Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ... phoneline into the house is cut

Options
  • 26-09-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hi,

While doing some redecorating i had to cut the phone line that lead to my router in another room, I cut the cable and have to figure out how i can get a new one as ive just ordered a new broadband package.

So just to clarify, the cable comes into the house, into a little white eircom box, and then from there onwards there's just a little stump of a wire, so i need to buy a cable i presume and then the thing that the cable goes into so a phone or isdn line or whatever goes into it. and then i can set up the router again.

Are these the sort of things i can pick up in say maplins? and if so, what exactly do i need!? i dont know the names of these things!

Hope you can offer some advice!
    many thanks

(p.s. also posted this in the nets and comms board but not sure which is more relevant.. admins feel free to delete/move whichever one)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kevcon1974

hi there

where are you living as i do phone line repairs as well as computer repairs. are you in dublin if so then email the details on the following website snip!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kevcon1974 banned for two weeks for pimping business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

OP, can you take a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

Hi all,

pic attached as requested.
    phoneline.jpg

hope you can help.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

That pic seems to have problems loading - it seems to get about half way there and then fail (at least for me).

Perhaps you could re-upload it to something like http://www.imageshack.us/ or http://www.tinypic.com/ ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've uploaded the ops pic to imageshack....
    phonelinenr4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've uploaded the ops pic to imageshack....
    phonelinenr4.jpg

thanks for that... seems my server is down (AGAIN...bah register365)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Looks like normal telephone wire to me (4 wire, 2 twisted pairs), you can pick it up in most places that sell electronic goods (not Tescos or anything). Maplins should be all right, cheap enough stuff too. CAT3 is the cable designation if I'm not mistaken.

For a DIY job, You'll need a crimp and an RJ11 too (RJ11 is the plastic end connector that goes into the back or your router). I've no RJ11's but if I did I'd have asked you to measure the length you need and sent one for the price of postage (not pimping bizniz, I don't run one :D)

Usually what happens is that wire would run into the back of an RJ11 telephone wall socket, then you get your normal telephone cable from the wall socket to the splitter (1 wire in, 2 out with one going to the router and the other to a phone), or maybe even just a router if you've no phone or some other type of setup. By running the white wire into a telephone wall socket, this allows you to run your own wires from the back of the wall socket to another telephone socket, and another and another, effectively creating a "ring" of telephone points running off the same line (just like with normal house lights). But if you've only got the one socket, and are running cordless phones from the splitter or something, then just purchase a regular telephone cord, cut off one of the end connectors, crack open the white box, wire it up like you see the current wire is and connect the one remaining plastic connector into the line splitter attached to your router :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Much clearer :)

I had a similar setup not so long ago, except without the white box. I was able to buy a junction box, that looks suspiciously like the one in Solair's post, for about €3 in my local Arro and was able to use JohnnieM's instructions to connect it up. Works a treat.

I would take off the white box and hook up a wall mounted junction box.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Maybe you could just report your bb as non-operable - to the company that you have your broadband package - say you think theres a problem with the cable in the house - you would'nt be telling any lies !

• Advertisement
Advertisement