Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Rustyman101

Even went along with FF over the boundary commission. Imagine directly going against the best interests of your county.
    mentioned that when she knocked on my door looking for a vote, I'd say even she sussed she wasn't getting my vote ever ! how she has the gaul to knock on people's doors is beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Even went along with FF over the boundary commission. Imagine directly going against the best interests of your county.

Self interest is a much more potent motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I wrote to the 4 TD's and John Cummins about this before Christmas, only O'Cathasaigh, Butler and Cullinane replied.

O'Cathasaigh:
    Full university is a longer term project but confident we will get there
    Discussed expansion of current WIT campus with Minister
    Supports TUSE, as it may not be the university we want right now but we can turn it into it over time

Butler
    100% supportive of TUSE
    Attended every meeting
    Encouraged by the appointment of Tom Boland

Cullinane
    Agrees Waterford needs a standalone university of scale
    Sinn Féin will always support higher education in Waterford

O'Cathasaigh is the only one that gave a non-template answer in fairness to him, but I think he's being a little bit naive.

Butler's response genuinely worried me but I was hardly surprised.

Very disappointed with Cullinane, agrees Waterford needs a standalone university of scale but has done absolutely nothing to highlight this in the Dáil or try to halt the TUSE process....

David has no interest in Waterford since he got the health brief. He spends more time on twitter tweeting @Stephen Donnelly than anything else these days.

People should email direct questions (he prob wont respond to them)
    Q1 Should the HQ be in Waterford?
    Q2 Will the issue be raised in the Dail personally or by the relevant colleague in SF?

Since the GE the only decent performance from local TDs has been Mark and Matt on different issues.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Since the GE the only decent performance from local TDs has been Mark and Matt on different issues.

Sorry, would you happen to have any examples of where they have preformed well, Matt has only started to become vocal on this issue lately, and he had something do do with some recent diabetes screening program if I remember correctly, other than that, I can’t think of anything else he has done, as for Marc, I couldn’t tell you anything he has done, and he’s actually in a party that’s in government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone listening to this on wlr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Anyone listening to this on wlr?

is it over, whats the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Yep. Mary from the dairy asked her boss and he is saying the HQ in Kilkenny talk is "mischiefmaking rumour", DT told her to feck off and confirm or deny and her tongue fell off.

I'll put the links up later. There were various contributors - including two Kilkenny FF councilors, Mary Butler, Matt Shanahan.

David Cullinane issued a statement this morning about the HQ proposal saying SF are against any such move - taking about FF/Car stitch up by FG/FF. https://beat102103.com/news/waterford-td-calls-for-a-decision-on-tuse-headquarters-to-be-made/
    “There is a concerted effort by voices in Carlow and Kilkenny for the headquarters to be placed in Kilkenny. It is important that political considerations do not trump what is in the best interests of the region and a future University.

“Parking this issue is not an option. The Minister needs to intervene and clearly set out the process for selection. A decision needs to be made sooner rather than later. We need to know what a Technological University for the region will look like before an application is made. We cannot be expected to buy a pig in a poke. We need clarity and urgently.

Shanahan was the most clear and concise as he has made this a point of interest so he has the arguments well honed by this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Mary Butler was trying her best, but flailing. Repeating government line "no decision made" etc. No capacity for independent thought. Kilkenny voices not sure and not really informed. party line regurgitation. "Act together" etc. Shanahan clear and knowledgeable.

If the process had started with an announcement of HQ and major campus in Waterford with campuses in Carlow, Wexford and Kilkenny there would not be a word about it from anyone. Whole process thrown into chaos by Fine Gael politics and or Simon Harris by allowing uncertainty.

Miserable stuff, just like what happened to UHW.

This is the opening salvo in written form https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/02/01/167272/ but without the hurt tone.

Scroll to bottom for the audio of the discussion
    A FORMER Kilkenny mayor has maintained that we should keep inter-county rivalry for Croke Park – and not let it “divide” the region when it comes to the location of a headquarters for the new Technical University of the South East (TUSEI).

Paul Cuddihy, who was a FG councillor for Kilkenny , said Waterford sometimes portrays itself as “Cinderella” in terms of not getting what it wants but the narrative of “always the bridesmaid and never the bride” is not helpful.

Speaking to Damien Tiernan on Deise Today this morning, he said this doesn’t encourage others in the region to support Waterford. It also does “nothing for investment,” he said, and then “we all lose out”.

Paul Cuddihy said the region, not just Waterford and Carlow, needs a university and it was his belief that a headquarters in Kilkenny might be a good option.

It would avoid, he said, the internal politics of Carlow and Waterford, and also it is geographically half-way between the two places.

“We all need to work together. There are some people in Waterford who feel every regional thing should go to Waterford. I remember people from the regional airport came to Kilkenny looking for funding. We asked to put ‘south east’ in the title. But they didn’t. They took the money and went,” he said on Deise Today.

• Advertisement

This is the opening salvo in written form https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/02/01/167272/ but without the hurt tone.

Lets repeat the mistake we made with the Health Board in 1972. Locate teh admin in Kilkenny and the regional hospital in Waterford and destroy the development of acute medical services in the region for 50 years. UHW might be short of services, but St Luke's Kilkenny is a disaster. On day one of the TUSE two thirds of it will be in WIT as Ray Griffin has said and one third in Carlow. Top management, HQ and governance has to be in the regional city which as Mary Butler said already fulfils the criteria for university of the international adjudicating panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I'll put the links up later. There were various contributors - including two Kilkenny FF councilors, Mary Butler, Matt Shanahan.

David Cullinane issued a statement this morning about the HQ proposal saying SF are against any such move - taking about FF/Car stitch up by FG/FF. https://beat102103.com/news/waterford-td-calls-for-a-decision-on-tuse-headquarters-to-be-made/

Shanahan was the most clear and concise as he has made this a point of interest so he has the arguments well honed by this stage.

Not a good response from David and he had a weekend to come up with a response.

Still not confirmed his support for a Waterford HQ. Personally I am sure he wants it but he is been diplomatic just in case it goes to Kilkenny or Carlow and of course banks him political points to score in future.
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    Sorry, would you happen to have any examples of where they have preformed well, Matt has only started to become vocal on this issue lately, and he had something do do with some recent diabetes screening program if I remember correctly, other than that, I can’t think of anything else he has done, as for Marc, I couldn’t tell you anything he has done, and he’s actually in a party that’s in government.

He has had good contributions on varies topics and doesn't just issue statements about x, y and z complaining about the Goverment!

I am sure Mark had a role to push the NQ funding.

___
    Not keen on a TUSE, WIT would be better alone or becoming a full university.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Laughable if it wasnt so serious from that kk mayor chap, kk were less than enthusiastic about 'the region', WIT, hospital, roads, infrastructure, etc for decades and this lad pops up because there is an opportunity to take from Waterford (and carlow prob to lesser extent).

A hq of a rebadged WIT in kk is a joke and if that transpires, WIT would probably be better walking away. My fear is, top management will get their money for themselves and the organisation will suffer down the line.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not keen on a TUSE, WIT would be better alone or becoming a full university.

Unless someone a billionaire can fund an independent university we're doomed really. Dr Ray Griffin mentioned 200m needed to make an upgrade and that was with the existing campus included.

A fresh start working outside the existing education infrastructure would be eye-watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Why don’t he explain why a town with 26000 people, that in reality has never even been classified a city, that does not meet even the minimal EU criteria to be a city deserves the TUSEI HQ over Waterford that meets all these points and more?

He wants to rob Waterford of something it has been working for decades to achieve with next to no support from Kilkenny and he has the neck to talk about inter-county rivalry.

You don’t know what is going on behind the senses. Still have a suspicion that it is a way to force WIT into the merger. They can dangle the carrot of the HQ in Waterford to make the whole thing happen in the end. Even though in reality the whole thing sucks. They should be just upgrading WIT and stop wasting millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

John Cummins needs to come on the radio and put his position on record. Bad and all as FG are it wont get any better for us with daddys boy on the ticket. Is there any hope coffey might come out of retirement? Or any one else worth talking about in FG?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

John Cummins needs to come on the radio and put his position on record. Bad and all as FG are it wont get any better for us with daddys boy on the ticket. Is there any hope coffey might come out of retirement? Or any one else worth talking about in FG?

Imagine his position is something like "Urgh University is a shiny word, and Technological make it extra shiny. This will be a game changer for the region. Look over there, it's Sinn Féin".

Do you really think it will be anything worthwhile or enlightening that would come out of him?

Imagine his position is something like "Urgh University is a shiny word, and Technological make it extra shiny. This will be a game changer for the region. Look over there, it's Sinn Féin".

Do you really think it will be anything worthwhile or enlightening that would come out of him?

i dont but he needs to be exposed for what he is & put his position on record.

It is laughable that we went from the much maligned Deasy / Coffey duo to Cummins.

In fairness to Deasy / Coffey, no way would they stand for this. Cummins will roll over and is just glad to be part of the big show in Dublin.

what makes me laugh about this whole thing is that labour who were the initial architects of this are now calling for it to be thrown in the bin!

Just goes to show how out of control it is! Limerick will have 2 x universitys, and Waterford will have 1 that is to be dispersed across 8 counties and 2 provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Yea I listened to it , the former Kilkenny mayor starts off by saying its all about the region usual guff and we all have to work together then spends the rest of the interview disparaging Waterford , Damian Teirnan should have shut him down.The next Kilkenny guest was all over the place trying to compare the TU to the merging of Waterford hurling teams. I can see Waterford people being very angry about what was said especially the first contributor

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

imacman wrote: »
    Yea I listened to it , the former Kilkenny mayor starts off by saying its all about the region usual guff and we all have to work together then spends the rest of the interview disparaging Waterford , Damian Teirnan should have shut him down.The next Kilkenny guest was all over the place trying to compare the TU to the merging of Waterford hurling teams. I can see Waterford people being very angry about what was said especially the first contributor

You miss your own point, DT played both of the KK "contributors" at their own game by letting them spout off. Rise up Waterford and fight your corner. And well done DT, he's been getting an unchallenged kicking on this page.

• Advertisement

Mary Butler, like or loath gave forth well on this unlike Marc O'Cathasiagh who was in favour but in a way that gave you little confidence that he'd take any sort of a stand on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Greens really only care about the environment anything else is only secondary to them. It's not really surprising for me to hear that. Marc seems like a nice guy but not the sort I would want fighting my corner.

Greens really only care about the environment anything else is only secondary to them. It's not really surprising for me to hear that. Marc seems like a nice guy but not the sort I would want fighting my corner.

...and you d wonder why theres so much upheaval going on in the party at the moment! oh and marc is a lovely fella, but the party seriously needs to pull itself together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ...and you d wonder why theres so much upheaval going on in the party at the moment! oh and marc is a lovely fella, but the party seriously needs to pull itself together

The Green TDs are more environment focused it seems and the grass roots are more social justice orientated it seems. Eamon Ryan is an awful leader, and falling asleep now and then doesn't inspire much confidence. I think we can safely count them out when it comes to delivering a University for Waterford.

The Green TDs are more environment focused it seems and the grass roots are more social justice orientated it seems. Eamon Ryan is an awful leader, and falling asleep now and then doesn't inspire much confidence. I think we can safely count them out when it comes to delivering a University for Waterford.

the grass roots, particularly the younger generation, are deeply concerned about the environment, but we have successfully created the prefect storm for them, nearly every critical need of theirs is in serious trouble now, and they realise it, but the older generation of the party doesnt realise how seriously so, theyre completely disconnected from this younger generations situation, if they aligned themselves more so to many of these new movements, such as the green new deal etc, they could easily resolve these in party disruptions, but i suspect they wont

Mary Butler, like or loath gave forth well on this unlike Marc O'Cathasiagh who was in favour but in a way that gave you little confidence that he'd take any sort of a stand on the issue.

Marc is a nice guy, but so what? Nice guys come last.

Ms Butler spoke better than normally, presumably the message is getting through to her, but allowing the issue to be pushed off until after the TUSE is formed and allowing a the new board to decide management location and structures is a recipe for disaster. Board will be packed against Waterford. If it looks like s**t and smells like s**t then it more than likely is s**t!

Tomorrow the Waterford Chamber of Commerce will be on. Butler noted their silence on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

91wx763 wrote: »
    You miss your own point, DT played both of the KK "contributors" at their own game by letting them spout off. Rise up Waterford and fight your corner. And well done DT, he's been getting an unchallenged kicking on this page.

Ok I get your point and you are probably right , he did give him rope to hang himself . According to the ex Kilkenny mayor we all should work together and not be parochial when its to Kilkenny benefit and Waterford people is not a team southeast players for standing up for themselves. The hypocrisy was tangible

has David cullinane come out anywhere on this? He claims to be Waterfords champion - and his vote would certainly indicate he is, but in the name of god this is the biggest issue in a lifetime and no word! Or at least maybe i missed it, am on shift all week so quite possible!!

The silence is deafening from him! I wonder is it anything to do with his ex wife (herself a TD in Carlow Kilkenny!) and kids living in Kilkenny?

If he was half as aggressive on this subject as he was when challenging Willie Donnally in the public accounts committee we might have some chance!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/sale-of-spinout-company-raises-concerns-over-confict-of-interest-1.3029607

You would nearly wonder does he want anything to do with a University in Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

has David cullinane come out anywhere on this? He claims to be Waterfords champion - and his vote would certainly indicate he is, but in the name of god this is the biggest issue in a lifetime and no word! Or at least maybe i missed it, am on shift all week so quite possible!!

The silence is deafening from him! I wonder is it anything to do with his ex wife and kids living in Kilkenny?

If he was half as aggressive on this subject as he was when challenging Willie Donnally in the public accounts committee we might have some chance!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/sale-of-spinout-company-raises-concerns-over-confict-of-interest-1.3029607

You would nearly wonder does he want anything to do with a University in Waterford

I believe he lives in Kilkenny.

Advertisement