Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

RYGCat wrote: »
    Big IoTs? According to the most recent HEA stats (2013/14) on the stats section of the HEA website, the top four IoTs in size are: DIT, Cork IT, WIT and......... IT Carlow! Bigger than LIT and GMIT.
    Obviously a mistake by the HEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Lots of Carlow dick measuring going on here http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057405692/1

imacman wrote: »
    Lots of Carlow dick measuring going on here http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057405692/1

It's interesting that the think Carlow IT is so great but yet nobody sought University Status for the Institutiion. It never entered their heads until WIT made the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

It's interesting that the think Carlow IT is so great but yet nobody sought University Status for the Institutiion. It never entered their heads until WIT made the pitch.

As I said on their thread they have a go at WIT but still want to merge , they can't have it both ways.Let them get back to talking about how fast they are growing ( It's like small angry man syndrome but for a county)

imacman wrote: »
    As I said on their thread they have a go at WIT but still want to merge , they can't have it both ways.Let them get back to talking about how fast they are growing ( It's like small angry man syndrome but for a county)

Exactly they weren't here to discuss the merit of WIT. It was just resentment. They don't seem to be able to get it. Waterford has been doing the heavy lifting on the issue for 35 years (at least). And they are wondering why they can just piggy back off someone elses efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Loreto_girl

Exactly they weren't here to discuss the merit of WIT. It was just resentment. They don't seem to be able to get it. Waterford has been doing the heavy lifting on the issue for 35 years (at least). And they are wondering why they can just piggy back off someone elses efforts.

Better than being broke and unmanageable?

Better than being broke and unmanageable?

If you say so Pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Of course it is. You just don't like what the league tables indicate.

Obviously the league tables paint WIT (and ITC too) in a good light but they have absolutely no significance with a TU designation.

When did the DoE indicate that these tables were to be taken into consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Figerty

Be careful on those numbers, At one point there were wild numbers being thrown about regarding numbers. CIT were good at inflating numbers at one point in time.

WIT's numbers are good, but they aren't in the same space as other IOT's sharing a catchment area.
    CIT is very impressive in terms of number but Cork has a population of 400,000 and UCC in the neighborhood
    DIT equally so sharing with Dublin, but catering for range of levels.

Look at the Hunt report from a few years ago or it might have been the follow up report for a real indicator of the true numbers of students. It's an honest appraisal of true whole time equivalent numbers not just Student registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

I presume this is about Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT)?

Anyhow, I am doing my Leaving Cert this June and hopefully will be going to WIT then in September. Should there be anything that I am advised to do or look out for?

Also, where would be the best place for accommidation for someone in their 1st year here?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

You are just diminishing your already low credibility here with posts such as these.

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    You are just diminishing your already low credibility here with posts such as these.

Low credibility with who? You? An idiot would only think that the Carlow IT is larger than GMIT. Look between here and the Carlow thread you can see the schizoid nature of your posts which are "thanked" by the same two or three sycophants .You want Carlow IT to be part of a merger but resent it being with WIT despite it being obviously the better performing IT. Carlows only interest in becoming a University comes from "preventing" WIT from becoming one unless they can also. It can be clearly seen from their immediate actions following the Port Report. It can also be seen from the incestuous little lovefest you and your buddies indulged in on the Carlow merger thread. But it doesn't belie the fact that the best chance of delivery for a University to the Region is through WIT. Carlow's resistance to it is nothing more than the typical peasent transactional politics that plague this country.

Obviously the league tables paint WIT (and ITC too) in a good light but they have absolutely no significance with a TU designation.

When did the DoE indicate that these tables were to be taken into consideration?

They don't. That's the beauty of them. They are independent of the DoE and hence the government. Therefore more objective.

They don't. That's the beauty of them. They are independent of the DoE and hence the government. Therefore more objective.

That's absolutely fantastic. However the DoE and government have made no indication that they are worth more than the paper they are written on when it comes to TU designation. That leap is being made by your good self.

You are hardly backing up the statement...
    It is closer to a TU now than a merged TU.
    ....with conclusive facts here fuzzy.

That's absolutely fantastic. However the DoE and government have made no indication that they are worth more than the paper they are written on when it comes to TU designation. That leap is being made by your good self.

I am not making any leaps. The DoE does what they are told to do by the government driven by two parochial apes who couldn't deliver a pizza. That's the only reason this merged clusterf#ck is being created.
    You are hardly backing up the statement...
    ....with conclusive facts here fuzzy.

WIT and CIT collectively would have a lower percentage of staff with PHD's which is a metric you were happy to see others use earlier on.WIT on its own would have a higher percentage. WIT operates closer to the Universities according to the ST tables which you want to disregard because they don't say the same for Carlow IT. The merger would mean a larger institute that is all. Only a fool or a graduate from *ahem* would not be able to connect the dots.

WIT and CIT collectively would have a lower percentage of staff with PHD's which is a metric you were happy to see others use earlier on.WIT on its own would have a higher percentage. WIT operates closer to the Universities according to the ST tables which you want to disregard because they don't say the same for Carlow IT. The merger would mean a larger institute that is all. Only a fool or a graduate from *ahem* would not be able to connect the dots.

:confused: I haven't discussed the PHD ratio at any stage. So go back there trying to connect dots.

And by the way, if you are so familiar with the working of IoTs around the country you really should know that CIT = Cork Institute of Technology and
    ITC = I.T. Carlow :rolleyes:

:confused: I haven't discussed the PHD ratio at any stage. So go back there trying to connect dots.

Wow you really have a crap reading skills. I never said you did mention them.
    You're running out of feet to put in your mouth:D
    And by the way, if you are so familiar with the working of IoTs around the country you really should know that CIT = Cork Institute of Technology and
    ITC = I.T. Carlow :rolleyes:

Yep nit picking over acronyms. Says a lot about the quality of your argument.

Wow you really have a crap reading skills. I never said you did mention them.
    You're running out of feet to put in your mouth:D

You said I was "happy to see others use earlier"? When and where?
    Yep nit picking over acronyms. Says a lot about the quality of your argument.

It shows how little you know about the 3rd level landscape in Ireland. Not as if that wasn't evident in every single post you've posted.

You said I was "happy to see others use earlier"? When and where?

Post 809 where you removed your "thanks":D I didn't actually believe you would do it. My God how pathetic are you?

It shows how little you know about the 3rd level landscape in Ireland. Not as if that wasn't evident in every single post you've posted.

And here you are arguing with someone who "hasn't a clue" !Yep keep clutching at those staws Petey! Confusing the acronyms ICT and CIT is obviously a hammer blow to my arguement:D I am just waiting here now to see if you are going to make a liar of yourself by denying you didn't remove your thanks from post 809.

Post 809 where you removed your "thanks":D I didn't actually believe you would do it. My God how pathetic are you?

Yep keep clutching at those staws Petey! Confusing the acronyms ICT and CIT is obviously a hammer blow to my arguement:D I am just waiting here now to see if you are going to make a liar of yourself by denying you didn't remove your thanks from post 809.

Ah for crying out loud. Instead of being on boards you should be getting your books out for the Junior Cert.

You're wasting my time here. Unfollowed. Ignored.

And it's "argument".......not the first time you've made that spelling mistake here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And it's "argument".......not the first time you've made that spelling mistake here :rolleyes:

DEluGLx.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Two days of posts being reported in this thread for petty silly remarks being thrown at people on both sides of the debate. Seriously people, have some cop on. If you're not prepared to debate civilly and with maturity, than don't bother at all. No more warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Loreto_girl

If you say so Pete.

No thanks on the gender change.

Just fed up of your biased perspective- not representative of the rest of us in WIT.

No thanks on the gender change.

Just fed up of your biased perspective- not representative of the rest of us in WIT.

Well your not representative of anyone in WIT only yourself.That is even if you are in WIT. You seemed to have created an account and sneerily posted just as Petey disappeared. And here you are again just as he disappeared. If the standard of this thread sank in the last couple of days it wasn't me who brought it there. You don't have to read so far back to see PF78's smug and conceited posting style which didn't seem to upset you then. Your problem seems to be not what is said but who says it. You seem to have some interest in prolonging this arguement. So why don't you let it go?....and let the mods have the last word.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

As a solution I think Carlow could easily merge with DIT in Dublin, it already runs courses in An Cosan in Tallaght and it's not really part of the South-East region being so close to Dublin. A DIT University campus in Carlow would be popular with students too, and would allow WIT a free run at getting their own TU without having to merge.

mountcisco wrote: »
    As a solution I think Carlow could easily merge with DIT in Dublin, it already runs courses in An Cosan in Tallaght and it's not really part of the South-East region being so close to Dublin. A DIT University campus in Carlow would be popular with students too, and would allow WIT a free run at getting their own TU without having to merge.

A very interesting proposition! It would be interesting to see the reaction from both institutes if it was seriously pitched which I seriously doubt. However I would disagree with the statement that Carlow is not in the South East. Most of the county very firmly is and is part of Kilkennys hinterland. The town itself is on the edge of the region which some people like to think makes it part of Greater Dublin which its not. The population growth there and in much of the southern midlands is a consequence of bad planning and the housing bubble. It was not good for anyone despite people being happy that it boosts the population figures or their county.

Its equidistant between Waterford and Dublin and anyone who has traveled by car between the two cities will know that the journey time from Dublin to Kilcullen alone at knocking off time exceeds the journey time from Carlow to Waterford. There simply is no comparison due to the congestion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

As a solution I think Carlow could easily merge with DIT in Dublin
    DIT is merging into one big campus, all their different buildings in Dublin are closing and these departments are getting moved to one location.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    DIT is merging into one big campus, all their different buildings in Dublin are closing and these departments are getting moved to one location.

DIT will move to one campus but the other colleges ITB and ITT are not closing but will remain as they are, all together becoming the new TU. I was suggesting that IT Carlow join that group.

DIT will move to one campus but the other colleges ITB and ITT will remain as they are, all together becoming the new TU.

I think the point is though that the the multiple campus approach is one of WIT's "weaknesses". So how would a TU spread across eight campuses improve the delivery of education? The movement of DIT into one campus indicates that is preferable. IBT and ITT were recently built so it would be impossible politically to consolidate them.

• Advertisement

A very interesting proposition! It would be interesting to see the reaction from both institutes if it was seriously pitched which I seriously doubt. However I would disagree with the statement that Carlow is not in the South East. Most of the county very firmly is and is part of Kilkennys hinterland. The town itself is on the edge of the region which some people like to think makes it part of Greater Dublin which its not. The population growth there and in much of the southern midlands is a consequence of bad planning and the housing bubble. It was not good for anyone despite people being happy that it boosts the population figures or their county.

Its equidistant between Waterford and Dublin and anyone who has traveled by car between the two cities will know that the journey time from Dublin to Kilcullen alone at knocking off time exceeds the journey time from Carlow to Waterford. There simply is no comparison due to the congestion.

Carlow is technically part of the south east but in some ways it isn't. Look at the bid for the South East to become Capital of Culture 2020 it's Waterford Wexford and Kilkenny. No mention of Carlow; either they weren't asked or weren't interested, it doesn't matter which, but it shows they're semi-detached.

Advertisement