Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭914

Deiseen wrote: »
    Maybe it will end up with an TUI in Wexford/Carlow and a full University in Waterford.

Doesn't look good at the moment but if that's what we had in 5/10 years then it might not be so bad.

Don't see how that can happen, as WIT ITcarlow and wex will be one institute.

There will be no more Waterford, carlow, wexford it will just be south east TU.

That would require Waterford campuses breaking away from TUSE, would require approval from TUSE board, government, higher education authority etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Bards

914 wrote: »

That would require Waterford campuses breaking away from TUSE, would require approval from TUSE board, government, higher education authority etc.

Exactly.. Our dreams of a full University in Waterford are now over and SF are part of this whether they like it or not

Bards wrote: »
    Exactly.. Our dreams of a full University in Waterford are now over and SF are part of this whether they like it or not

Yep if anything this merger prevents us ever having a stand alone University in the South East, hence why there isn't a word of complaint from the University sector as they know TU's are no threat to them.

Looking from the outside the only two institutes that would meet TU status on their own are DIT and WIT.

This is what should have happened.

While this would also have not been a stand alone Uni, only having WIT and DIT as TU's would have allowed Waterford to raise above IoTs while still allowing WIT to advance to a stand alone Uni, that is now we'll and truly f***ed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Butter spread over too much bread,

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Yep if anything this merger prevents us ever having a stand alone University in the South East, hence why there isn't a word of complaint from the University sector as they know TU's are no threat to them.

Looking from the outside the only two institutes that would meet TU status on their own are DIT and WIT.

This is what should have happened.

While this would also have not been a stand alone Uni, only having WIT and DIT as TU's would have allowed Waterford to raise above IoTs while still allowing WIT to advance to a stand alone Uni, that is now we'll and truly f***ed

It’s laughable the whole lot - from those that pushed this on us (FG mainly & FF) to those meant to oppose it (Sinn Féin) & the lobby group was absolutely bone useless.

We get what we deserve - again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rustyman101

We get what we deserve - again.[/quote]

All, there will never ever be a full university in Waterford now, WD is locked into this sh**show for good, its done its over, establishment wins, other unis, big Phil, Hogan all sipping their cognac & smiling !

We have zero political clout here, so be happy with crumbs cos until we some how change the political landscape here that's all we will get and before anyone asks i dont have the answer.
    I remember i did voted for Cullen back in the day,
    i voted for mulligan last time would have been infinitely better than MB for the city,
    we have no competent FG politicians, Coffey may have been good but hes gone.

SF DC yeah competent without a doubt done a good job on the PA committee but a lot of their other politics dont do it for me. that leaves greens and indys, last indy was more interested in posturing to retirement,
    not sure about MOC, so long story short we not in a good place and it just got worse in my opinion.

As 1 of our long term goals no longer exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/06d75-minister-harris-grants-technological-university-status-to-athlone-and-limerick-institutes-of-technology/

Clonmel will have a campus. One of six! Can someone check if the Tipp HEA are on the TUSE board? I've a feeling they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Despite the concerns of the WIT staff, they were ignored and the application submitted.

Harris and his officials apparently ordered the two colleges to hire specific consultants to get the project over the line - which is interesting considering to get it over the line, they have to get it through the Dept of Higher Education????

No proper procurement procedure for these consultants!

Great reading in WNS this week from Darren Skelton.

There appears to be a lot of dodgy stuff going on here and hopefully it will be exposed.

FG has destroyed Waterford and FF are no better because of their asinine attempts to hold onto power at any cost!

The next election will be interesting but I also fear that David Cullinane has headed down the same route - the prospect of ministerial pensions is much more important than actually looking after the needs of your constituency!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

scout353 wrote: »
    FG has destroyed Waterford and FF are no better because of their asinine attempts to hold onto power at any cost!

The next election will be interesting but I also fear that David Cullinane has headed down the same route - the prospect of ministerial pensions is much more important than actually looking after the needs of your constituency!

I find it interesting that David Cullinane jumped onto the the TU bandwagon go quickly. There was an opportunity to appeal to Waterford voters by pushing the full scale stand alone university approach.

But if you look at pure politics of it Sinn Fein have a massive surplus of votes in Waterford so Cullinane doesn't need anymore to get elected and is probably popular enough all ready to bring in a running mate . The TU plays into to the Wexford ,Kilkenny and Carlow voters and those are constituencies where Sinn Fein want to grow their vote .

So in the Sinn Fein HQ supporting the TU would be seen as a good move politically . But of course once again Waterford suffers for political gain

imacman wrote: »
    I find it interesting that David Cullinane jumped onto the the TU bandwagon go quickly. There was an opportunity to appeal to Waterford voters by pushing the full scale stand alone university approach.

But if you look at pure politics of it Sinn Fein have a massive surplus of votes in Waterford so Cullinane doesn't need anymore to get elected and is probably popular enough all ready to bring in a running mate . The TU plays into to the Wexford ,Kilkenny and Carlow voters and those are constituencies where Sinn Fein want to grow their vote .

So in the Sinn Fein HQ supporting the TU would be seen as a good move politically . But of course once again Waterford suffers for political gain

What has bugged me with Cullinane is how he went to town on previous WIT president and willy Donnelly about having shares in companies started from WIT but not a word on Tom Boland on 1k a day and looks like every rule in the book was broke to appoint him.

In a way at this stage I would nearly prefer it to be called South Leinster TU and have a HQ in Carlow, that way I can really go to town on them all!!!

That said I think we will get HQ and it will be hailed as success then we will get new eng building and it will be hailed as to how committed the gov are to TUSE but at then end of the day it's a building that was promised back in 2007 and HQ should be a given so in fact it will mean **** all.

• Advertisement

Even our rebels are a bit crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Its awful to be politically screwed like this, but even worse is to see the screwing and to know the screwing is happening and hear the applause from our political class as they watch the screwing. You could not make this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

The Phoenix in this week's News & Star sums up Cullinane's complicitness well here:

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/05/04/phoenix-on-the-good-ship-tuse/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The Phoenix in this week's News & Star sums up Cullinane's complicitness well here:

is this a sf party policy or cullinanes own goal, theres a serious open goal here, particularly for the next ge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Bards

As I said to him... He has lost my families vote... If enough people message him he just might get the message that those votes he got last GE could just as easy evaporate the next GE when people see him as just another politician doing Dublins bidding

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

As I said to him... He has lost my families vote... If enough people message him he just might get the message that those votes he got last GE could just as easy evaporate the next GE when people see him as just another politician doing Dublins bidding

This wont derail him and he will still top the poll next time round. Its so frustrating the the development of Waterford as a city has been constantly stimied by the lack of Waterford politicians with "pull" over the last 30 years . Regional development , educational , social or medical needs are all trumped by having a cute hoor politician in your area.

This wont derail him and he will still top the poll next time round. Its so frustrating the the development of Waterford as a city has been constantly stimied by the lack of Waterford politicians with "pull" over the last 30 years . Regional development , educational , social or medical needs are all trumped by having a cute hoor politician in your area.

It should at least upset him. I think. By the way that you are being unfair to Martin Cullen. The catalogue of stuff that arrived during his tenure is quite long. Those who believe that the M8 just materialised when the NRA had plans ready to go for a normal two lane road from Paulstown to Waterford, are living in a dream world. His university quest was spoiled at cabinet by Mary Hanafin on an 8-7 vote I believe. But lets not get this thread derailed. We are being stuffed by Fine Gael and their little helpers in FF and GP. An opposition party in tow as well, SF, makes a complete hand.

Noel Frisby talking about the crystal site from 7 minutes on DT today

https://www.spreaker.com/user/wlrfm/deise-today-wednesday-may-5th-part-1

interesting, but the conversation after the fact is far more important, we re in serious trouble there!

Time for talking is over. Do something Mr Frisby.

• Advertisement

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Time for talking is over. Do something Mr Frisby.

ah shur no rush on him, he has his end well covered, avoiding dereliction tax with the car park, and he probably bought the land for half nothing, so, no rush

Id be talking to jon hearne/any local members etc.....shinners place huge value on ground up activism since that emergency egm a few years ago after a diastorious local/president elections

Why do dublin want to downgrade us out of city status

Id be talking to jon hearne/any local members etc.....shinners place huge value on ground up activism since that emergency egm a few years ago after a diastorious local/president elections

Why do dublin want to downgrade us out of city status

Your at nothing there, I also contacted all local Councillors, two SF Councillors replayed stating that David is fighting for Waterford and what he delivers is what Waterford needs

Your at nothing there, I also contacted all local Councillors, two SF Councillors replayed stating that David is fighting for Waterford and what he delivers is what Waterford needs

their in for some sh1t show,if they ever bring back those super meetings/rallies

Someone needs tell em,what is what about these issue,politians seem to lose sight of whats important when they get to dublin......

more needs doing,other than patting us,on head once every 5 years for a vote

their in for some sh1t show,if they ever bring back those super meetings/rallies

Someone needs tell em,what is what about these issue,politians seem to lose sight of whats important when they get to dublin......

more needs doing,other than patting us,on head once every 5 years for a vote

I'm not sure enough people care about the University issue. The same people seem to be the ones on social media commenting about it, with few likes and comments.

If this was a hospital issue it would be a different story.

The importance of a university to our economy was never made. Any locale with a proper university is measurably wealthier than one without, all other things being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

The importance of a university to our economy was never made. Any locale with a proper university is measurably wealthier than one without, all other things being equal.

If it had been explained properly to people that reason people here emigrate isn’t down to warmer weather it’s down to a lack of opportunity caused by a lack of investment caused by a lack of a university.

People leave to universities too, that’s true, but they can never return because there hasn’t been the FDI here (an issue in itself) but it’s the way the countries economy is calibrated.

Of course our politicians understand this they are working on a grander plan

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

I'm not sure enough people care about the University issue. The same people seem to be the ones on social media commenting about it, with few likes and comments.

If this was a hospital issue it would be a different story.

This is true, but a lot of people voting in Waterford are reactionary. The politicians in Waterford would want to take a second look at how elections go in Waterford. Just because people aren't kicking up a fuss doesn't mean they're not annoyed about an issue. Covid is the ongoing concern, once thats over the attention will shift back to what is going on and how we're being carved up yet again to buy votes and we're not that far away from an election that it wont be fresh in peoples minds.

Id fully expect Matt Shanahan to come out way ahead of everyone in the next election because he actually seems to be listening to people. Cullinane will get in and do well but not as good as last time. Other than that I'd put my money on Geoghegan getting in for West Waterford with the fourth seat is up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

wit does not deserve university status. The college is badly run. There is a lot of problems in wit. One of the main ones is the parking situation.

Like this was one of the posts on the first page, what hope do you have of convincing politicians when they probably deal with people like this day to day. Because of a fkin carpark situation, clearly someone who never had to park in ucc never mind trinity

• Advertisement

Of course our politicians understand this they are working on a grander plan

It's disgraceful alright, listening to yesterday's deise fm, you can see our politicians are lost on our most critical issues, they're completely lost in regards housing as well, I think we actually could be watching the end of the era of ffg lead governments

Advertisement