Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

wellboytoo wrote: »
    So tis you everyone is waiting for to make up their mind then!

LOL brilliant... :D

If only... then we'd know who we needed to convince.

dayshah wrote: »
    Jim Power isn't from WIT, but he gets plenty of coverage, and hasn't forgotten that he's from Waterford.

The point that fuzzy dunlop was making wasn't about where the various media contributors come from originally, but what academic institutions get represented in the media as being centres of thought, discussion, research, etc., and therefore which ones are perceived nationally as important.

Contributors from WIT are as rare as hens' teeth in the national media, despite how excellent they may individually be. When RTE, Today FM or Newstalk want someone to comment on unemployment, interest rates, new vaccines, or whatever, they pick up the phone to one of the universities, and that feeds into people's perception of the universities as somehow superior.

And I should hope Jim Power hasn't forgotten that he's from Waterford! What we need though, is to see a few media contributors over the next few years who are Waterford-based. That's the challenge, even if WIT does become a university.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I have not made my mind up on whether it should go ahead. One reason why I and probably the powers that be would be very reluctant to grant Uni status is because it could result in a domino effect - once WIT gets it, then CIT will say "well if they got it, sure maybe we could...." and so on with an avalanche of IT's right down to the likes of (former)Tipperary Institute trying to jump on the Technological University bandwagon. The same as when WRTC became an IT, then they all ended up as IT's.
    If this were to happen then the technological university concept would be devalued and amount to only a change in name, as has been thrashed out before on here.

That's a crap reason in fairness. A government with the balls to close hospitals should have the same balls to upgrade one IoT for a good reason and deny all the rest. Simple as that. Talking about 'domino effects' and 'avalanches' gives the impression we are dealing with vast natural forces beyond human control, which is simply not true.

Surprise, surprise - nobody from WIT on the list. Is any of these individuals even from Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

There was an article on WIT and its attempted re-designation in back of Sunday Times. Basically said that it could generate millions for the economy but nothing is happening or likely to happen soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Max Powers wrote: »
    There was an article on WIT and its attempted re-designation in back of Sunday Times. Basically said that it could generate millions for the economy but nothing is happening or likely to happen soon.

That's fast-tracking for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Think this is the article: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0920/1224304413084.html

The criteria for a Technological University are to be definitely published before the end of this year, and then in 2012 WIT could apply for TU status. No doubt some other issues will arise to stop or delay the upgrade to TU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

fricatus wrote: »
    The point that fuzzy dunlop was making wasn't about where the various media contributors come from originally, but what academic institutions get represented in the media as being centres of thought, discussion, research, etc., and therefore which ones are perceived nationally as important.

I can't remember the last time I saw someone from Galway or UCC either. They just go for Dublin academics because that is where they are based. Its easier to send a camera crew to TCD than WIT or UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

dayshah wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I saw someone from Galway or UCC either. They just go for Dublin academics because that is where they are based. Its easier to send a camera crew to TCD than WIT or UCC.

People like Alan Ahearne and Ed Walsh are prominently on VB and various readio commentary. It doesn't matter where someone is based due to the miracle of the telephone:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

While we're at it can we turn WCFE into an I.T :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

There is a female lecturer from WIT who has appeared on the Six-one news and Vincent Brown on a couple of occasions. She's a criminologist, but she's the only WIT academic that I've ever seen on television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 EMSCHAP

cocoshovel wrote: »
    While we're at it can we turn WCFE into an I.T :pac:
    WCFE would be ideally suited to take over all the apprentice courses which will be taken out of WIT if it ever makes uni status. In fact in it's days as CTI, it was the home of apprentice/trades education in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

EMSCHAP wrote: »
    WCFE would be ideally suited to take over all the apprentice courses which will be taken out of WIT if it ever makes uni status. In fact in it's days as CTI, it was the home of apprentice/trades education in the city.

The whole point of the technological university even being conceived is that these courses wont be comprimised.

People like Alan Ahearne and Ed Walsh are prominently on VB and various readio commentary. It doesn't matter where someone is based due to the miracle of the telephone:rolleyes:

Not many telephone interviews on TV.

You've a point about Alan Ahearne (I can only remember one media appearance), but Ed Walsh is just a media whore. He is no longer with UL, he could even live in Dublin now.

Galway has a good tele thingy, due to TG4, who cooperate with RTE.

Dublin academics are far more likely to go to Dept Finance launches of publications and so on, where they mix with journalists. The journalists then get their contact info.

Anyway media appearance are in no way a reflection of academic ability.

In fairness to Ed Walsh, he's in favour of a university in Waterford:
    The 2010 recommendation to create a technological university has triggered a distracting political and academic dynamic making it appear essential for most warm-blooded academics and local politicians to seek university status for their institute of technology.

The institutes of technology form as vital a component of regional infrastructure as the universities: both are required. The technological university recommendation should be shelved. One anomaly exists however: Waterford is Ireland’s only regional city without a university and there is a strong economic case for addressing this major infrastructural deficit in the southeast. The Waterford Institute of Technology should be transformed into the University of Waterford with possible outreach programmes in Kilkenny and Carlow. Sub-degree work should be reassigned to the adjacent IofTs. Finance should not be an issue; most of the capital investment has already been made.

Source: Irish Times, 25 November 2011 - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/innovation/2011/1125/1224307877743.html

fricatus wrote: »
    In fairness to Ed Walsh, he's in favour of a university in Waterford:

I don't like Ed Walsh, but he certainly isn't part of any Dublin academic cosy consensus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think after going through the hoops and roundabouts, the reality is that us having a university would mean Waterford would prosper, at the perceived expense of our friends down the south coast and in Dublin.

Therefore, the turkeys won't ever vote for Christmas until we have influential turkeys of our own. Given that our turkeys number a lot less than other areas' turkeys, and their turkeys are very very influential turkeys.. its a clear decision, and one based on anything but the merits of the plan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rumour has it that the head of Carlow IT is the new WIT President!

Sully wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the head of Carlow IT is the new WIT President!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

I thought rumors weren't allowed without something to substantiate them?

Trotter wrote: »
    I think after going through the hoops and roundabouts, the reality is that us having a university would mean Waterford would prosper, at the perceived expense of our friends down the south coast and in Dublin.

Therefore, the turkeys won't ever vote for Christmas until we have influential turkeys of our own. Given that our turkeys number a lot less than other areas' turkeys, and their turkeys are very very influential turkeys.. its a clear decision, and one based on anything but the merits of the plan.

That sums up the situation and our quest for a level playing field nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

That sums up the situation and our quest for a level playing field nicely.

Unfortunately, it's also a self-fulfilling prophecy (similar to the occupy Waterford won't get anywhere so I won't join them argument).

Waterford/south east expects powerful vested interests to block university -> powerful vested interests realise that they can get away with blocking it -> no university is delivered.

No point in going to the table with a face like you're going to lose.

merlante wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it's also a self-fulfilling prophecy (similar to the occupy Waterford won't get anywhere so I won't join them argument).

Waterford/south east expects powerful vested interests to block university -> powerful vested interests realise that they can get away with blocking it -> no university is delivered.

No point in going to the table with a face like you're going to lose.

This cam[paign has been going on for years now, certainly since I was in WRTC (95 approx) so no one is giving up teh ghost on this as it is massively important to the south east.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

MacGyver wrote: »

Indeed, if they are damaging to a business. This is hardly damaging and its come from within WIT so its worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Trotter wrote: »

all this talk of turkey makes me hungry......

i thought thius was a discussion on the WIT not farming... :D

MacGyver wrote: »
    The current President of Institute of Technology in Carlow Dr Ruaidhri Neavyn is expected to be ratified as the new Waterford IT president.The decision will go the Governing body next Tuesday for ratification.Before going to Carlow Rory Neavyn held several senior management positions at Limerick IT including Head of Development and Registrar.Earlier last month speaking at a student conferring in Carlow Ruaidhri Neavyn, praised the visionary initiative taken by Minister Phil Hogan in the recommendation to explore the establishment of a multi-campus Technological University in the South East.He said the Governing Body, looked forward to the campuses of IT Carlow being key and highly influential to any proposed multi-campus University for the South East.He will replace Professor Kieran Byrne whose second term was not ratified by the WIT board earlier this year.Chairman Donie Ormonde said at the time that given the strategic nature of the appointment, at a time of change and challenge in the third-level sector, the board decided to broaden its search and selection process both nationally and internationallyIt folllowed controversy after details of spending by Prof Byrne’s office showed that more than €130,000 was spent on taxis since 2004 and a similar figure was spent on fine art. Tony McFeely was appointed interim president last May and will remain in the position until Rory Neavyntakes up the post on January first.

Source: http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/136456.html

There, its official. Happy?! ;)

He said the Governing Body, looked forward to the campuses of IT Carlow being key and highly influential to any proposed multi-campus University for the South East.
    Does anyone find this worrying? I don't like this multi-campus USE if it means WIT have to share with ITC. I don't mind if it was just a few courses being done in ITC, but it's starting to sound like ITC might play a big role in our technological university. Why should it? Waterford and WIT have done all the hard work and lobbying to get this far, and now it looks like ITC can just hop aboard.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but it would be disappointing if WIT cannot become a technological university on its own without having to give something out to other IT's. The whole point of our university campaign is to be on an equal playing field with the other cities and have a university in the SE region but it now looks we'll have 2 pieces of a technological university on opposite ends of the region.

As a WIT employee and someone who cares about the college and the region I would be equally concerned with this from a number of viewpoints. I suppose it might be better than merging with CIT as the rumour was that all higher level courses would have been moved to Cork. WIT would obviously be the bigger player if any merger goes ahead wit Carlow but I still think it'll have negative effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Does anyone find this worrying? I don't like this multi-campus USE if it means WIT have to share with ITC. I don't mind if it was just a few courses being done in ITC, but it's starting to sound like ITC might play a big role in our technological university. Why should it? Waterford and WIT have done all the hard work and lobbying to get this far, and now it looks like ITC can just hop aboard.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but it would be disappointing if WIT cannot become a technological university on its own without having to give something out to other IT's. The whole point of our university campaign is to be on an equal playing field with the other cities and have a university in the SE region but it now looks we'll have 2 pieces of a technological university on opposite ends of the region.

Well hopefully the fact that he'll now be working for WIT and answerable to their board of directors might make him rethink his earlier stance.

Earlier stance? I think he made that comment today, upon his appointment. I also read a quote recently from Tony McFeely who was the acting president until today, about how WIT was working with ITC on the multi campus university.

• Advertisement

Iv been told a few times that Carlow & Waterford are meeting regularly in relation to forming a University.

Advertisement