Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

wit does not deserve university status. The college is badly run. ...
    Like this was one of the posts on the first page, what hope do you have of convincing politicians when they probably deal with people like this day to day. Because of a fkin carpark situation, clearly someone who never had to park in ucc never mind trinity

The college is badly run is the standard throw back for students struggling in their degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The importance of a university to our economy was never made. Any locale with a proper university is measurably wealthier than one without, all other things being equal.

The argument of the importance of a university was not made to people in Limerick either I dare say, the case was made by powerful politicians who understood the economic argument and led from the front while in power. Our pols simply swallowed TUSE argument wholesale, with the exception of Shanahan who at least expressed and continues to express concerns. I understand that Ms Butler has been actually pro Carlow at every TUSE ZOOM conference.

Nothing would surprise me any more especially after the Cullinane performance while in opposition. Orders from Mary Lou I suppose.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    The argument of the importance of a university was not made to people in Limerick either I dare say, the case was made by powerful politicians who understood the economic argument and led from the front while in power. Our pols simply swallowed TUSE argument wholesale, with the exception of Shanahan who at least expressed and continues to express concerns. I understand that Ms Butler has been actually pro Carlow at every TUSE ZOOM conference.

Nothing would surprise me any more especially after the Cullinane performance while in opposition. Orders from Mary Lou I suppose.

Unfortunately, not surprised at this really. I have yet to see her actually represent Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rustyman101

BBM77 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, not surprised at this really. I have yet to see her actually represent Waterford.
    Mulligan would have been infinitely better for the city which would have helped the county by default, effective hatchet job done on his campaign, not that theres no issues around him,didnt like the switch from Indy to FF.

if you do that resign and stand under your new umbrella.
    But MB, between the boundary and the university, how could anyone with Deise interests at heart vote for her !
    hopefully DC will be brought down a peg or two at re-election but i doubt it, SF all the way for next gov, unstoppable now I think.

Mulligan would have been infinitely better for the city which would have helped the county by default, effective hatchet job done on his campaign, not that theres no issues around him,didnt like the switch from Indy to FF.

if you do that resign and stand under your new umbrella.
    But MB, between the boundary and the university, how could anyone with Deise interests at heart vote for her !
    hopefully DC will be brought down a peg or two at re-election but i doubt it, SF all the way for next gov, unstoppable now I think.

Plus, she voted against the abortion legislation when it came to the Dail vote. Which is unforgivable considering the people of her constituency voted overwhelming in favour of abortion legislation in the referendum. As a politician I literally cannot stand the women. Who the hell does she think she is that she can just ignore the will of the people in her constituency. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

BBM77 wrote: »
    Plus, she voted against the abortion legislation when it came to the Dail vote. Which is unforgivable considering the people of her constituency voted overwhelming in favour of abortion legislation in the referendum. As a politician I literally cannot stand the women. Who the hell does she think she is that she can just ignore the will of the people in her constituency. :mad:

She's the type of politician Waterford might have wanted into the 1950s, too bad it's 2021 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

She's the type of politician Waterford might have wanted into the 1950s, too bad it's 2021 though.

.... And she's the minister for mental health, fcuk me!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Who is pushing the agenda for a University for Waterford?

Is it the business owners who are looking for more cash?

Is it landlords who want to justify a rent increase or an increase in the value of their property?

I personally DO NOT want a University considering the implications of what

it could mean. It would have an effect on the cost of living in Waterford and the

social impact of many additional students and we've heard enough from that

quarter over the years!

Is it landlords who want to justify a rent increase or an increase in the value of their property?

it could mean. It would have an effect on the cost of living in Waterford and the

quarter over the years!

Yeah nailed it Ted that's it, landlords and the pubs, cos there would be no other benefits to the city.
    MNCs or R&D would see no benefit in university graduates on tap & heaven forbid a few businesses would make a profit !
    Jesus wept....

Yeah nailed it Ted that's it, landlords and the pubs, cos there would be no other benefits to the city.
    MNCs or R&D would see no benefit in university graduates on tap & heaven forbid a few businesses would make a profit !
    Jesus wept....

I'm still waiting!

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting!

On what ?
    An explanation of the abbreviations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭azimuth17

quarter over the years!

You wrote this on another thread some time ago: Big companies or big employers bring in so much! I previously worked with a company no longer with us but the amount of business that it generated within the local economy was immense! Small businesses/companies can disappear without missing them so much but larger companies can carry so much clout and are good for an area!

You do realise that a university is a large business I suppose and is unlikely to ever disappear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Poor but happy eh Oscar?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

quarter over the years!

You're right of course, we should all be agitating not for a University but for WIT to be shut down and all those dreadful students hunted out of the city. Cost of living would be rock bottom in our liberated city, I mean town. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

azimuth17 wrote:
    You wrote this on another thread some time ago: Big companies or big employers bring in so much! I previously worked with a company no longer with us but the amount of business that it generated within the local economy was immense! Small businesses/companies can disappear without missing them so much but larger companies can carry so much clout and are good for an area!

.... And it's always important to remember, collectively, sme's are the largest employer of the state, but mnc's are still critical to the whole thing

Poor but happy eh Oscar?

I've so much Harry that I don't know what to do with it! :D

I've so much Harry that I don't know what to do with it! :D
    Could i suggest subscribing to some educational material/courses might broaden your horizons,
    could also give you a new outlook and burn some your cash !

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭garyscargo

Well, even the TUSE or TUSEI acronym has become "indistinct" as Athlone and Limerick ITs will now become TUS (Technological University of the Shannon - Midlands Mid-West). They're already playing up the TUS acronym as meaning "start" in Irish (and I'm sure the branding will play down the mid-lands/West bit too, as will time). Should TUSE(I) still be the choice given TUS (a nice 3-letter acronym too)?

TUSE had a questionnaire a while back (linked on this thread somewhere) and the last 5 pages or so were all about perceptions of TUSE and it included suggestions for a "proper" name, so it won't be TUSE come January 1st next in all likelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

garyscargo wrote: »
    Well, even the TUSE or TUSEI acronym has become "indistinct" as Athlone and Limerick ITs will now become TUS (Technological University of the Shannon - Midlands Mid-West). They're already playing up the TUS acronym as meaning "start" in Irish (and I'm sure the branding will play down the mid-lands/West bit too, as will time). Should TUSE(I) still be the choice given TUS (a nice 3-letter acronym too)?

TUSE or TUSEI wont be the name of new TU, the new name should be released mid-summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭914

Should be Walton TU, WTU, that way we can claim the W stands for Waterford!

Joking aside, I wonder what the reaction would be from our neighbouring counties if (entertain me) it was just called Waterford TU or TU Waterford. Continuing working and developing upon the reputation that WIT has built up over the years globally.

Would we still hear "this is good for the region", "it doesn't matter what it is called", or would we have "it can not be called Waterford as it has to represent the region" while they huff and puff and threaten to pull it all down based on the name.

imacman wrote: »
    TUSE or TUSEI wont be the name of new TU, the new name should be released mid-summer

I reckon it might not be announced until TU is created, if the name is controversial they won't want that headache.

Shannon name only came about once limerick and Athlone got the green light

Wonder what name connects Waterford, Carlow and Wexford.

DTU all in Dublin
    MTU both in Munster
    TUS both connected by the Shannon.

What connects our three counties. Some ****e like Celtic TU.

Three Rivers Technological University.

Three Rivers Technological University.

I'd cry and the thought crossed my mind, but seen as KK has no campus and three sisters doesn't include carlow it's definitely a non runner.

914 wrote: »
    Should be Walton TU, WTU, that way we can claim the W stands for Waterford!

Joking aside, I wonder what the reaction would be from our neighbouring counties if (entertain me) it was just called Waterford TU or TU Waterford. Continuing working and developing upon the reputation that WIT has built up over the years globally.

Would we still hear "this is good for the region", "it doesn't matter what it is called", or would we have "it can not be called Waterford as it has to represent the region" while they huff and puff and threaten to pull it all down based on the name.

Should be called Glanbia TU.

After all it is going to remove all mention of Waterford the same way as Glanbia removed all mention of Waterford when Kilkenny Coop merged with Waterford Coop and closed all Waterford Coop factories and moved production to Kilkenny.

Seriously, Waterford TU would make sense as you say but the do as much damage to Waterford political brigade in Kilkenny and Wexford won’t want it and our pathetic Waterford politicians will just bend over and take it.

914 wrote: »
    I'd cry and the thought crossed my mind, but seen as KK has no campus and three sisters doesn't include carlow it's definitely a non runner.

The Barrow runs right through Carlow town.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭invara

Universities are almost exclusively branded after the places where they are. The fact that there are no naturally distinctive names for the place of Carlow/Waterford speaks to the political concoction of the new outfit. Munster TU is a bit of a dig at Limerick and Waterford. TUS is an awful brand, not least because it links the Athlone/Limerick to the community employment scheme, has no campus in Shannon town- but best of a bad lot.

It would be lovely, but insulting to Carlow to be called University of Waterford. Second best is to have South East in the name (Waterford is the capital of the SE, so it hints at the regional hierarchy if SE is not in the title it weakens Waterford), and if technology is left out the name, or played down that would be super too. SE University, SouthEastern (think NorthEastern in Illinois). It would also be good to style it SouthEastern University at Waterford, SouthEastern University at Wexford and SouthEastern University at Carlow, to ensure place is still emphasised.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

invara wrote: »
    Universities are almost exclusively branded after the places where they are. The fact that there are no naturally distinctive names for the place of Carlow/Waterford speaks to the political concoction of the new outfit. Munster TU is a bit of a dig at Limerick and Waterford. TUS is an awful brand, not least because it links the Athlone/Limerick to the community employment scheme, has no campus in Shannon town- but best of a bad lot.

It would be lovely, but insulting to Carlow to be called University of Waterford. Second best is to have South East in the name (Waterford is the capital of the SE, so it hints at the regional hierarchy if SE is not in the title it weakens Waterford), and if technology is left out the name, or played down that would be super too. SE University, SouthEastern (think NorthEastern in Illinois). It would also be good to style it SouthEastern University at Waterford, SouthEastern University at Wexford and SouthEastern University at Carlow, to ensure place is still emphasised.
    Unfortunately Technological has to be in the name , that's in the legislation.Such a horribly clunky old fashioned word too

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

https://finneganwaterford.wordpress.com/2021/05/20/northquays-uni/

This fairly nails it. Imagine the benefit to the city!

Agree re technological - all that’s missing is Flux Capaciter!!

• Advertisement

https://finneganwaterford.wordpress.com/2021/05/20/northquays-uni/

This fairly nails it. Imagine the benefit to the city!

Agree re technological - all that’s missing is Flux Capaciter!!

Great read. Makes sense and as much as I hate TU, it's happening no matter what we say or do. N&S reported this week that Tom Boland meet with both WIT and ITCarlow and he stated, this is it now, application lodged and once approved TU will be in place there is nothing to stop it

So it's coming whether we want it or not. For me it doesn't deliver what Waterford needs so now we need to shift focus on ensuring Waterford becomes the leader and driver of this.

Another decade is lost for the NQs now but delivering a TU campus on the site would 1. Show the ambition of delivering for Waterford 2. Actually have development on NQs site, transforming 3rd level ed and city centre of Waterford

Land is owned by council so there is no cost. How much are we planning on purchasing the crystal site?

Advertisement