Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AotM 2: Albert Ayler Trio: Spritual Unity/Michael Garrick Trio: Moonscape LP

• 26-09-2008 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Right, so two trio records to discuss this month. It will definitely be interesting to contrast how these two albums sound.

Btw the general rule that I'm instating is that if you nominate it, you gotta write the blurb for your album of choice. So to get the ball rolling, Rigsby and nlgbbbblth, why did you nominate these albums? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

This was the first album to be recorded on "ESP Disk". It was recorded in 1964 but was only released in 1976. To me this album just screams "FREEDOM". Ayler takes a simple melody, pushes and pulls it every which way while still referring back to it from time to time before reeling it in and finally resolving it. To these ears a feeling of happiness and playfulness is also conveyed. Throughout the sheer power and intensity of this music, the telepathy between the three musicians is evident, not to mention the control. I have played this album many times down the years, and each time, I discover something new. It's ageless and always sounds fresh and airy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

There's a great celebratory feel to the recording, very spiritual indeed. It's not as dense as Ascension or any of the other free-blowing classics, it's actually quite airy and "spacious" in a way despite the harsh tones.

And speaking of tone, what's your opinion of Ayler's? I like it, instantly identifiable I think. I read somewhere that he used super-hard plastic reeds to help him get that level of vibrato in his playing.

Why was it only released in 1976? I presume the usual jazz label politics?
    To put 1964 in perspective of jazz history: pre A Love Supreme and Coltrane's big group free jazz album Ascension; Miles Davis was beginning to make his 2nd comeback with his 1960s group (with Carter, Williams, Hancock and Shorter); Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch was released a few months before his untimely death in summer 64; Pharoah Sanders begins recording for ESP also; Hill's Point of Departure recorded for bluenote.

A lot happening with free jazz actually, 64 for free jazz is to 1959 for hardbop in terms of classic albums.

There is no reason given that I can see as to why it was only realeased in 1976. Presumably it was put on the back burner and forgotten about. Yes, Ayler's sound is instantly recognisable. I know Charlie Parker used the hard plastic reeds to get his tone ( any who tried, could hardly get a note from his sax as a result :D ). Not sure if Ayler adopted the same method, maybe you are right in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Rigsby wrote: »
    There is no reason given that I can see as to why it was only realeased in 1976. Presumably it was put on the back burner and forgotten about. Yes, Ayler's sound is instantly recognisable. I know Charlie Parker used the hard plastic reeds to get his tone ( any who tried, could hardly get a note from his sax as a result :D ). Not sure if Ayler adopted the same method, maybe you are right in this.

What is the line up and what style of music is it? I will buy it but can you give a brief overview. He is new to me.

Desmo wrote: »
    What is the line up and what style of music is it? I will buy it but can you give a brief overview. He is new to me.

There's a brief history of Ayler's life here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Ayler#Early_life_and_career

"Spiritual Unity" may not be to every one's taste as it is a "free jazz" album, albeit a spacious and airy one compared to some. The story goes that the recording engineer thought the musicians were warming up when they were actually playing :D

The line up is Ayler sax, Gary Peacock bass and Sunny Murray drums. The tracks are "Ghosts" (1st variation), "The Wizzard", "Spirits", "Ghosts" (2nd variation). Alas, there is very little recorded material of Ayler on "You Tube", but there are one or two which gives an taste of this great man's music.

• Advertisement

The actual melody of Ghosts is quite gospel-blues sounding isn't it? It's a very intense and free album but the blues are never far away from what's being played at any one time.

Some critics seem to read this as a barebones re-playing of the blues - as in only the basics of the blues tradition remain: field cries, call-and-response, blues rhythms etc. I think maybe that's what gives the record its power and spiritual sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Have to admit i've never heard of him (along with a innumerous number of great jazz musicians) but heck if Dolphy reputedly said that he's the best players he has ever seen then i'm gonna check him out, though i really should get into some of those other Dolphy albums i got recently.

As for free jazz and the blues, if you look at Charles Lloyd, Haden and of course Coleman you see that they're all firmly rooted in the blues, even if they fairly leave these roots and go soaring from time to time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Couldn't find the Ayler album the last two weeks in Dublin (Tower must be sold out) but I bought another album (Music is the Healing Force of the Universe) and it's mental. In a good way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Apologies for the delay.

Moonscape has fascinated me for years.

Part of the myth was its sheer rarity. 99 copies pressed on 10" back in 1964. Sometime in late 1995 I was given a third generation cassette copy from an acquaintance. I played it lots.

It's six tracks of piano, bass and drums. Floating, almost airborne lunar jazz - apt sleeve.

The pieces are very melodic in an almost rigid structure but yet the free form spirit abounds. The record plays like an arc. The era is the 'new sound of jazz' and it's bloody marvellous. I will never get those piano tones out of my head.

Released on Trunk Records. LP and CD.

And here was me wondering why it was so hard to track down :rolleyes: Is it that kind of tempoless ambient (in a good way) ECM piano trio jazz? Are there any good reissues of the record?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Daddio wrote: »
    And here was me wondering why it was so hard to track down :rolleyes: Is it that kind of tempoless ambient (in a good way) ECM piano trio jazz? Are there any good reissues of the record?

It was re-released by Trunk Records on LP and CD last year.

The LP is long sold out [500 pressed] but the CD is still available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moonscape-Michael-Garrick/dp/B000PMFNNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223809012&sr=8-1

Kinda has an ECM vibe.

Advertisement