Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Deiseen wrote: »
    It's a free country BUT if I felt compelled to go onto the Kilkenny board and carry on the way you do then I would feel pretty sorry for myself.
    What the Kilkenny lads say on their board could not make a single difference to me, let them to it. The fact that you are down here, day after day after day, trying to push your agenda just reflects poorly on you.

Day after day, jaysus...:D
    I don't care what you think of me, my posts or opinions. So how that "reflects on me" (to you) is not relevant or affect me in the slightest.

If Kilkenny/Carlow wasn't continually mentioned by posters like yourself then I'd have no reason to come "down here" as you say. So long as posters like you continually reference us (negatively, invariably) (see your post on Carlow/KK TD's for example) I will continue to post here as much as I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

road_high wrote: »
    I don't care what you think of me, my posts or opinions. So how that "reflects on me" (to you) is not relevant or affect me in the slightest.

If Kilkenny/Carlow wasn't continually mentioned by posters like yourself then I'd have no reason to come "down here" as you say. So long as posters like you continually reference us (negatively, invariably) (see your post on Carlow/KK TD's for example) I will continue to post here as much as I want.

I doubt it is possible to have a reasonable discussion about a University for the region without mentioning the likes of Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford and South Tipperary, as well as Waterford.
    After all they are all part of the region and the ones to benefit from such a university.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Deiseen

road_high wrote: »

I doubt it is possible to have a reasonable discussion about a University for the region without mentioning the likes of Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford and South Tipperary, as well as Waterford.
    After all they are all part of the region and the ones to benefit from such a university.

Here we go again with Waterford obsession of other counties in the South East. How dare you have a discussion about a University of the South east and mention other counties!!!

Let's just imagine Waterford doesn't exist for a moment or that WIT was never built. Would anybody in the other counties even be discussing a University? Because I really don't think they would be. There is zero talk of it from the Neighbouring counties.

This is the WUMs queue to relate this back to Waterford now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Let's just imagine Waterford doesn't exist for a moment or that WIT was never built. Would anybody in the other counties even be discussing a University? Because I really don't think they would be. There is zero talk of it from the Neighbouring counties.

This is the WUMs queue to relate this back to Waterford now....

No they wouldn't. Because the simple fact is they wouldn't have a snowballs. Waterford does the heavy lifting for the last 40 years. One of their gombeens then comes along and try to hive away some part of it and we are expected to be happy with it. That is the way it works. Don't complain about the IDA neglecting the South East.Instead complain about Waterford getting too much focus by the IDA and ignore the fact Waterford has the worst blackspots (Phil Hogan).   

Criticize the viability of the airport and resent it instead of wondering why your own local authority were too hungry to pony up the money to get it started. The aero club up there think that that was a missed opportunity for KK. It may or may not have been but the point is the usual suspects here like to knock things down that they could not so for themselves in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Rumblings from WIT that their financial situation has become really critical and the dept of education/HEA are going to step in a kind of troika type role to set an austerity agenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

imacman wrote:
    Rumblings from WIT that their financial situation has become really critical and the dept of education/HEA are going to step in a kind of troika type role to set an austerity agenda

Excellent, that's worked well for the general population!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Dublin Cork Limerick Galway Have university Waterford 100 per has to get a university and I hope Waterford dos and I am a limerick person saying this its has to happen best of luck Waterford city university Waterford city then will have better economy its not fair to the people of Waterford why has this not happened whats going on ? people of Waterford City need to march on the street that what happened in Llimerick city in the 1960s we where left out like Waterford city

azimuth17 wrote: »
    In many visits to Limerick over past few years it is obvious that investment in the university and in the hospital have never stopped. There is evidence of a lot of other investment in retail and business. Perhaps when I compare Limerick with Waterford I feel the former is booming. If there is anyone from Limerick on this forum who has a different view I would be interested. Being in Limerick city last week there was really palpable economic vibe. As for a university for Waterford, to suggest that Ireland has enough universities is misleading. Finland has 17 I think for the same population and has some of the best educational outcomes in the OECD. Limerick has had its uni for 30 years and I would suggest that the trajectory of that city (well know difficulties notwithstanding)versus Waterford has been upward. We have struggled along the bottom.Maybe I'm wrong?
    Yes I am from Limerick and would say UL university has done a lot for Limerick its a very young university just under 30 years old but in the last few years it I am not joking its like a city itself to be honest its passing cork galway out that is a fact its growing by the day massive university and the grounds are beautiful . but as I said in my last post Waterford City 100 per cent deserves a university in Waterford city why dont the good people of Waterford march the street to get university best of luck Waterford it will happen.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    In many visits to Limerick over past few years it is obvious that investment in the university and in the hospital have never stopped. There is evidence of a lot of other investment in retail and business. Perhaps when I compare Limerick with Waterford I feel the former is booming. If there is anyone from Limerick on this forum who has a different view I would be interested. Being in Limerick city last week there was really palpable economic vibe. As for a university for Waterford, to suggest that Ireland has enough universities is misleading. Finland has 17 I think for the same population and has some of the best educational outcomes in the OECD.  Limerick has had its uni for 30 years and I would suggest that the trajectory of that city (well know difficulties notwithstanding)versus Waterford has been upward. We have struggled along the bottom.Maybe I'm wrong?
    Yes I am from Limerick and would  say UL university  has done a lot for Limerick its a very young university just under 30 years old but in the last few years it  I am not joking its like a city itself to be honest its passing cork galway out that is a fact its growing by the day massive university and the grounds are beautiful . but as I said in my last post Waterford City 100 per cent  deserves a university in Waterford city  why dont the good people of Waterford march the street to get university best of luck Waterford it will happen.
    Not just for Waterford, but for the entire population of the South East (500,000).

Not just for Waterford, but for the entire population of the South East (500,000).
    Very True:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

imacman wrote: »

Wouldn't be surprised if this true, what other outcome would you expect when their budget cut by 20-30% when your fixed costs are about 90% of your budget totals, you don't have to be an accountant.
    Not all 3rd level institute's and universities got this treatment, the likes of DCU have spare cash to advertise at rugby internationals in Cardiff tonight.saw ucc advertising at another international, massive investment in other ITs and unis too, best of luck to them but just looking for a fair crack of the whip.

Waterford needs a Jim Kemmy he got limerick city a university . plus Waterford needs/wants more motorways motorways connecting the cities of cork city and limerick city linking in with Waterford city so when get the university of Waterford city and more motorways you will then see Waterford grow like never before this will happen and I outsider a limerick man looking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Waterford needs a Jim Kemmy he got limerick city a university . plus Waterford needs/wants more motorways motorways connecting the cities of cork city and limerick city linking in with Waterford city so when get the university of Waterford city and more motorways you will then see Waterford grow like never before this will happen and I outsider a limerick man looking in.
    The road from Waterford to Cork is actually a fine road until you cross over into cork, its not a motorway but its quite wide and well kept with plenty of climbing lanes, i think if cork just matched the standard and bypassed castlemaryter and killeah"check spelling" it would be quiet sufficient,
    Same with the road to limerick but that is mostly down to Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

gw80 wrote: »
    The road from Waterford to Cork is actually a fine road until you cross over into cork, its not a motorway but its quite wide and well kept with plenty of climbing lanes, i think if cork just matched the standard and bypassed castlemaryter and killeah"check spelling" it would be quiet sufficient,
    Same with the road to limerick but that is mostly down to Tipperary

There needs to be a motorway from Wexford to Limerick.
    It is huge need but does not seem to be planned.
    There had been plans to bypass most of the towns & villages on that route, which would have been a good 'stop-gap' years ago, but even that never happened.
    IMO this is even more important than a motorway between Cork & Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

There needs to be a motorway from Wexford to Limerick.
    It is huge need but does not seem to be planned.
    There had been plans to bypass most of the towns & villages on that route, which would have been a good 'stop-gap' years ago, but even that never happened.
    IMO this is even more important than a motorway between Cork & Waterford.

All the cities need to be conected up properly, of coarse there has to be some priority, but the plan to do it should be there,
    There is a new bridge and road being built in wexford at the moment witch is badly needed, but it makes sense to connect that to the motorway and bypass in Waterford and the on to limerick, the road from rosslare to waterford, while in its self is a good road has no overtaking roads or climbing lanes, I recently got caught behind 12 lorrys in a convoy obviously just off the ferry coming back from wexford,

Yes I am from Limerick and would say UL university has done a lot for Limerick its a very young university just under 30 years old but in the last few years it I am not joking its like a city itself to be honest its passing cork galway out that is a fact its growing by the day massive university and the grounds are beautiful . but as I said in my last post Waterford City 100 per cent deserves a university in Waterford city why dont the good people of Waterford march the street to get university best of luck Waterford it will happen.
    The arguments whether Waterford deserves a university based on demographic or educational reasons are irrelevant.Its purely a political game and the University of Limerick came about in the same way.

Without the political clout of the local TDs and the constant campaigning of Ed washe it wouldn't have happened. Sad fact is Waterford never really has had a politician of enough stature to get a university(they were close with Martin Cullen in the early 2000s but he had to step down for health reasons and that was the end of that).

In fact the Technological universities merger prerequisite only came about because Phil Hogan and Brendan Howlin had the leavers of power and they wanted CarlowIT upgraded as it was in Hogans constituency and had a outreach campus in Wexford which was Howlins constituency.

Thing is if Phil Hogan ( who was Kennys golden boy after being his main supporter in the heave against him)had been a Waterford politician WIT would be well down the road now to be a university on its own."Deserve" has nothing to do with it

The arguments whether Waterford deserves a university based on demographic or educational reasons are irrelevant.Its purely a political game and the University of Limerick came about in the same way.

Without the political clout of the local TDs and the constant campaigning of Ed washe it wouldn't have happened. Sad fact is Waterford never really has had a politician of enough stature to get a university(they were close with Martin Cullen in the early 2000s but he had to step down for health reasons and that was the end of that).

In fact the Technological universities merger prerequisite only came about because Phil Hogan and Brendan Howlin had the leavers of power and they wanted CarlowIT upgraded as it was in Hogans constituency and had a outreach campus in Wexford which was Howlins constituency.

Thing is if Phil Hogan ( who was Kennys golden boy after being his main supporter in the heave against him)had been a Waterford politician WIT would be well down the road now to be a university on its own."Deserve" has nothing to do with it
    The good people of Waterford City Will have to march the streets of Waterford city in there 10000s thousands of and make this happen make sum noise get heard like the did in Limerick City in 1960s the people marched in there 10000s thousands .this will work put the Politicians under Pressure in Waterford City get them working our get rid of them and get people who can make this university of Waterford happen this how Limerick City has UL .

The good people of Waterford City Will have to march the streets of Waterford city in there 10000s thousands of and make this happen make sum noise get heard like the did in Limerick City in 1960s the people marched in there 10000s thousands .this will work put the Politicians under Pressure in Waterford City get them working our get rid of them and get people who can make this university of Waterford happen this how Limerick City has UL .
    I think a university is well down the list of priorities for the majority of people in Waterford.It would be "nice to have" to have for the city but if people are not marching about homelessness,people on trolleys in our hospitals or evictions they wont going to march about a university.

With the way things are going Waterford IT will become an TU outreach campus of the golden boys in ITcarlow. WIT needs to get it s mojo back and not get bullied by politicians or Carlow just because they have more money than WIT at the moment.

David Cullinane TD seem to have a vendetta against WIT and Willie Donnelly. I heard him on WLR this morning and he seems hell bend on on damaging WIT to raise his own political profile and to grandstand on the Public accounts committee. Willie Donnelly was on after and he sounded very reasonable to me and seemed to have good answers for the questions he was asked.He sounded like someone who has the good of WIT as his main focus unlike Mr Cullinane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭invara

So the Technological University bill is back moving in the Dail- in committee stage. No mention of Waterford in the discussions, all talk of Dublin and Cork. How do people see this playing out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure is anyone shocked? Our deputies are a disgrace - which one of them is making sure we stay in the picture?

Sure is anyone shocked? Our deputies are a disgrace - which one of them is making sure we stay in the picture?
    Technological University status is inevitable for WIT and CarlowIT , metrics and selection process don't matter anymore and the government will rubber stamp this in the near future.
    The more important question is what is a Technological University ,to me it looks like another rebrand move in the same way as it went from WRTC to WIT.It has been said by the dept of education there will be no major increase in funding and there will be no efficiency gained to reduce costs because the unions wont let any staff changes take place.
    So what are we left with,a rebrand and a really awkward relationship with Carlow as its a very toxic relationship, with staff from both institutes very suspicious of each other.There is a very good chance that this merger will be a fudge with both institutes carrying on as normal except for interactions at executive level and just sharing a common name. That may be enough for the vested interests in the "region" who only care about having something with university in the name, but actually may be damaging for both institutes in the long run.

..... That may be enough for the vested interests in the "region" who only care about having something with university in the name, but actually may be damaging for both institutes in the long run.

I totally agree (are we allowed to do that on boards.ie?). Look at the success of University Hospital Waterford. Perhaps the Government will fall, the TU bill with it. The WIT-Carlow merge is going to be a car crash.

Some really good points made by Dr Ray Griffin about the TU recently
    http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/mixed-views-expressed-on-waterfordcarlow-tu-bid/

"Both Waterford and Carlow ITs are being asked, in my view, to throw their respective business models up in the air while they’re still not sure what, if anything, they’re going to gain by doing so.”

"Referring to the DIT/IT Tallaght/IT Blanchardstown ‘TU4D’ proposal, Dr Griffin said it represented “a Dublin solution to clean up DIT, Tallaght and Blanchardstown (within DIT’s new Grangegorman campus) – yet we’re being asked in the South East to merge, from what I can see, for nothing, and we will probably be left having to fight over everything.”

Great to see someone has the courage to point out the the TU process is an emperor with no clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,283 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the WCFE (locally known as cti and the tech) are trying to move out to the college street campus when WIT moves all college street operations out to the Cork Road

what will happen the Cti building is unknown but it would prob be worth a pretty penny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

PTH2009 wrote: »

what will happen the Cti building is unknown but it would prob be worth a pretty penny

If walls could talk that building could tell some stories :D

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the WCFE (locally known as cti and the tech) are trying to move out to the college street campus when WIT moves all college street operations out to the Cork Road

My view is that there is almost no chance this is going to happen. College St holds 2,000 students, WIT is already stuffed with students. One of the two new buildings planned got formally cancelled two weeks ago. Very hard to see where WIT is going to stuff the College St campus students and faculty into the main campus until at least 2022- if they started building today!

WIT will not be allowed retain or reuse the funds from the sale of College st (they go back to the central purse, and will not come back to the South East. WIT cannot even get the tiny sums required to buy the Waterford Crystal site which would give the institute another 50 years of development land. Madness for central government. Meanwhile Limerick IT got a new campus (3.5m) and Howlin organised the purchase of field in Wexford.

This move has been talked about for at least 4 years, and although WCFE really want it to happen and WIT wants out of college st without investment in WIT my guess is it is never going to happen.

There is one way of making it happen- and that is to continue to cut WIT's budget until the student base drops by 2,000 students.

invara wrote: »
    Meanwhile Limerick IT got a new campus (3.5m) and Howlin organised the purchase of field in Wexford.
    Good points both of those developments only came about because local Tds Howlin and Jan O'Sullivan were in the cabinet when those decisions were made. As I have said before on here , if Phil hogan had been a Waterford TD WIT would be well down the road to being a stand-alone university at this point.All of these decisions are parish pump with educational need a secondary consideration.

• Advertisement

How much is Waterford Crystal site?

Absolutely ideal for a University to be honest.

Advertisement