU.

Premier's office - 9222 9475

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭pooch90

Kittex, do you need to have your probationary year finished before you are viewed as qualified and able to apply? this would be something i'd be interested in in the future,sick of being messed around by the DES at this point....

pooch90 wrote: »
    sick of being messed around by the DES at this point....

+1

pooch90 wrote: »
    Kittex, do you need to have your probationary year finished before you are viewed as qualified and able to apply? this would be something i'd be interested in in the future,sick of being messed around by the DES at this point....
    HI Pooch,
    I don't think so, as I know of a few people who say they were interviewed straight from college; but I think it would obviously give you an edge to be more experienced.

And Xavi, yup indeed on the pay raise!
    On top of the discount on rent, salary packaging on a car, 9% pension contribution and the better weather and lifestyle, I'm a happy bunny to have made the choice.

Just an update on this programme:

I leave in 3 days :eek:

The Dept of Education and Training in WA are reviewing the programme from beyond 2010, as they have had a recent influx of teachers returning to the profession.
    Many had left to work in mining, but with the current economy and the recent pay rise for teachers, a lot of those are leaving the mines to go back to the classroom.

As far as I know they are still recruiting primary teachers for Jan 2010, but the secondary programme is under review.

I've been posted in a decent enough town, remote but reasonably well serviced. Just the curriculum and the heat to worry about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

best of luck and let us know how you get on, would love to read a regular update of how it all goes from you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That's good to know about the review of the secondary scheme. I was told by a colleague today that he plans on moving to Australia and this will definitely be something to think about.

Best of luck over there Kittex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Hi there,
    Did a search for primary teaching in Australia and this came up! : )

I know that Australia is looking for probated primary teachers but is it possible to work in Australia without being probated? If not, is it possible to get probation in Oz? 'No' will probably be the answer to the second question, but I just want to know my options with regard to primary teaching in Australia. Tried select education but link appears to be broken.

I'll be (hopefully!) graduating next year, and would like to go to Oz asap (due to unforeseen circumstances).

Thanks

• Advertisement

Kittex..How you getting on?! Would love to read an update whenever you get a chance!:)

Advertisement