Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

SubBusted wrote: »
    What's the point in having a university when there are no jobs in Waterford?

Build it and they will come. Along with a teaching hospital, airport upgrade, etc. Unless FG are still in power.

Never forget:

Fine Gael nationally has finally, officially, pledged to join in the fight for a university for Waterford. And its Education Spokesman Brian Hayes promised this week not to drop the cudgel until it is delivered.

While its’ local representatives have long been behind the campaign the party itself has been reluctant to commit itself. But that has now changed and amid fears that the government is going to refuse an upgrading of WIT when it responds to the Port Report, Mr. Hayes came to Waterford on Monday to confirm his support and that of his leader Enda Kenny.

He promised that Fine Gael would campaign vigorously on the issue in opposition and if unsuccessful would deliver on its commitment if returned to power at the next election. Meanwhile – again in the absence of their desired response from the current government – it would be made a prime issue in the local and European elections next year.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

Sully wrote: »
    Wasn't this announced not long after the formation of the 31st Dail? It's not another report - the report is already done. The Minister wanted further investigation into the whole Technical University and how it could be implemented? Its a pretty big change, but its going on a bit long now at this stage - surely we have enough reports at this stage for the government to know exactly what to do, how to do it and when to do it?

I do think that the government probably don't want to release a wide ranging report of suggesting mergers which will seriously rock the apple cart and cause huge disruption and anger. But I personally think we have far to many Universities and a merger would be a good thing.

Sweet Jesus.:rolleyes:

I think people need to stop with the lame duck argument of "Everyone else has it, so we should also". WIT should be upgraded on its own merits, not just because we are the only region without one.

It also has absolutely no national benefit. If it benefits the South East, we will be lucky.

No national benefit? It is to benefit WATERFORD and the South East. Hello????

Umpteen "reports" have highlighted the disparity suffered by the South East and the North West by successive gombeen Governments and their crony supporters.

Far from a "lame duck" argument" it is reality. Get over your support and allegiance to a bunch of gombeen men. And put your City first - like the rest of us.

The Atitude of FG hacks here is astonishing. The fifth urban area of the country in the third most populous region and we have to justify everything despite the national benefit been a no brainer and presented here a thousand times. They talk a big talk about parochialism and yet present the behaviour of O'Reilly, Hogan and Howlin as par for the course just because they are cabinet ministers. You would also swear that Trinity and UCD and all the other Uni's grew organically out of the ground when the reality is that as far back as Elizabetehn times the Universities in Ireland without exception have been founded with State support and money.

Amen to that. Great post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What's the point in having a university when there are no jobs in Waterford?

Universities have a huge multiplier effect on a local economy. The reason Galway is adding jobs as we are losing them is down to UCG and the spin off that occurs when companies follow the brain trail, Waterford by not having a university level facility is suffering a brain drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

mike65 wrote: »
    Universities have a huge multiplier effect on a local economy. The reason Galway is adding jobs as we are losing them is down to UCG and the spin off that occurs when companies follow the brain trail, Waterford by not having a university level facility is suffering a brain drain.

True.

People go on about tourists helping the economy.

Have people any idea how many year long tourists who spend literally millions over the years flush through WIT.

Problem is that Waterford never seems to have someone who will stand up and make their name heard in Government. Also WIT needs to completely renovate the main buildings to be as modern as the newer buildings.

The main building is like a prefabs compared to the others. All the W classes and the prefabs beside it need to be changed altogether.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

mike65 wrote: »
    UCG is currently ranked 287 in the Q S World University Rankings. Not exactly where the 'brain trail' is to be found?

UCG is currently ranked 287 in the Q S World University Rankings. Not exactly where the 'brain trail' is to be found?

You really believe UCG graduates are retarded or something because of that?

Whats your problem with UCG?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The Atitude of FG hacks here is astonishing.

Not everybody supports the University for the South East. It does not mean they are Fine Gael "hacks". People have a right to a difference of opinion. Plenty of WIT students were against it when I was a full time student and we did a quick poll of students for the WIT newspaper.
    The fifth urban area of the country in the third most populous region and we have to justify everything despite the national benefit been a no brainer and presented here a thousand times. They talk a big talk about parochialism and yet present the behaviour of O'Reilly, Hogan and Howlin as par for the course just because they are cabinet ministers. You would also swear that Trinity and UCD and all the other Uni's grew organically out of the ground when the reality is that as far back as Elizabetehn times the Universities in Ireland without exception have been founded with State support and money.

Nobody has said, in this government, that WIT wont be getting a university. Nobody is saying that WIT needs to become one without government aid. I support the call, as do the current government.
    7upfree wrote: »
    Build it and they will come. Along with a teaching hospital, airport upgrade, etc. Unless FG are still in power.

Regional airports are struggling. Waterford was not pulled from the funding pool unlike Galway which had its funding withdrawn. Imagine that - a government keeping an Airport in Waterford but removing it in a much bigger city.
    Never forget:

Fine Gael nationally has finally, officially, pledged to join in the fight for a university for Waterford. And its Education Spokesman Brian Hayes promised this week not to drop the cudgel until it is delivered.

While its’ local representatives have long been behind the campaign the party itself has been reluctant to commit itself. But that has now changed and amid fears that the government is going to refuse an upgrading of WIT when it responds to the Port Report, Mr. Hayes came to Waterford on Monday to confirm his support and that of his leader Enda Kenny.

He promised that Fine Gael would campaign vigorously on the issue in opposition and if unsuccessful would deliver on its commitment if returned to power at the next election. Meanwhile – again in the absence of their desired response from the current government – it would be made a prime issue in the local and European elections next year.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/fine-gaels-university-pledge/

Once again, two years ago this was put into the Programme for Government. Since then a move was made by the Education Minister to get the ball rolling on this. It wont happen over night.
    No national benefit? It is to benefit WATERFORD and the South East. Hello????

I was responding to a poster who said Ireland will benefit. It wont.
    Umpteen "reports" have highlighted the disparity suffered by the South East and the North West by successive gombeen Governments and their crony supporters.

Far from a "lame duck" argument" it is reality. Get over your support and allegiance to a bunch of gombeen men. And put your City first - like the rest of us.

Get your facts straight kid. The South East might just well benefit from a University, as per "Umpteen reports". WIT is in line to take this, as per these very reports. The current government made a committeemen and has followed up on them with a new plan rather than just slapping the awl title and walking away thinking "Job Done". Like you and others, I would love if they just did that. But I know that its a big change and even when its given the nod - many many people have said it wont be an overnight boom for Waterford or the South East. It will take a long time to come to benefit us even after giving the title and the governments job done on this.

I, and many others locally in and outside of Fine Gael, have backed the call in the hope that it will benefit the South East. Not because we are the only region without it. WIT has huge potential to become an even bigger player in our education sector given the chance due to its success to date as one of the better ITs in Ireland.

So the next time you put your anti-FG agenda to use and try pull on everything I say like I committed a mortal sin - be sure you know exactly what your talking about. You don't know me very well clearly and have proven that throughout this topic with completely daft unfounded attacks by twisting my post and throwing around unfounded accusations purely because I support Fine Gael. Not everybody who supports a political party will agree or support blindly whatever they do or say. One would guess you have your own political agenda at play here, without declaring that your own candidates/party are "better for the country" - perhaps because they also, can be called on their many faults and lack of support for Waterford.

Get your facts straight kid. The South East might just well benefit from a University, as per "Umpteen reports". WIT is in line to take this, as per these very reports. The current government made a committeemen and has followed up on them with a new plan rather than just slapping the awl title and walking away thinking "Job Done". Like you and others, I would love if they just did that. But I know that its a big change and even when its given the nod - many many people have said it wont be an overnight boom for Waterford or the South East. It will take a long time to come to benefit us even after giving the title and the governments job done on this.

I, and many others locally in and outside of Fine Gael, have backed the call in the hope that it will benefit the South East. Not because we are the only region without it. WIT has huge potential to become an even bigger player in our education sector given the chance due to its success to date as one of the better ITs in Ireland.

So the next time you put your anti-FG agenda to use and try pull on everything I say like I committed a mortal sin - be sure you know exactly what your talking about. You don't know me very well clearly and have proven that throughout this topic with completely daft unfounded attacks by twisting my post and throwing around unfounded accusations purely because I support Fine Gael. Not everybody who supports a political party will agree or support blindly whatever they do or say. One would guess you have your own political agenda at play here, without declaring that your own candidates/party are "better for the country" - perhaps because they also, can be called on their many faults and lack of support for Waterford.

Fact 1: you are putting a gombeen man party ahead of your City.

Fact 2: the majority of those fcukers in Dail Eireann are in there to line their pockets - at mine and your expense. Thus no anti-FG agenda - merely an anti-idiot agenda.

Fact 3: pointing out the blatantly obvious is far from "twisting your post" as you put it.

Fact 4: FG - as already pointed out - pledged to upgrade WIT. Like those before them they haven't the balls to do it, hiding behind waffle as always.

Fact 5: your statements on the benefits of a University to Waterford simply defy logic and belief. I think you used the term daft above. How very apt when describing outbursts like that. Period.

Those facts straight enough for you?

• Advertisement

Nobody has said, in this government, that WIT wont be getting a university.

Oooops.:o:D Talking about getting facts straight:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0325/1224293045357.html

Fri 03 Mar 2011

No university status for WIT, says Quinn

RUAIRÍ QUINN insisted there would be no “rebranded university” as long as he was Minister for Education. “I wish to be honest with members,” he said.

The Minister was replying to Waterford Independent TD John Halligan, who asked if a promise in the programme for government to explore a multi-campus technical university in the southeast meant full university status would be delivered.

Also here:

http://www.courses4u.ie/news/571/No_new_university_status,_says_Quinn.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fact 1: you are putting a gombeen man party ahead of your City.

An opinion. There is absolutely nothing to suggest I am putting anybody ahead of Waterford. I support the University call and I want to see it being implemented.
    Fact 2: the majority of those fcukers in Dail Eireann are in there to line their pockets - at mine and your expense. Thus no anti-FG agenda - merely an anti-idiot agenda.

An opinion again. Absolutely no basis on fact.
    Fact 3: pointing out the blatantly obvious is far from "twisting your post" as you put it.

It clearly is. I pointed out in black and white my views on the matter which so far don't contradict the governments current view. Your making out something to be there when its not.
    Fact 4: FG - as already pointed out - pledged to upgrade WIT. Like those before them they haven't the balls to do it, hiding behind waffle as always.

Putting it then into the Programme for Government (which they could have dismissed after the election) and making moves on a proposal for implementing such a University that keeps everyone happy (remember; its not just Waterford looking for an upgrade) and is best for our education system.
    Fact 5: your statements on the benefits of a University to Waterford simply defy logic and belief. Period.

Well considering you are claiming it benefits the South East and I agreed with you, than I guess you have just confirmed your own posts are completely daft and without any foundation on fact.
    Those facts straight enough for you?

All opinions and claims. You would have something if the government didn't do anything about the University and I made excuses for them. That would be more of a fact. Your speculating that they wont do anything and your claiming I agree with them (or will). Your wrong. Therefore, its an opinion on me and not a fact.

Give the spin a rest. I prefer to talk to people who have some bit of a brain between their ears and are willing to properly engage in a debate and not just rant and post a load of unfounded crap that makes absolutely no sense.

We all see the benefits for Waterford & the South East. We have campaigned for it. We have called for it. We want it. Fact. If its not implemented as a result of a cop out by this government, you wont see me standing by them and saying "Sure, they did their best". Fact.

Oooops.:o:D Talking about getting facts straight:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0325/1224293045357.html

Fri 03 Mar 2011

No university status for WIT, says Quinn

RUAIRÍ QUINN insisted there would be no “rebranded university” as long as he was Minister for Education. “I wish to be honest with members,” he said.

The Minister was replying to Waterford Independent TD John Halligan, who asked if a promise in the programme for government to explore a multi-campus technical university in the southeast meant full university status would be delivered.

Also here:

http://www.courses4u.ie/news/571/No_new_university_status,_says_Quinn.html

Now that is interesting because WIT have made an application for a new type of University which is what Quinn is proposing. That's based on a fact.
    THE SOUTHEAST is set to win its long battle for university status, despite strong opposition from some university presidents and senior figures in the Higher Education Authority.

Sources say approval for a technological university of the southeast is now “inevitable” as it has strong support from several senior Cabinet figures, including Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan and Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin.

Mr Hogan and Mr Howlin represent Kilkenny and Wexford respectively in the Dáil.

The process, which will see the institutes of technology in Waterford and Carlow transformed into a technological university, begins next month when Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn agrees new authority rules governing the establishment of a technological university.

This will open the way for the institutes of technology to apply for technological university status.

Approval for a technological university of Dublin – bringing together Dublin Institute of Technology and institutes of technology in Tallaght and Blanchardstown – is also thought likely.

One university president said yesterday: “There will be at least one – and possibly more – technological universities up and running before long. That’s certain.”

The debate on recasting the institutes as technological universities has been bitter and divisive over the past six weeks. University presidents have warned the move could damage the international reputation of Irish education by lowering standards.

There has also been a heated debate at the HEA board, with opinion divided about the criteria which institutes should meet before they become eligible to apply for a new status as technological universities.

The authority is due to finalise these rules before the end of the month but sources say the debate is now being led by Ministers.

One senior source said: “The HEA can be as exacting as they like in drawing up the new rules. The southeast region has a very strong political wind behind it. It is getting university status . . . the only question is when.”

The southeast has run a decade-long battle for university status. The region has one of the lowest third-level participation rates in the State.

After the collapse of the TalkTalk call centre with the loss of 575 jobs in October, Mr Hogan and IDA chief executive Barry O’Leary argued that a university in the southeast could transform the region’s troubled economy.

The Hunt report on higher education last year ruled out the establishment of new universities but held out the prospect of some institutes of technology being redesignated as technological universities, provided strict criteria were met.

University presidents say fewer than 20 per cent of academic staff in the institutes hold PhDs compared to an average of more than 75 per cent in the universities.

In recent years, there has been criticism that the institutes – formerly regional technical colleges – have moved away from their original mission of supporting industry. All now offer an extensive range of arts and humanities courses. Under the new rules, the technological universities will be expected to focus on science and technology.

The Hunt report said the field of learning in any new technological universities must be “closely related to labour market skill needs with a particular focus on programmes in science, engineering and technology and including an emphasis on workplace learning”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0117/1224310362772.html

Ah, Sully you're a gas man!

Facts (as pointed out) are now "opinions and claims" according to you.

Again defending the gombeen men. And you are querying the brainpower of others.........

facepalm11.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good man 7upfree, you've proved beyond doubt you can't actually debate or argue anything, you've lowered yourself to idiotic faceplam images.
    :rolleyes:

Sully is spot on, much of what you have posted is your view and/or opinion and isn't actually factual.

As an example to help you on your way I'd like to point out that the example below isn't actually a FACT as you incorrectly claim and is instead just simply an opinion:

Cabaal wrote: »
    Good man 7upfree, you've proved beyond doubt you can't actually debate or argue anything, you've lowered yourself to idiotic faceplam images.
    :rolleyes:

Sully is spot on, much of what you have posted is your view and/or opinion and isn't actually factual.

As an example to help you on your way I'd like to point out that the example below isn't actually a FACT as you incorrectly claim and is instead just simply an opinion:

Well, Cabaal, yourself and Sully are opposite sides of the same coin, so it wouldn't really worry me.:)

Sully if a long long way from spot on - in any language.

I feel sorry for you 7upfree, I really do. You haven't bothered to bring us any decent educated balanced discussion. Your posts always consisted of idiotic silly rants with no substance. One can always rant about the government based on cold hard facts, or anything for that matter. But yours consists of speculation and self believed opinions which isn't concrete.

Your claiming fact that the government wont give us a University and thus the government have let everyone down. News to me but apparently I am in on the whole well known conspiracy you have yet to prove and I am backing the party to the hill on this one which is also news to me.

I do applaud you for trying though. You did come back to me with an article suggesting we wouldn't get University and that would, on the face of it, prove your point. It would prove that FG/Lab never had any intention of holding to their pre-election promises and post-election commitments given in writing and verbally. That was a hard fact.

But I was able to point you to an article (there is one on the same site you linked also) that clarifies exactly what is being done and since doing that, you have had no choice but to drop to a new level by scrambling quickly to put up a meme instead of hitting back with some other well researched facts. I can think of at least one argument that you could have put forward, which would have made it difficult for me to defend, but you couldn't. Because you cant debate or argue with facts. Your post just consist of odd rambles and rants targeting me, anyone who doesn't agree with you (regardless of their political beliefs) and anyone who supports in any shape or form the current government.

I feel sorry for you 7upfree, I really do. You haven't bothered to bring us any decent educated balanced discussion. Your posts always consisted of idiotic silly rants with no substance. One can always rant about the government based on cold hard facts, or anything for that matter. But yours consists of speculation and self believed opinions which isn't concrete.

Well right back at ya buddy. Speculation? When a Government minister has declared that he won't see a 'rebranded" uni whilst he's in office?

When a (current) Government minister when in opposition (as per usual) then reneges on a promise not to "put the cudgel down" until we are granted University status?
    I do applaud you for trying though. You did come back to me with an article suggesting we wouldn't get University and that would, on the face of it, prove your point. It would prove that FG/Lab never had any intention of holding to their pre-election promises and post-election commitments given in writing and verbally. That was a hard fact.

Sully, which is it? Fact or fiction? Your posts really are, to put it mildly, a little schizophrenic, to say the very least.
    But I was able to point you to an article (there is one on the same site you linked also) that clarifies exactly what is being done and since doing that, you have had no choice but to drop to a new level by scrambling quickly to put up a meme instead of hitting back with some other well researched facts. I can think of at least one argument that you could have put forward, which would have made it difficult for me to defend, but you couldn't. Because you cant debate or argue with facts. Your post just consist of odd rambles and rants targeting me, anyone who doesn't agree with you (regardless of their political beliefs) and anyone who supports in any shape or form the current government.

And what, precisely, is "being done" Sully? Enlighten me - I'm all ears.

You started your reply with a pity statement, so I'll finish mine with one. I feel very sorry, indeed I pity, someone like yourself. Obviously intelligent and well-educated. And who swallows party propaganda hook, line, and sinker. With little or no question.

Your posts are peppered with "what ifs" and "maybe" in your rush to defend you masters. Very admirable indeed. Not.

This City will always come first in my book. Not some goombeenesque political ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Now that is interesting because WIT have made an application for a new type of University which is what Quinn is proposing. That's based on a fact.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0117/1224310362772.html

I do have to wonder though why both howlin and hogan welcome the decision do they have plans to carve up the best bits of the current wit and transpose them to the newly created kilkenny and wexford campuses, in the newley upgraded wit University of the S.E

Watch this space is all ihave to say, cause i wouldnt trust those two gobsh**es as far as i could throw them.

FG and Lab have form on issues like this before, only time will tell aka Austin deasey threated to resign and bring down the Govt. if WRH was not located in Waterford as the then FG Govt wanted in Kilkenny, will any of our present T.D's have the courage to do the same if called for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Not everybody supports the University for the South East. It does not mean they are Fine Gael "hacks". People have a right to a difference of opinion. Plenty of WIT students were against it when I was a full time student and we did a quick poll of students for the WIT newspaper..

Hold the press.Majority of 19 to 22 year olds are contrarian:D

So what. That is unrepresentative.I went to WIT too and there was no shortage of Students there whose only reason for being there was that they didn't get their first preference in some other college or University.The student body in WIT are by and large from the rest of the region anyway. It was a parochial atitude that was far from uncommon.Slag of WIT because it wasn't in their backyard.We can include you in their numbers judging from your earlier posts.But judging by your continuous defence of FG that is probably just a pathalogical characteristic of staying within "your herd"

Regional airports are struggling. Waterford was not pulled from the funding pool unlike Galway which had its funding withdrawn. Imagine that - a government keeping an Airport in Waterford but removing it in a much bigger city.

Hardly a much bigger city. But I would atribute this to Varadker one of the decent few more than FG policy.There is also the issue of the SAR facility wihich is the one issue that the region is unified on. But think 1200 new jobs in a year and 60 miles from Shannon and Knock no wonder they are sanguine about it.

Once again, two years ago this was put into the Programme for Government. Since then a move was made by the Education Minister to get the ball rolling on this. It wont happen over night..

A move:D

I was responding to a poster who said Ireland will benefit. It wont.

It will. it will provide a major societal boost and consolidate major regional spatial issues and attract investment. We are a part of Ireland FFS.

• Advertisement

Well right back at ya buddy. Speculation? When a Government minister has declared that he won't see a 'rebranded" uni whilst he's in office?

When a (current) Government minister when in opposition (as per usual) then reneges on a promise not to "put the cudgel down" until we are granted University status?

Good man, your making an effort! Indeed, 'rebranded' appears to be that WIT wont be a University like other regions currently have. That's ruled out. Instead, the Minister has changed the approach this government will be going with. He wishes to create a Technology University, which would be different.

There you have finally found something to poke FG/Lab supporters with. Shame it had to be pulled out. Will you go for the second problem with this governments plan since being elected? Its a lot better to discuss with facts and not stuff plucked from thin air!

Sully, which is it? Fact or fiction? Your posts really are, to put it mildly, a little schizophrenic, to say the very least.

It is a fact that Quinn isn't giving WIT a University like UCD/Trinity and so on. It is not a fact that he isn't giving WIT the University status. The question that we should be discussing is; which is important? Will this new proposal be a watered down university status to keep people happy with absolutely no meat to it? That is one of my concerns but its hard for me to shout how much a disgrace it *might* be until I actually get the final details on what he is proposing.

But hey, lets just stick to the nonsense rather than dealing with the actual important issues.

And what, precisely, is "being done" Sully? Enlighten me - I'm all ears.

I tend not to repeat myself to someone who doesn't make an effort. If you cant see the efforts being made, than I cant do much for you. Ill put it down to selective quoting which seems to be a habit.
    You started your reply with a pity statement, so I'll finish mine with one. I feel very sorry, indeed I pity, someone like yourself. Obviously intelligent and well-educated. And who swallows party propaganda hook, line, and sinker. With little or no question.

Your posts are peppered with "what ifs" and "maybe" in your rush to defend you masters. Very admirable indeed. Not.

This City will always come first in my book. Not some goombeenesque political ideology.

Are you reading your posts and somehow getting the username on the side mixed up?! Because you have described your posting quality down to a T! All "what ifs" and "maybe" - which is fine, if we were talking about an actual serious issue and not "Full Stop. No University. Disgraceful! *waves finger*"
    Bards wrote: »
    I do have to wonder though why both howlin and hogan welcome the decision do they have plans to carve up the best bits of the current wit and transpose them to the newly created kilkenny and wexford campuses, in the newley upgraded wit University of the S.E

Watch this space is all ihave to say, cause i wouldnt trust those two gobsh**es as far as i could throw them.

FG and Lab have form on issues like this before, only time will tell aka Austin deasey threated to resign and bring down the Govt. if WRH was not located in Waterford as the then FG Govt wanted in Kilkenny, will any of our present T.D's have the courage to do the same if called for?

It is the proposal that the whole region will benefit with campuses spread out. This is being proposed by WIT also, not just the government. They are South East Ministers - if its good for the South East which many argue, than its good for them.
    Hold the press.Majority of 19 to 22 year olds are contrarian:D

So what. That is unrepresentative.I went to WIT too and there was no shortage of Students there whose only reason for being there was that they didn't get their first preference in some other college or University.The student body in WIT are by and large from the rest of the region anyway. It was a parochial atitude that was far from uncommon.Slag of WIT because it wasn't in their backyard.We can include you in their numbers judging from your earlier posts.But judging by your continuous defence of FG that is probably just a pathalogical characteristic of staying within "your herd"

Awful shame to be generalising students. What would your response be if a percentage of lecturers felt the same? What would they know?!
    Hardly a much bigger city. But I would atribute this to Varadker one of the decent few more than FG policy.There is also the issue of the SAR facility wihich is the one issue that the region is unified on. But think 1200 new jobs in a year and 60 miles from Shannon and Knock no wonder they are sanguine about it.

True, but we keep going on about how Galway gets all the jobs and how the government are paying more attention to them.
    It will. it will provide a major societal boost and consolidate major regional spatial issues and attract investment. We are a part of Ireland FFS.

It will benefit the South East more so than the rest of the country. We don't benefit from other Universities in their respective regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

It will benefit the South East more so than the rest of the country. We don't benefit from other Universities in their respective regions.

Ireland Inc Benefits. that's the bottom line.

If a region is able to fulfill its role and be a net contributor the the national coffers, surley that is better than gettng monet ad finitum just to prop up the economy.

I.E Give a man water and he will be grateful, Give a man the means to dig a well than everybody benefits.

It is the proposal that the whole region will benefit with campuses spread out. This is being proposed by WIT also, not just the government. They are South East Ministers - if its good for the South East which many argue, than its good for them. .

Yes the Fine Gael Mantra!One for every county.

Awful shame to be generalising students. What would your response be if a percentage of lecturers felt the same? What would they know?! .

What is shameful about it? This is not an unusual experience. Books have been written movies have been made.Proverbs have been made.You're not trying some PC angle are you? Desperation indeed.

True, but we keep going on about how Galway gets all the jobs and how the government are paying more attention to them..

Which is borne out by facts.Not only that the quality of the jobs by comparison are top tier when you see the agricultural derivative industry here. Plenty of oppottunity for Glanbia and TSSG to work together I think not.

Man this is pure horse sh1t. If this is the case then Ireland does not benefit from Universities full stop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well, Cabaal, yourself and Sully are opposite sides of the same coin, so it wouldn't really worry me.:).

Which coin is this exactly?

Sully, having read through your rant post above, it is becoming quite apparent that, rather than face the realities, you are resort to - gasp - personal insults. *WAVES FINGER INDEED*.

You're in the minority here buddy - there's a fact for you. Waterford remains under the cosh with this latest mob - they're no different to the last. And for all your pontificating and tut-tuts that's the reality my friend. The sooner you realise it the better.

Ha ha! Love the one about South East ministers though. Fair play to ya Last time FG/Lab were in power Howlin moved the ambulance control to Wexford.

Yes the Fine Gael Mantra!One for every county.

Its a South East university. Are you suggesting we be selfish and not spread a campus across the region, keeping it just in Waterford? Both WIT and the campaigners are calling/looking for a University across the South East. The main issue is and always has been, when (not really if) university is granted; will Waterford be the main campus? Now there is a new issue, which again you and 7up cant seem to grasp or discuss, whether or not the South East will get a decent Uni status and not just some watered down proposal to tick a box.

What is shameful about it? This is not an unusual experience. Books have been written movies have been made.Proverbs have been made.You're not trying some PC angle are you? Desperation indeed.

I was a student in WIT. Many of my friends were students in WIT. I know many other students in WIT, past and present. The group that I hung around with and know are not the stereotypical student taking state aid and money from their parents at the same time, going out on the piss and not really giving a **** about college just pissing their way through to say they have a degree. If WIT was producing this class of student as an IT, it wouldn't be considered as good as it is at the moment nor would it be suggested for the University status.

As an aside, on these very forums I have criticised a select group of the student population who are very like you describe. But not everyone is and the majority of students most certinally are not. Were you?
    Which is borne out by facts.Not only that the quality of the jobs by comparison are top tier when you see the agricultural derivative industry here. Plenty of oppottunity for Glanbia and TSSG to work together I think not.

But lets turn a blind eye when things go our way and not Galways way eh?
    Man this is pure horse sh1t. If this is the case then Ireland does not benefit from Universities full stop.

Its just my opinion and perhaps I am wrong on my judgement. Perhaps it is horse ****e. But shouldn't Waterford be booming already with all the universities pumping money into every county and region? We should be awash with money and jobs. Yet, we are not.

The campaign sole arguments are that we are neglected seeing as everyone else has it and that Wateford and the South East need a University to give it the boost such brings to the region its in. People believe that more businesses will double back when they look at Ireland and say to the Minister(s) "Hey, I see Waterford and the South East have a University. Plus, you have an airport with a good access link thanks to the road improvements. Top that, there is even a bypass and motorway. Surely this is the place to be locating - much stronger educated students than the ITs with great transport links."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Its a South East university. Are you suggesting we be selfish and not spread a campus across the region, keeping it just in Waterford? Both WIT and the campaigners are calling/looking for a University across the South East. The main issue is and always has been, when (not really if) university is granted; will Waterford be the main campus?
    Huh? That has never been an issue! The whole university campaign has always been about WIT getting university status. There has never been any chance that WIT wouldn't be the main campus. It was always going to be WIT as the university with perhaps small campuses in Kilkenny and Wexford.

The campaign has been driven mostly by Waterford people - they are not looking for a university across the South East, they are looking for a University of the South East, located in Waterford City.

Also interesting that you say "when (not really if)" as if a university was always going to happen, because it is never going to happen now. Fine Gael and Labour made their pre-election promises that WIT would get university status but when elected they immediately (in their programme for government) decided that it won't happen, only a technological university to be created in the South East. Now the best we can hope for, if it ever comes to pass, is that WIT will be a merged twin campus technological university with Carlow IT.

Huh? That has never been an issue! The whole university campaign has always been about WIT getting university status. There has never been any chance that WIT wouldn't be the main campus. It was always going to be WIT as the university with perhaps small campuses in Kilkenny and Wexford.

The campaign has been driven mostly by Waterford people - they are not looking for a university across the South East, they are looking for a University of the South East, located in Waterford City.

Also interesting that you say "when (not really if)" as if a university was always going to happen, because it is never going to happen now. Fine Gael and Labour made their pre-election promises that WIT would get university status but when elected they immediately (in their programme for government) decided that it won't happen, only a technological university to be created in the South East. Now the best we can hope for, if it ever comes to pass, is that WIT will be a merged twin campus technological university with Carlow IT.

There appears to be a fear that Waterford wont be the main base for the University and that either Hogan or Howlin will get it in their back yard. It is widely accepted that the University won't be located just for Waterford.

In regards to your last point. I am 100% in agreement with you and this is what I feel we should be discussing and highlighting here and not some people twisting my posts to try catch me out believing that I don't give two hoots for Waterford and ill just agree with what the government says an does.

Those who followed this will recall that I posted expressing concern when the programme for government seemed to shy away from Waterford and I called for clarification on what this proposal in the programme would mean for Waterford. I was also actively involved in the campaign from Young Fine Gael in WIT & Waterford to make it party policy - a campaign driven by a lot of local members in the media and behind closed doors.

The only reason why I am not jumping up and down furiously with the proposal for a different type of university is because I have absolutely no idea what exactly the details of this proposal are and how they will benefit Waterford and the South East. There has been a widespread cautious welcome and it appears that hardly any has jumped the gun and called for resignations or claiming promises were broken.

We were promised a University and I want this government to deliver on that and I can see that, to-date, ongoing work is being done to do so which is an indisputable fact. What is fact is that we are not being given a University like UCD or Trinity, this is something that Minister Quinn has stated. What is a fact is that we are being given a University, but of a new type. A type we know little or nothing about yet and something hardly anybody wishes to discuss.

Where would be likely to get it if not WIT?

• Advertisement

Its a South East university. Are you suggesting we be selfish and not spread a campus across the region, keeping it just in Waterford? Both WIT and the campaigners are calling/looking for a University across the South East.

It's not selfishness it is economic sense.This is FG spin so that the institution will be spread across numerous counties so grubby little FG and Labour politicians can claim to have brought some pork home.It makes no sense otherwise.

I was a student in WIT. Many of my friends were students in WIT. I know many other students in WIT, past and present. The group that I hung around with and know are not the stereotypical student taking state aid and money from their parents at the same time, going out on the piss and not really giving a **** about college just pissing their way through to say they have a degree. If WIT was producing this class of student as an IT, it wouldn't be considered as good as it is at the moment nor would it be suggested for the University status.

I don't care a fig where you went to college. I went to college in WIT and there was no shortage of knockers there. That isn't the point.The point is your survey means nothing.

As an aside, on these very forums I have criticised a select group of the student population who are very like you describe. But not everyone is and the majority of students most certinally are not. Were you?

A select group.Jesus Christ are they a society or something?
    But lets turn a blind eye when things go our way and not Galways way eh?

Nobody is turning a blind eye to anytjing except you.A blind eye to FG piss poor performance. A blind eye to FG piss poor ineffective Waterford politicians.And a blind eye to the strokes been pulled by FG parochial TD

BTW when did things "our way" and not Galways? It must have been so f*cking brief and happened when I blinked.Do tell when we got one up on the much bigger city as you described it.
    Its just my opinion and perhaps I am wrong on my judgement. Perhaps it is horse ****e. But shouldn't Waterford be booming already with all the universities pumping money into every county and region? We should be awash with money and jobs. Yet, we are not. .

I've read this a dozen times and it still doen't make sense. You're agreeing with me and arguing with me at the same time.

The campaign sole arguments are that we are neglected seeing as everyone else has it and that Wateford and the South East need a University to give it the boost such brings to the region its in. People believe that more businesses will double back when they look at Ireland and say to the Minister(s) "Hey, I see Waterford and the South East have a University. Plus, you have an airport with a good access link thanks to the road improvements. Top that, there is even a bypass and motorway. Surely this is the place to be locating - much stronger educated students than the ITs with great transport links."

And where is the flaw here in the Arguement? It is true or it isn't.And if it isn't then there should be no reason that the IDA is not able to attract say 1000 jobs into the region.

Advertisement