Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tab symbols

Options
  • 26-09-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a quick bit of help on reading tab. I know the basics, but I'm not quite sure what the /5 and (8) mean in the below. I'm guessing it's bend and wobble, but can anyone tell me for definite?
    Thanks

b----5-8-/5-(8)-/5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

/5 is a slide up to the fifth fret.
    (8) indicates a ghost note at the 8th fret.

Although sometimes brackets () are used in the context of a bent note, to show the intended pitch.

Homemade typed tab is a load of crap tbh, you should stick to printed music, or Powertab type stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

Get guitar pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Indeed, guitar pro all the way !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Another vote for Guitar Pro here! Being able to hear what the tab writer intended the music to sound like is very, very useful.

I actually can't remember the last time I looked at a text-based guitar tab file.

Advertisement