Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A campus spin off to the North Quays would have the huge benefit of being a big wedge of public funded occupancy for decades to come.
    It would also mean a lot of rooms for rent locally so a large body of people to bring life to the centre via the bridge/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Lads, enthusiasm is terrific and we all know that Waterford should really have a full university, but proposing a move to North Quays while it is visionary, is a property solution and WIT has loads of property, it could take a decade or more if the will was there. In a place where a new engineering building has been on the go and not delivered since 2012 we might just think about sucking it up. The will is not there. We have been rolled over on this again and again. there is no sense that the rolling over will stop and the politics of the south east is still senseless, happy to spancel Waterford in the hope of delivering something to point at in each county town.

I think some sort of name like Caltech or Georgia Tech might appeal. SEtechU ? The Finnegan blog is excellent. Do people in Kilkenny "city" really regard Slieverue, Kilmacow etc as Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭garyscargo

914 wrote: »
    Should be Walton TU, WTU, that way we can claim the W stands for Waterford!

I quite like the name Walton University, and I'm actually surprised that there doesn't seem to be one anywhere else (e.g. USA) for such a familiar name. A simple, distinctive and easy to remember name seems to be a very good basis to build a global reputation on.

Officially it might be e.g. the Ernest Walton Technological University, but it could have a DBA/operational name of Walton University (in the same way that e.g. Maynooth University and Stanford University are operational, as opposed to official, names). The Technological Universities Act actually allows for this (Section 8(2)), though will require Ministerial approval.

And let's celebrate an Irish Nobel laureate for once! Ernest Walton was born in Dungarvan, Co Waterford, fair enough, but it's not like he figured out how to split the atom while eating a blaa on Ballybricken or anything, so any push back from our "neighbours" on the very tenuous Waterford connection would be ridiculous.

Three Rivers Technological University.

Yeah, the "three rivers" thing (trident?) crossed my mind too.

Similarly, again trying to be regionally inclusive: based on the 3 ancient SE Kingdoms of Munster, Ossory and Leinster, the term "Kings" or "Kingdoms" could feature. Examples: Three Kingdoms TU, Three Kings TU, or simply Kings TU. Sounds high-end too :pac:

Kings Academy! Boy, will new arrivals be disappointed! :pac:

• Advertisement

garyscargo wrote: »
    I quite like the name Walton University, and I'm actually surprised that there doesn't seem to be one anywhere else (e.g. USA) for such a familiar name. A simple, distinctive and easy to remember name seems to be a very good basis to build a global reputation on.

On a less serious note, the name Walton does bring to mind the show "The Waltons", along with them pretending to to so sickly nice to each other all the time, sharing beds, and here's hoping that any incestuous union (and shotgun wedding) doesn't result in something with three heads and four arses. Actually, on second thoughts, that seems to sum up the TU process nicely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭914

Connacht Ulster Alliance (GMIT, Sligo and Letterkenny) application submitted today to Minister Harris, another one to the club, this is getting really depressing at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Connacht Ulster Alliance (GMIT, Sligo and Letterkenny) application submitted today to Minister Harris, another one to the club, this is getting really depressing at this stage!

The term 'Technology University' will become synonymous with the term 'Mickey Mouse'.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    The term 'Technology University' will become synonymous with the term 'Mickey Mouse'.

It’s a rebranding exercise I think- like the RTCs 20 years ago. Probably amount to a cost saving exercise really with merged institutions- as positions come vacant they’ll be merged and shared- seem it happen before in other public bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

I dont think so, its just another rebranding exercise to cut funding to some institutes and to invest higher in others (think Dublin). Some will be regarded highly due to a lot of additional funding (think Dublin). Some institute areas will probably be cut slowly until there is one building left (think Tralee).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Yesterday’s Sunday Independent

What about it?

Sorry - thought piece posted

Fair play to Richard. Rather shocked the Blue Shirts favourite paper published it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Jeez and I thought TUSEI was bad

Athlone IT and LIT is being renamed as the Technological University of the Shannon: Midlands Midwest (TUS:MMW) .

That name sums up the whole TU concept in a nutshell : clunky, crowbarred in and one for everyone in the audience

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

imacman wrote: »
    Jeez and I thought TUSEI was bad

Athlone IT and LIT is being renamed as the Technological University of the Shannon: Midlands Midwest (TUS:MMW) .

That name sums up the whole TU concept in a nutshell : clunky, crowbarred in and one for everyone in the audience

Agreed. I prefer:
    Shannon Higher Institute of Technological Education (S.H.I.T.E.)
    Rolls off the, ahm, tongue more easily, no?

Agreed. I prefer:
    Shannon Higher Institute of Technological Education (S.H.I.T.E.)
    Rolls off the, ahm, tongue more easily, no?

I forgot, it just has to have the word University in there so;
    Shannon Higher Institutional Technological University
    It's a University; I S.H.I.T.U. not!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Muttley79

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/05/27/union-members-in-wit-and-it-carlow-vote-in-favour-of-merger/
    Waterford once again having to settle for second best as a city.whats next,our city will be down graded to town status with our politicians trying to tell us it's for the best.
    Cummins stating this will be an economic driver for the region while nearly every other town now has a TU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Muttley79 wrote: »
    https://waterford-news.ie/2021/05/27/union-members-in-wit-and-it-carlow-vote-in-favour-of-merger/
    Waterford once again having to settle for second best as a city.whats next,our city will be down graded to town status with our politicians trying to tell us it's for the best.
    Cummins stating this will be an economic driver for the region while nearly every other town now has a TU

I wouldn't listen to a word that fella says. He's only ever interested in gaining power and if it meant downgrading this city to a town I bet he'd be leading the crusade.

John cummins - a teacher is telling us what will drive economic growth?

So we need to listen to this unelected entitled clown now for what’s best for waterford?

• Advertisement

Yea Clonmel , Ennis and Thurles to become "university towns" soon to be followed by Wexford, Kilkenny, Killybegs, Castlebar, Wicklow, Mountbellew, Ringaskiddy Letterkenny, etc .There we be very few non-university towns left in Ireland soon , one for almost everyone in the audience. And sure don't worry about things like funding or new courses all you need to is the university name above the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Bards

imacman wrote: »
    Yea Clonmel , Ennis and Thurles to become "university towns" soon to be followed by Wexford , Kilkenny , Killybegs, Castlebar , Wicklow, Letterkenny, etc ,.There we be very few non university towns left in Ireland soon , one for almost everyone in the audience. And sure don't worry about things like funding or new courses all you need to is the university name above the door.

It's a **** show and the only politician to call it as so is Matt Shanahan... He'll be getting my Number 1. Shame on SF for rowing in behind the Govt. Parties.. This is the rock on which they will perish

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

John cummins - a teacher is telling us what will drive economic growth?

So we need to listen to this unelected entitled clown now for what’s best for waterford?

Like a teacher can offer valid points as well, its the track record and his reasoning that are the real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Like a teacher can offer valid points as well, its the track record and his reasoning that are the real problems.

One of Australias most competent prime ministers Paul Keating in the 90s, he over saw Australia through an economic boom and he very little formal education.

One of Australias most competent prime ministers Paul Keating in the 90s, he over saw Australia through an economic boom and he very little formal education.

The problem in Ireland is politician's believe they have a higher education than the majority of people and this is where you often seen them with the opinion of "you wouldn't understand", Cummins is notorious for trying to talk people down.

Been saying this for years; some of the greatest innovators and entrepreneurs, and even politicians, that this country has ever produced had little education. Irish third level is designed for careers in public service or middle management in large corporations. Does not encourage thinking outside the box. From someone with turd level education.(Still want to see a proper Uni here though :)

The problem in Ireland is politician's believe they have a higher education than the majority of people and this is where you often seen them with the opinion of "you wouldn't understand", Cummins is notorious for trying to talk people down.

The same fella is as thick as a double ditch! Monkey see monkey do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I wonder what departments/campuses Kilkenny and Wexford are going to get?

They will need to build the Wexford campus first and presently no plans for departments/campus in KK, that we know of anyway

• Advertisement

I think Kilkenny will get a Adult Ed/springboard presence but I don't ever see a full faculty or any undergraduate courses moving there. The Wexford campus isn't currently financially viable for ITCarlow so I imagine the New Wexford campus will be kicked down the road with vague promises it will go ahead at some stage.

Advertisement