Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wheels for Commuting Road Bike

Options
  • 26-09-2008 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am looking to get a new set of wheels for my commuter road bike, although the cheaper the better, I will spend more if it means reliable set of wheels.

The front wheel on it is fine, so the first question is, is it better to order a set or to just buy a back wheel and then get a front wheel after. My budget is 70 - 150 Euros.

The bike is a http://www.troc-athlete.com/F_grp_11_13-1.html]Sunn Motive Neo '07.

Second question is, in terms of fitting it, I know i need a special tool for removing the back cassette, I figured I'd just ask a bike shop to do it for me. Do I need a special tool to put it on to the new wheel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can often get a pair of wheels ("wheelset") for a slight bit of a discount over buying separately but for a commuter bike I would just replace what needs replacing; my own commuter has not had matching wheels for a very long time; on the third rear and the second front. The only issue is aesthetics, there is no functional one.

To change the cassette over you will need a chain whip and a lockring tool but if you buy from a bike shop they will do this for you, maybe for a small charge.

I have a pair of Bontrager Select wheels off a Trek 5000 which may suit you either, come with Race Lite tyres and tubes as an option (currently on them) and a 105 10sp 12-25 cassette for that matter, was looking for €90 for the pair as there is a bit of wear to the front braking surface (around a year's worth.) Bomb-proof wheels and rear is mint though! I would give my best attempt at swapping your cassette over too, I have the aforementioned tools :D

Advertisement