Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Dont be funny now.

Ive worked there for a long time myself so i can speak first hand of the sweets they hand out to keep the employees happy. My opinions come from experience.

Would you rather they didn't hand out the sweets so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Personally I wish they wouldn't bully their workers out and I'm speaking from experience here. Horrible atmosphere, minimum training, timed toilet breaks and constantly threatened with targets. This is what you don't see when Richard Bruton comes down all smiles and photo ops.
    For anyone who says Eisthic is a decent place to work....well you know the old saying, if you aren't part of the solution you are part of the PROBLEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Would you rather they didn't hand out the sweets so?

No i would rather they had a healthy option and didnt enable the obesity issue which is extremely obvious in long term call center workers.
    Theres more weight gained in that place than the average farm.

Better companies would give out free fruit to their employees.

Freaks eat fruit but normal people drink, smoke and munch on sweets.

Thats the Irish way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No i would rather they had a healthy option and didnt enable the obesity issue which is extremely obvious in long term call center workers.
    Theres more weight gained in that place than the average farm.

Better companies would give out free fruit to their employees.

Freaks eat fruit but normal people drink, smoke and munch on sweets.

Thats the Irish way.

you should see what sitting for long periods of time in front of a computer and answering phones does to your physical and mental health!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I came here expecting a seperate thread on this. This is huge news.

Whats crazy about this is that it will provide FAR better jobs and experience than Eishtec ever could for 100s of Waterford Youth yet it barely gets a mention.

I continue to believe that people here just like to hear bad news and are part of some kind of self fulfilling prophecy.

Thats about 150 immediate families far better off for the rest of their lives. This company puts people back through college to improve their skillset yet Eishtec puts people on their fat asses and feeds them sweets.

The next big employers are born in places like this e.g Nearform who are taking on another 150 or so in Tramore.

This is a bit harsh in fairness. Most people would not be familiar with Arclabs and the Carriganore campus. I used to work there. When people asked where I worked most people outside the IT industry did not even know the place existed.

It is great news though.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    you should see what sitting for long periods of time in front of a computer and answering phones does to your physical and mental health!

Much less damage than lobbing blocks around a building site actually. Dont see many 40 year olds with broken backs and drinking problems that work in good IT jobs. Job security and far better pay tends to have that effect on the mind and body.

BBM77 wrote: »
    This is a bit harsh in fairness. Most people would not be familiar with Arclabs and the Carriganore campus. I used to work there. When people asked where I worked most people outside the IT industry did not even know the place existed.

It is great news though.

I was actually just talking about this forum. Bad news tends to be far more popular than good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I was actually just talking about this forum. Bad news tends to be far more popular than good news.

That's an Irish thing. Enda Kenny was right, crowd of whingers.not everyone obviously put you see people on here who can't wait to spread bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Seen on WLR that national nutrition centre being established in WIT, don't know details, seems positive though for WIT and indeed our nation's ever expanding bellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Max Powers wrote: »
    Seen on WLR that national nutrition centre being established in WIT, don't know details, seems positive though for WIT and indeed our nation's ever expanding bellies.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/wit-centre-to-research-importance-of-nutrition-392307.html

http://www.nrci.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭invara

Another €5.4 million for Limerick.

Jan O'Sullivan, acting minister for education for Limerick's final bit of pork for her village. I am sure the tender was above board; but given the huge pattern of money flowing to Limerick this stinks. The South East with the lowest levels of higher education participation, highest level of unemployment must continue to suffer. Crazy thing is that John Halligan was called out in national media for being parochial!

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/205920/Award-of--5-4m-to.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

There is nothing to stop you starting a thread on it yourself.

Breaking news , John Hailligan has the WIT applying for TU status alone as part of his support deal for the government .This follows on the same deal for Athlone IT
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/plans-for-upgrade-of-athlone-it-to-university-is-in-deal-34696962.html
    No forced merger with Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Parish pump Ireland at it best. Wonder if the decriers of Howlins parish pump politics in Wexford over the past few years will similarly denounce Halligans antics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Parish pump Ireland at it best. Wonder if the decriers of Howlins parish pump politics in Wexford over the past few years will similarly denounce Halligans antics?

If W.I.T. was just getting upgraded out of the blue with no merit for an upgrade then I would agree with you.

The fact is that W.I.T. is one of the best Institutes of Technology in the country and has a strong argument to be upgraded as a stand alone university. The merger with Carlow was an absolute joke and anyone with half a brain (and not involved with Carlow) can realise this straight away.

Absolute parish pump, but it could be said that the whole TU process grew out of the parish pump politics of Hogan and Howlin.Forced mergers never made sense in the first place and if the whole process is opening up (and it looks like it will have to if AIT and WIT are allowed to go it alone ) Carlowit will be free to apply on their own and try to reach the criteria

O Riain wrote: »
    If W.I.T. was just getting upgraded out of the blue with no merit for an upgrade then I would agree with you.

The fact is that W.I.T. is one of the best Institutes of Technology in the country and has a strong argument to be upgraded as a stand alone university. The merger with Carlow was an absolute joke and anyone with half a brain (and not involved with Carlow) can realise this straight away.

WIT will still have reach the criteria , there should be no rubber stamp technological universities

imacman wrote: »

WIT will still have reach the criteria , there should be no rubber stamp technological universities
    I 100% agree, and this decision does mean not that the W.I.T. is now upgraded, it will still have to go through the standard process and then be reviewed to see if it is worthy of an upgrade.

This amendment is common sense, not parish pump.

Breaking news , John Hailligan has the WIT applying for TU status alone as part of his support deal for the government .This follows on the same deal for Athlone IT
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/plans-for-upgrade-of-athlone-it-to-university-is-in-deal-34696962.html
    No forced merger with Carlow

It doesn't mention anything about a WIT upgrade. Just an Athlone one.

Considering that Athlone IT never even considered (or was considered for) a merger and subsequent TU upgrade. People think that they will be parachuted straight into the TU landscape? Please.

It just shows how much water these parish pump promises hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

The funny thing about the proposed merger was that it left WIT further away from meeting the University criteria than if it went for it as a standalone institution. The only thing here being relaxed is one element of the criteria that made little to no sense in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

After what Howlin did to Waterford???????

7upfree wrote: »

Dunno what you are asking but there were numerous posts about the issue of parish pump politics throughout this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2055386394&query=parish

I wonder will they decry Halligans tactics?

7upfree wrote: »

Dunno what you are asking but there were numerous posts about the issue of parish pump politics throughout this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2055386394&query=parish

I wonder will they decry Halligans tactics?

What has Waterford immediately gained and another county lost? Carlow haven't lost anything because the TU merger would have never gone ahead in that form anyway!

What has Waterford immediately gained and another county lost? Carlow haven't lost anything because the TU merger would have never gone ahead in that form anyway!
    Exactly Carlow loses nothing as they never has a university agenda till Big Phil and Howlin threw it into their lap with the forced merger.
    The realpolitik of this situation is the TU merger clause is controversial , the TUI is against it and Fianna Fail have come out against the forced mergers.
    https://www.fiannafail.ie/fianna-fail-will-scrap-labours-forced-mergers-of-institutes-of-technology/
    In a minority government Fine Gael dont want to bring forward contentious legislation. So dropping the merger clause is a easy win , its main cheerleaders Hogan and Howlin are gone ,it helps get Halligan and Boxer Moran on board and ensures that the legislation wont run into problems with the TUI and allows Fianna Fail to support the bill. Thats politics

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Will lecturers in the new TUs have to work through the summer, as lecturers in universities do. Or is the plan that they will still head off once exams are done?

okedoke wrote: »
    Will lecturers in the new TUs have to work through the summer, as lecturers in universities do. Or is the plan that they will still head off once exams are done?

Good luck with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I'm not asking - I'm stating.

* VEC - gone to Wexford
    * Hospital effective run from Cork.
    * Hogan attacked the city status and Council.
    * Carlow undermined WIT.

And they talk about "the region"??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Never thought I'd see the day Waterford jealous of Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Yeah pity they didn't do the same like UL to WIT; make it a University and force pump money in to it until it met standards.

What's funny is if the emrger happens in Dublin between the three up there they could possibly overtake UCD and DCU quite quickly in ranking terms.

Advertisement