Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Another sad day for Waterford city or town as it will end up if FG/FF/SF have their way, hope we all remember this come election time ! running out of sycophants and idiots to vote for at this stage !

Don't forget to include the Green Party in your hate list !

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rustyman101

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Don't forget to include the Green Party in your hate list !
    not around long enough or consistent enough to facilitate the dilution of the city, never said anything about hate, you did ! i just think this wont work out well for WD or WIT, I assume I'm allowed that opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

not around long enough or consistent enough to facilitate the dilution of the city, never said anything about hate, you did ! i just think this wont work out well for WD or WIT, I assume I'm allowed that opinion?

I suspect you're right, what an awful outcome, but we really are running out of viable election options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭914

Waterford and the South East will now be decades without a stand alone University unlike Dublin Cork Limerick and Galway you can all boast about having University and TU.

A major failing by our political representatives. The TU puts us on par with Athlone and Letterkenny (nothing against both towns) but just shows a lack or drive, forward thinking and ambition by our political representatives.

The South East has under performed for decades and government's solution is to consolidate two institutes into one, makes absolutely zero sense.

Just like Mary Butler and John Cummins, David Cullinane is no different, party first Waterford second, not even sure Waterford comes second with this crowd.

As opposition and 20k votes in the last election, Cullinane could have came out strongly about this and got the people behind him and have SF back a stand alone University in the South East but he did not, a major error on his part I feel.

I expected no less from Butler and Cummins, if TUSE was to relocated all of WIT outside of Waterford those two would be putting a spin on how beneficial it is for the region.

The Greens only in the door a wet day again Marc could have made noise about this and failed too.

Absolutely woeful from all the above.

Again it is now up to the people and businesses of Waterford to ensure we stay in the game as we have done through the decades after constant political failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Bards

914 wrote: »
    Waterford and the South East will now be decades without a stand alone University unlike Dublin Cork Limerick and Galway you can all boast about having University and TU.

A major failing by our political representatives. The TU puts us on par with Athlone and Letterkenny (nothing against both towns) but just shows a lack or drive, forward thinking and ambition by our political representatives.

The South East has under performed for decades and government's solution is to consolidate two institutes into one, makes absolutely zero sense.

Just like Mary Butler and John Cummins, David Cullinane is no different, party first Waterford second, not even sure Waterford comes second with this crowd.

As opposition and 20k votes in the last election, Cullinane could have came out strongly about this and got the people behind him and have SF back a stand alone University in the South East but he did not, a major error on his part I feel.

I expected no less from Butler and Cummins, if TUSE was to relocated all of WIT outside of Waterford those two would be putting a spin on how beneficial it is for the region.

The Greens only in the door a wet day again Marc could have made noise about this and failed too.

Absolutely woeful from all the above.

Again it is now up to the people and businesses of Waterford to ensure we stay in the game as we have done through the decades after constant political failings.
    I feel the only way we get equality for education and healthcare is to leave the Republic and become an independent City State

Even if soundings about this began to rumble as an option now I wonder would the Dublin Politico change their tune and realise just how we have been shafted over the last 100 years since the foundation of the state.

SF would certainly have to sit up and take notice as their reunited ireland dream would be shattered forever

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Like schools be moved now. Wouldn’t surprise me if the school of business was moved to Carlow from Waterford - or even put down in Wexford!

I see things have taken a turn this morning - I wonder will any of our politicians get off their hands;

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/04/30/union-branch-officers-resign-in-protest-over-tuse-vote/?fbclid=IwAR0YpjbiwikVTPfXSxmViQ3Q-a47ov1JQr6EHLiTItQRC8obcuOMjRGPdN8

Apologies it was meant as a joke. I agree with your opinion that it will work out poorly for WIT.

Bards wrote: »
    I feel the only way we get equality for education and healthcare is to leave the Republic and become an independent City State

Even if soundings about this began to rumble as an option now I wonder would the Dublin Politico change their tune and realise just how we have been shafted over the last 100 years since the foundation of the state.

SF would certainly have to sit up and take notice as their reunited ireland dream would be shattered forever

unfortunately, we should have gone with the directly elected mayor, it may have helped here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Honestly.

• Advertisement

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Honestly.

this process was always gonna be a train wreck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

What affect would it have on student numbers? would they increase in Waterford or decrease or stay the same more or less?

What affect would it have on student numbers? would they increase in Waterford or decrease or stay the same more or less?

I have asked our politician's that and the answer is "increasing the footprint of Waterford Campus" not one has been able to provide increased student numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I saw David Cullinane post on Instagram that : "it's great news that WIT and IT Carlow have submitted an application to become a technological University Onward and upwards for the South East"

As an opposition front bench TD for Waterford he should not be celebrating this, it's even more bewildering considering he's a left wing TD supporting a move even though the MOU was opposed by a majority. I thought David was all for the unions yet he seems to be brushing aside their concerns.

I saw David Cullinane post on Instagram that : "it's great news that WIT and IT Carlow have submitted an application to become a technological University Onward and upwards for the South East"

As an opposition front bench TD for Waterford he should not be celebrating this, it's even more bewildering considering he's a left wing TD supporting a move even though the MOU was opposed by a majority. I thought David was all for the unions yet he seems to be brushing aside their concerns.
    Davids for the party, will be able shout about this in KK,WX & CW.

Apologies it was meant as a joke. I agree with your opinion that it will work out poorly for WIT.
    Accepted Sir, I think we are both pretty much on the same page, unfortunately our goose is cooked another mish mash of campus and arenas, with potentially nobody happy in the end, by the time it dawns it will be too late, but at least Waterford didnt get it, only winners are UL, UCD, UCC & the rest ! least the morgue is coming along nicely......

twitter is full of happy TD's waving copies of this document in our faces.

jesus, they can be really disconnected from a large proportion of the electorate at times

When the Labour Party mayor of Wexford said the fateful words some years ago " If Waterford gets this university, Wexford is finished" cue the small dark man aka Howlin entering from stage left. He wants three equal sized campuses in south east. Cue slowdown of everything in WIT while Wexford is developed. This will be an educational disaster brought on us by our own regional politicians.

David has lost our vote.. That's 4 votes gone.. He'll be lucky to get back in himself now, let alone a 2nd candidate.. He's just another stooge for Dublin

• Advertisement

When the Labour Party mayor of Wexford said the fateful words some years ago " If Waterford gets this university, Wexford is finished" cue the small dark man aka Howlin entering from stage left. He wants three equal sized campuses in south east. Cue slowdown of everything in WIT while Wexford is developed. This will be an educational disaster brought on us by our own regional politicians.

Hogan and Howling are sipping on wine somewhere laughing their heads off at the fact Waterford politician's are doing their bidding.

And our gombeans are too stupid to see it.

914 wrote: »
    Hogan and Howling are sipping on wine somewhere laughing their heads off at the fact Waterford politician's are doing their bedding.

And our gombeans are too stupid to see it.

:D

I'd not be shocked if they were

:D

I'd not be shocked if they were

Ha, bidding. Although I wouldn't be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Lets remember at election time that Cullinane, Butler and O Cathasaigh are happy to entrust the future of third level education to the same minister who fobbed us off for years over cardiac care and handed BAM 2 billion extra for the childrens hosptial that isn't finished yet but we cant have an even near acceptable standard of healthcare. The same minister (Harris) doesn't have a level 6 cert or a job other than being a politician... it boggles the mind.

In addition to trusting Harris they're happy to trust Varadkar who said that decomposing bodies on the floor in the mortuary wasnt a priority of his and it was a 'strange story', never apologised for it either afaik just said his tone was adversial. He was also happy to do nothing in a child abuse case until media attention forced his hand (over a year before he done anything, Rte prime time - whistleblowers episode if anyone has a doubt).

So there you have it the 2 politicians responsible for helping to lift our region out of unemployment and lack of investment are happy to hand over 2 billion to BAM but cant find money to fund 24/7 cardiac care and if your dead body is decomposing on the floor and leaking fluids its not much of a concern. And thats who our TDs fully support without seeing anything as concrete as a plan drawn in crayons on colouring paper.

Lets remember at election time that Cullinane, Butler and O Cathasaigh are happy to entrust the future of third level education to the same minister who fobbed us off for years over cardiac care and handed BAM 2 billion extra for the childrens hosptial that isn't finished yet but we cant have an even near acceptable standard of healthcare. The same minister (Harris) doesn't have a level 6 cert or a job other than being a politician... it boggles the mind.

In addition to trusting Harris they're happy to trust Varadkar who said that decomposing bodies on the floor in the mortuary wasnt a priority of his and it was a 'strange story', never apologised for it either afaik just said his tone was adversial. He was also happy to do nothing in a child abuse case until media attention forced his hand (over a year before he done anything, Rte prime time - whistleblowers episode if anyone has a doubt).

So there you have it the 2 politicians responsible for helping to lift our region out of unemployment and lack of investment are happy to hand over 2 billion to BAM but cant find money to fund 24/7 cardiac care and if your dead body is decomposing on the floor and leaking fluids its not much of a concern. And thats who our TDs fully support without seeing anything as concrete as a plan drawn in crayons on colouring paper.

But we need to "trust the process"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    jesus, they can be really disconnected from a large proportion of the electorate at times

If they think they are going to win my vote with the TUSE they are flipp'n delusional.

BBM77 wrote:
    If they think they are going to win my vote with the TUSE they are flipp'n delusional.

This will definitely pi$$ a lot of voters off, I'm not surprised of this outcome, but its a kick in the teeth for those that have been fighting this for decades

BBM77 wrote: »

I've already said as much to David Cullinane that he has lost several votes here.. If more people contact him perhaps he might begin to listen..

FF and FG are definitely tied to the process but SF should be giving us another option and for the life of me I just don't understand their position on this 2nd rate University for Waterford and the SE

SF had twice the quota in WD, now depending on what tack they take run 1 or 2, not sure what DC could do to not get reere-elected lected. Maybe part thinks its more advantageous to spread the uni and gain more kudos in the wider SE, as I've said before unfortunately for the city its all party first electorate lucky if they 2nd or 3rd on the priority list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Deiseen

SF had twice the quota in WD, now depending on what tack they take run 1 or 2, not sure what DC could do to not get reere-elected lected. Maybe part thinks its more advantageous to spread the uni and gain more kudos in the wider SE, as I've said before unfortunately for the city its all party first electorate lucky if they 2nd or 3rd on the priority list.

Maybe it will end up with an TUI in Wexford/Carlow and a full University in Waterford.

Doesn't look good at the moment but if that's what we had in 5/10 years then it might not be so bad.

Advertisement