Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Cornell....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Open letter to Chris Cornell:
    Dear Chris,
    I am a budding musician and i come to seek advice and guidance.

I am currently in this really successful band, we've been going for several years now, developed a cult following even before we got our mainstream success and to be quite honest. Things really couldn't get better.

However i find myself going soft in my old age, this loud noise is getting too much for me, and i'm really considering quitting the band to become a full time jackass. Is this the right career decision for me?

Help me Obi Wan Cornell, you are my only hope.
    Yours Sincerely,
    Shawn Cornelius Raven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

The new stuff sounds better than the old rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    However i find myself going soft in my old age, this loud noise is getting too much for me, and i'm really considering quitting the band to become a full time jackass. Is this the right career decision for me?

This sort of attitude is starting to get to me. When did we as fans start feeling so fcking entitled all the time? He's a singer... you like his stuff, you buy it/listen to it. You don't like it, meh, move on with your life. The guy doesn't *owe* you anything, and he's not *obliged* to do what you expect, or want him to do. A change of artistic direction doesn't invalidate what he did before, nor should it affect your life in any significant way.

It's almost as if people are starting to define themselves in reflection of the artists they follow and feel they're being cheated out of a piece of themselves if said artist does something they don't like. Get over it.

This sort of attitude is starting to get to me. When did we as fans start feeling so fcking entitled all the time? He's a singer... you like his stuff, you buy it/listen to it. You don't like it, meh, move on with your life. The guy doesn't *owe* you anything, and he's not *obliged* to do what you expect, or want him to do. A change of artistic direction doesn't invalidate what he did before, nor should it affect your life in any significant way.

It's almost as if people are starting to define themselves in reflection of the artists they follow and feel they're being cheated out of a piece of themselves if said artist does something they don't like. Get over it.

:rolleyes:
    Take one Oxford English Dictionary, and look up the word joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

O Rly?

I wasn't getting at you, I was making a point about music fans in general. Fans are starting to get vitriolic if their favoured artist does something they don't agree with, goes in a direction they don't approve of, or works with someone they don't like. We don't own artists, and they don't owe us anything.

• Advertisement

O Rly?

I wasn't getting at you, I was making a point about music fans in general. Fans are starting to get vitriolic if their favoured artist does something they don't agree with, goes in a direction they don't approve of, or works with someone they don't like. We don't own artists, and they don't owe us anything.

Fans don't own artists, however they play quite a big part in their success. By changing musical directions so drastically, fans will turn at the drop of the dime. Sadly that's one of humankinds many errors, if you're looking for perfection, best find robots or cyborgs, and even then you might still come up with a turkey.

If you change musical direction at the drop of a hat, you run the risk of alienating your current fans and not succeeding to gain replacements.

Good example of this was Def Leppard, who pretty mich hit their peak between 87-92. After 2 compilation albums they released Slang in 1996, which was a lot more of a grittier grungier album with some tracks even having an Industrial feel to it. Suffice to say, it wasn't quite the album their longtime fans waited four years for. The majority of their fans rejected it, this country in particular as it would be the last time they'd played the point after only half filling it. They tried to bounce back again to their more familiar sound in 1999 with Euphoria, but it was too late. The damage was done and their career never fully recovered since.

That's the problem with fans, you can please some of them some of the time, but they're never all pleased all of the time. Sadly, that's entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Spoonman, literally

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Guys, seriously. Its called musical diversity. I love his new Album just as much as I loved every other thing he ever did, and I have all his albums, singles, soundgarden temple of the dog audioslave the lot!!! I love Ground Zero, its so catchy! And Long Gone is lovely too, And part of me is just addictive!!!

I think its unfair to hate Chris nowbecause he is experimenting with other things. :P The guy sure has talent if he can be a rock god and then be all hip-hop at the same time! Kudos to him, what a talented and amazing musician!!!

Advertisement