Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

rayr wrote: »
    As mentioned previously. Lecturing positions in WIT including two in School of Business
    http://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Academic-Posts-June-2015-7586309.aspx

Up to 91k a year? lol That money might be better invested into their IT Infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭plasticman3327

Up to 91k a year? lol That money might be better invested into their IT Infrastructure.

To be fair thats only for one of the positions, Head of Quality Promotion and Academic Policy Development

The lecturer salary starts at €35,744

Full details of the positions are on the WIT site with the actual salary scales - http://www.wit.ie/about_wit/for_staff/staff_vacancies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

fiachr_a wrote: »
    I'd love to, but this "Waterford neeeeeeeeeeeeds a university" is getting me down. Unless there's some kind of Apple moving over offering a few thousand jobs a university here is a costly waste. Most of the brighter students will go to TCD/UCD anyway because these will always be the better colleges. Local kids who do average in the leaving won't be able to get into this new university because the points will be too high. Then, most of its graduates will move away as there are no decent jobs in Waterford. So what exactly is the point of yet another 3rd rate university in the country? This town once had something resembling a university with plenty of land to develop on. It was John's College. Then it closed but no-one protested. Now it's being turning into a homeless shelter. Only in Waterford!

I got the feeling from your posts that you feel people in Waterford don't have the ability/brains to rub shoulders with the best of them. Well here you:

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/waterfordian-recieves-top-science-award-in-us/

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/waterford-native-is-first-woman-to-take-top-job-at-oxford-333692.html

With your arguments on a 3rd rate university. I would agree with you only for funding. If an I.T. give get the same funding as a university then I would be happy for it to remain a top rate Institute of Technology. The fact is it can't (or they won't give it) so in order to get that extra funding then we need to upgrade.

Would you rather be a Top Class I.T. starved of funding or a 3rd rate University that is provided with enough funding to actually help the South East thrive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

I'd rather a top class IT for various reasons. The main one being most university courses in this country are a waste of time and money. They might be interesting but have zero job prospects. The Irish education system is too feminised and dumbed down now. Even Trinity has very few courses that are considered world-class. Our top students (the ones with 550+ points) will usually do medical courses and find work easily. Apart from them jobs are scarce for other graduates. There's no point having another university offering psychology and arts degrees. What Waterford IT needs is a degree in setting up your own multinational business. Anyway, the weather in Waterford is too warm for these new technology companies. Why is Facebook setting up their new data centre in Meath instead of Waterford? What university does Meath have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I'd rather a top class IT for various reasons. The main one being most university courses in this country are a waste of time and money. They might be interesting but have zero job prospects. The Irish education system is too feminised and dumbed down now. Even Trinity has very few courses that are considered world-class. Our top students (the ones with 550+ points) will usually do medical courses and find work easily. Apart from them jobs are scarce for other graduates. There's no point having another university offering psychology and arts degrees. What Waterford IT needs is a degree in setting up your own multinational business. Anyway, the weather in Waterford is too warm for these new technology companies. Why is Facebook setting up their new data centre in Meath instead of Waterford? What university does Meath have?

I love lamp......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

what has a University got to do with setting up a datacentre... be last thing on their mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

some scary people on this planet with very very odd opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

I'M sorry but you discredited your whole post when you talked about the weather in meath being different than Waterford, it's only 100 miles up the road.I don't think many people would call waterford weather too warm or very different from the rest of the country either.

imacman wrote: »
    I'M sorry but you discredited your whole post when you talked about the weather in meath being different than Waterford, it's only 100 miles up the road.I don't think many people would call waterford weather too warm or very different from the rest of the country either.

see post 998. some very strange people on this planet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Believe it or not data centers require massive cooling. Ireland has its own microclimate so temptress would fluctuate slightly between Waterford and Meath. Not massive differences Temperature wise but would be a deciding factor.

• Advertisement

Believe it or not data centers require massive cooling. Ireland has its own microclimate so temptress would fluctuate slightly between Waterford and Meath. Not massive differences Temperature wise but would be a deciding factor.

thats very true actually but im sure there were economic, political and god knows what reasons for the decision as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    thats very true actually but im sure there were economic, political and god knows what reasons for the decision as well

I'd say someone in Meath had a degree in setting up a multinational company!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

O Riain wrote: »
    I'd say someone in Meath had a degree in setting up a multinational company!

As distinct to a degree in setting up a PLC, they only do them on Galway......

The best place to build a data centre in Ireland is somewhere near the flat midlands close to Dublin (which has the least rainfall in the country). It's colder there both in summer and winter than the coastal areas as it's away from the North Atlantic currents that warms coasts in winter. It also gets less relief rainfall and sunshine (which is highest in the South East).

http://imgur.com/KuNFaUh
    I see getting university status is inevitable for CarlowIT. So the international selection process and the opposition coming out of Waterford is no problem for them. I have to say I find the arrogance of their management staggering

http://imgur.com/KuNFaUh
    I see getting university status is inevitable for CarlowIT. So the international selection process and the opposition coming out of Waterford is no problem for them. I have to say I find the arrogance of their management staggering

ah im not convinced. after being a student in both institutions, i do feel waterford has the edge, but of course im going to say that, being from waterford. nothing wrong with carlow at all, looks fantastic these days. great to see both places moving forward and developing as they go.

ah im not convinced. after being a student in both institutions, i do feel waterford has the edge, but of course im going to say that, being from waterford. nothing wrong with carlow at all, looks fantastic these days. great to see both places moving forward and developing as they go.

Kinda missed the point there , Carlow will only get university status through a merger, a merger that Waterford doesn't want.

Kinda missed the point there , Carlow will only get university status through a merger, a merger that Waterford doesn't want.

apologies, didnt read it properly. ah i think waterford is better off on its own. i think it will take many years though to obtain university status if at all. impressed with how it has developed over the years. we re not doing too bad at all. always room for improvement of course

Wasn't Carlow the first IT to offer a degree in computer games development? Wonder how many gaming start ups have been created in Carlow since?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭garyscargo

Frankly, we're much too precious with the title "university" in Ireland. The US and UK dominate the world rankings, and they both have a large number of universities at all levels and sizes. Criteria are set and are objective and reasonable; in general, you meet the criteria, you can have the title university. Take the UK for example. It has a pile of former polytechnics that are now universities, and has also allowed a good number of newer universities to form (by any college or institution that meets the criteria) in recent years. Does having so many universities really damage or detract from Oxbridge and the like? No. People can tell the bloody difference between the better and lesser UK universities (and a good number of the lesser unis have particular strengths anyway). Incidentally, a number of our larger ITs would comfortably meet the UK criteria for the university title.

The problem we have in Ireland is our infestation of political gombeens who use this issue for **** the parish pump, and other vested interests who are scared of sharing some of their pork if the status quo changes at all. The whole debacle must look bizarre to outsiders from countries where "university" is just a name some colleges opt to use.

• Advertisement

Wasn't Carlow the first IT to offer a degree in computer games development? Wonder how many gaming start ups have been created in Carlow since?

is that right? wouldnt have a clue of your answer. no interest in that industry at all. sure best of luck to them. its been a long time since i was in college in carlow though but the place is looking well

http://imgur.com/6NWaHwC
    Carlowit having a dig at waterford about exam results.They are so petty and vindictive , makes me wonder who had the motive to set a DDOs attack on WIT just as they were releasing the exam results

Carlowit having a dig at waterford about exam results.They are so petty and vindictive , makes me wonder who had the motive to set a DDOs attack on WIT just as they were releasing the exam results

theyre actually showing signs of very bad management with this kind of behaviour. extremely unprofessional. id be worried if i was working there. god only knows where that attack come from. could have been a disgruntled ex student or ex staff member or somebody just having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Cant believe know one commented on it on their facebook page

garyscargo wrote: »
    The whole debacle must look bizarre to outsiders from countries where "university" is just a name some colleges opt to use.
    You can't use the word 'university' for an Irish business. Need permission from Dept of Education. Can't even register a name for a corner shop 'University of life' or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RYGCat

Plenty of fish in the sea......

theyre actually showing signs of very bad management with this kind of behaviour. extremely unprofessional. id be worried if i was working there. god only knows where that attack come from. could have been a disgruntled ex student or ex staff member or somebody just having a laugh.

Seriously, must be a BIGGGGGG conspiracy! :)

Cant believe know one commented on it on their facebook page

Must head over there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

With an election coming up in late 15/early 16 This surely is the time that we all got together to push & push hard for a University of Waterford, a proper one & not one held back by a pointless merger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Steve456

You can't use the word 'university' for an Irish business. Need permission from Dept of Education. Can't even register a name for a corner shop 'University of life' or something like that.

Not entirely true, and there are a number of registered business names which include "university". The Dept of Education can only step in if the word is used "to describe an educational establishment or facility" (Universities Act 1997, s 52).

Advertisement