Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Hopefully they can make go of it with the Headquarters in Carlow. Its great for the region as a whole that we will have a Technical University

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Deiseen

dzilla wrote: »
    Hopefully they can make go of it with the Headquarters in Carlow. Its great for the region as a whole that we will have a Technical University

Ok so we will have one technological uni in the entire region, with no ITs and no Unis with the HQ not even in Waterford, but every other city will have a full blown uni and Technological Uni?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Okay I've always assumed you were a troll and now we know you are by advocating Carlow (nearer greater Dublin than Waterford) as the hub for the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Deiseen wrote: »
    This is just unbelievable. How come all our politicians are so in the dark on this?
    Nobody cares , Carlow have all the politicians and the Dept backing them.Meanwhile Waterfords strongest politician David Cullinane spends his time tearing WIT apart and wrecking its reputation on the PAC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This is just unbelievable. How come all our politicians are so in the dark on this?

What makes you think they are in the dark?

They know full well ...... and what they have or not have done about it is what they should be judged on.

I can only hope that WIT can find a way to take themselves out of this and keep applying for 'proper' Uni status in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

If true, this is simply outrageous.

What makes you think they are in the dark?

They know full well ...... and what they have or not have done about it is what they should be judged on.

I can only hope that WIT can find a way to take themselves out of this and keep applying for 'proper' Uni status in the future.

Zero chance of getting out of it now , its a done deal

imacman wrote: »
    I see it reported in the News and Star that reports are emanating from Carlow that a new 25,000 square foot 3 story building to house the TUSE headquarters is going to tender.I checked the out etenders and found it
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=136585&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders
    The paper says if this is true its the greatest betrayal of Waterford in its history, i agree its another kick for Waterford and we shouldn't take it lying down .Pity we have such weak politicians who are unwilling or unable to fight for us

I haven't seen the report, but there is nothing in the tender to indicate it is for TU headquarters.
    It is a building to replace an existing two storey prefab.

One wonders .....

Ok so we will have one technological uni in the entire region, with no ITs and no Unis with the HQ not even in Waterford, but every other city will have a full blown uni and Technological Uni?

Okay I've always assumed you were a troll and now we know you are by advocating Carlow (nearer greater Dublin than Waterford) as the hub for the south east.

We are a small region and we have great transport links to carlow, bus / train and motorway. Forgive me for looking at the South East as a ragion encompassing Carlow wexford kk Waterford and East Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Our junior minister of education is doing a great job isn't he. Do you remember people on here saying get our FG TDs out and halligan in.

• Advertisement

We are a small region and we have great transport links to carlow, bus / train and motorway. Forgive me for looking at the South East as a ragion encompassing Carlow wexford kk Waterford and East Tipp.
    Waterford is the only city in the region, by any logic the headquarters should be based in the largest center of population.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It doesn't sound like some of the staff of both institutions are on board at all with this merger, it could be a stormy one

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like some of the staff of both institutions are on board at all with this merger, it could be a stormy one
    I know a good few WIT staff and they have told me that the majority of WIT are massively negative about the merger.The feeling on the ground is that Carlow are bossing the merger and will end up as the leaders of the TU with all the power while Waterford will become an outreach campus.

imacman wrote: »
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I know a good few WIT staff and they have told me that the majority of WIT are massively negative about the merger.The feeling on the ground is that Carlow are bossing the merger and will end up as the leaders of the TU with all the power while Waterford will become an outreach campus.

Why can't WIT pull out? Or have they been offered something substantial in order to allow the HQ to be in Carlow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Who cares where the HQ of this farce will be? Nobody will ever look at a "Technological University" of this type as anything other than the shallow facaded scam it is. I can almost hear the sniggering from here...."You went what university?"

Grow a pair of balls, tell the government to fcuk off, a real university in Waterford or nothing. Carlow can do as it pleases and work toward it someday if ever.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Who cares where the HQ of this farce will be? Nobody will ever look at a "Technological University" of this type as anything other than the shallow facaded scam it is. I can almost hear the sniggering from here...."You went what university?"

Grow a pair of balls, tell the government to fcuk off, a real university in Waterford or nothing. Carlow can do as it pleases and work toward it someday if ever.

It's great for the region. We need to stop looking at this parish pump politics Waterford centric idiocracy

It's great for the region. We need to stop looking at this parish pump politics Waterford centric idiocracy

It would be great for the region for the HQ to be in Waterford or for us to get a full blown Uni. This will be a watered down abomination.

It would be great for the region for the HQ to be in Waterford or for us to get a full blown Uni. This will be a watered down abomination.
    Where the HQ is makes no difference. This is a farce and represents only the cheapest way possible for FG to pay lip service to Waterford once again

Where the HQ is makes no difference. This is a farce and represents only the cheapest way possible for FG to pay lip service to Waterford once again

Not actually true - the most jobs are where the admin is concentrated esp in the public/semi-state sector.

Why can't WIT pull out? Or have they been offered something substantial in order to allow the HQ to be in Carlow?
    WIT have been offered nothing but punishment from the government for the last 10 years . I dont think its possible for them to pull out even if the executive board wanted to I could see the government forcing it through using the governing body who mostly dont work at WIT, are very political and have final say in this process.Prof Willie Donnally will fight for WIT but his Governing body chairman is a government appointee and previously mayor of Wexford which has strong ties to Carlow as there is a campus there.He seems to be in Carlows pocket so Willie is quite isolated. He will retire in two years leaving the door open for ITCarlow president Patricia Mulcahy to become president of the TU with her powerbase and headquarters in Carlow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭invara

This is awful, a total disaster for our region. IT Carlow is a fine IoT, they have always wanted to be an IoT and are very comfortable doing access programmes, level 6-7. This makes sense in South Leinster as people in Carlow have commutable access to TCD, UCD, DIT, DCU and Maynooth. Further south in the region, where most of the 500,000 people of the region live the Dublin universities are just too far away and so this is where the region loses its young.

WIT has fought and earned its place to be a credible platform for a university. It has graduated PhDs for 25 years, won huge EU research programmes at the cutting edge of science, it has very significant degree and masters programmes. WIT applied to be a university, and carries that aspiration towards excellence in its veins. For the HQ to go to the smaller, academically weaker party is a statement that the region will be led by an IoT ethos. And so the university campaign goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Waterford to leave the republic, that's what we need a referendum on.
    Since the foundation of the Republic Waterford has been shafted.... Enough is enough

Bards wrote: »
    Since the foundation of the Republic Waterford has been shafted.... Enough is enough

except there is not enough wealth generated in the area to sustain it :(

except there is not enough wealth generated in the area to sustain it :(
    That's what the English thought when they gave is the 26 poorest counties and held onto the 6 richest

It's better for our children and their children s children to be in charge of their own destiny that trudge along for another hundred years of FFG

LOL, I suppose we could become the Singapore of Europe!

At the very least it would open a dialogue of discussion.. perhaps get Europe involved...show how we are being shafted.... Embarass the govt into action

One thing for sure doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is lunacy

That's what the English thought when they gave is the 26 poorest counties and held onto the 6 richest

It's better for our children and their children s children to be in charge of their own destiny that trudge along for another hundred years of FFG

FF/FG are not imposed upon Waterford by the will of some foreign power. They are elected time and time again by Waterford people, with the same results. Literally self inflicted misery. By all means break away. That will present all new and exciting ways to shoot at our own feet....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

FF/FG are not imposed upon Waterford by the will of some foreign power. They are elected time and time again by Waterford people, with the same results. Literally self inflicted misery. By all means break away. That will present all new and exciting ways to shoot at our own feet....

Who do you suggest voting for? Having a load of useless independents or fringe parties instead is hardly going to do us any favours

Who do you suggest voting for? Having a load of useless independents or fringe parties instead is hardly going to do us any favours

Grand so. Try the same thing again. See if it works out different THIS time.

• Advertisement

Grand so. Try the same thing again. See if it works out different THIS time.

Waterford hasn't had a politician with any clout since Martin Cullen , it's sad to think that education considerations don't come into the TU process and its a purely a political game .To rub salt in the wounds AIT and LIT have got funding from the dept last week to start moving towards a TU with no mention of mergers.Boxer Moran has been pushing for that for the last year as AIT is in his constituency.So we will be left in a toxic abusive merger with Carlow while those other ITs drive on alone

Advertisement