Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

• 26-09-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm having a little trouble booting up my computer due to the above error. I've been trying to implement the registery fix as per the MS workaround. However, on the very 1st step highlighted below I get the message: the file could not be copied. The Software, Sam, Security and Default sections copy no problem.
    At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
    md tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

Is it possible to skip copying the system floder and start the second stage (see below) without damaging the computer further?

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Slightly different approach here....http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Thanks for the tip. I actually tried following the MS fix in the end.

Just in case anybody has similar problems in the future, I was able to get around the problem by first running chkdsk /r before hand. This found a bad sector, repaired it and I was then able to copy the file thereafter.

Advertisement