Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭fits

vriesmays wrote: »
    Instead of having the best IT in the country Waterford will have the worst university in the country.

Well that’s not answering my question on difference in contractual terms is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I do think the days of being able to say that WIT is the best IT in the country are gone now.

Once upon a time students wouldn't have considered Carlow if offered Waterford but that was in the past.

WIT is still a good college but its not this stand alone institution that's miles better than other IT's and of close to uni standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Azatadine wrote: »
    I do think the days of being able to say that WIT is the best IT in the country are gone now.

Once upon a time students wouldn't have considered Carlow if offered Waterford but that was in the past.

WIT is still a good college but its not this stand alone institution that's miles better than other IT's and of close to uni standard.

Its amazing what 12 years (2004-2016) of having Tom Boland, axeman for the university heads in the HEA, added to 10 years of malignant Fine Gael policy, no investment, budget cuts, destruction of management and leadership etc., will get you.

I daresay I could bring TCD to its knees in 10 years if given a free hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

I dont know the exact details but it has been widely reported there is a major difference in terms
    "Also, Waterford IT lecturers have more favorable work practices, and bringing the systems into line would cost IT Carlow €2m-€3m a year."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/another-tech-university-project-hit-by-wrangle-over-26m-issue-38294742.html

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JimWinters

I was talking to a friend who works in WIT. Apparently there is something like 20 local agreements between WIT and lecturing staff that don’t exist in Carlow. These agreements include things like timetable allocations for course leaders (to organise other lecturers and students on the course), agreements on more hours for larger class groups, allowances for correcting exams and academic calendars (WIT is semesterised, Carlow is now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

JimWinters wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend who works in WIT. Apparently there is something like 20 local agreements between WIT and lecturing staff that don’t exist in Carlow. These agreements include things like timetable allocations for course leaders (to organise other lecturers and students on the course), agreements on more hours for larger class groups, allowances for correcting exams and academic calendars (WIT is semesterised, Carlow is now)
    I understand that WIT and other IoTs like Cork simply copied arrangements that applied in DIT. Carlow did not and built facilities on basis of low staff costs. Carlow cost base would rise dramatically in a TUSE merger, putting huge strain on whole enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Muttley79 wrote: »

That's about the fifth time this has been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

will go to tender in early 2021

A lot can happen before a sod is turned ......

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Here is the press release from the original announcement in 2017
    https://www.wit.ie/news/news/wit-to-receive-funds-for-new-building-as-part-of-200m-investment-in-institu
    This was announced in 2009 , cancelled in 2011, announced again 2017 to be completed by 2020 and now announced again and wont even go to tender till 2021.I sickens me to see the Mary White lauding this as a great win for WIT on twitter like this is new development and she had something to do with it. That building is the very least the college deserves and all they are going to get from this government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

They need to do something different to other colleges to stand out. A BA hons in Traveller Studies would put WIT on the map and fast track a university.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

imacman wrote: »
    Does Waterford matter in the national scheme of things at all?

Simple answer ..... apparently not.

Simple answer ..... apparently not.
    Again it comes back to the parish pump politics of the Irish system. Waterford hast had a front bench politician of an influence since Martin Cullen. ( John Halligan wasn't at the races) So we have had a lost decade over the last 10 years with little investment while Limerick Cork and Galway have been well looked after

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Perhaps yous should resort again to ask the Queen of England for help?

echancrure wrote: »
    Perhaps yous should resort again to ask the Queen of England for help?
    Stick to the Carlow threads mate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Pravda/RTE has decided that WIT is a university.

"The President of Waterford Institute of Technology has said students at the university will be asked to pay full fees, despite its decision to deliver all lectures, tutorials and practical classes off-campus throughout the coming academic year."

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/0831/1162295-wit-online/

That was nice of them.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jmcc wrote: »

"The President of Waterford Institute of Technology has said students at the university will be asked to pay full fees, despite its decision to deliver all lectures, tutorials and practical classes off-campus throughout the coming academic year."

That was nice of them.

Regards...jmcc

wonder can i get a new parchment with it printed on it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

WIT back in the news again for all the wrong reasons.

Head off now, I'm off tomorrow to sort out my new parchment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

jmcc wrote: »

That was nice of them.

Regards...jmcc

Hahaha, I reckon its deliberate too

Hahaha, I reckon its deliberate too

To be fair, I'd be p1ssed if I was a student there this year, I assume students will get a reduction in fees, when things return to 'normal'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

3000 euro for a zoom education is ridiculous. We are already paying the highest fees in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I can understand the situation/call made. I think other colleges will and are going to follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

NUIG haven't lowered their fees, I don't know about anywhere else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

NUIG haven't lowered their fees, I don't know about anywhere else though.

The 3,000 student contribution is set by the central Govt, I think.

So I don't think an individual HEI has any discretion over it?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd be p1ssed if I was a student there this year, I assume students will get a reduction in fees, when things return to 'normal'!
    I have seen this reduce fees comment come up a lot a lot but it doesnt stand up , its actually more expensive to run the college remotely . Lecturers and staff will still be paid the same but think of all the rooms and lecture halls that need to be upgraded so they can give lectures online.That is an enormous cost and plus there is a big drop in revenue from the reduction of business in campus shops, restaurants and accommodation with a smaller amount of students on campus.
    Add to this there are no international students this year , another massive drop in revenue for the college . There is no scope for fee reduction

Disagree I though Willie Donnally did well in all his interviews very clear and upfront , at least he told students whats going to happen this unlike some other colleges .And all the others will follow the approach in the next few weeks as its the only way forward now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

3000 euro for a zoom education is ridiculous. We are already paying the highest fees in the EU.

All without the national broadband! Those with poor connectivity are goosed.

• Advertisement

imacman wrote:
    I have seen this reduce fees comment come up a lot a lot but it doesnt stand up , its actually more expensive to run the college remotely . Lecturers and staff will still be paid the same but think of all the rooms and lecture halls that need to be upgraded so they can give lectures online.That is an enormous cost and plus there is a big drop in revenue from the reduction of business in campus shops, restaurants and accommodation with a smaller amount of students on campus. Add to this there are no international students this year , another massive drop in revenue for the college . There is no scope for fee reduction

I understand where this is coming from, but it's the optics of it, the Irish student is getting shafted in this, we have to get over our continual thinking, we simply don't have the money bullsh1t, covid payments were increased literally over night, central banks can never run out of money, ever! We need to stop feeding the accountance!

Advertisement