Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Band 2 out in November?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Finally :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Nice.

Is the general consensus that GHWT drums are the better ones? They seem far and away superior to the RB ones, although I've not seen/heard much of the new RB ones (although I thought they were more or less the same).

I might go GHWT band bundle, then RB2 solus. Should be a few fun get togethers for these :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

AWE-SOME!
    Gaming is gonna leave me flat broke in the month of November though :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just when I thought gaming season was going to calm down, they come along and announce this.

Lets hope Mirrors Edge turns out to be crap then :( Otherwise the 14th will be a money drainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Nice.

Is the general consensus that GHWT drums are the better ones? They seem far and away superior to the RB ones, although I've not seen/heard much of the new RB ones (although I thought they were more or less the same).

They're quieter, and people say they feel more natural, but a lot of people seem to be havign sensitivity issues with some of the earlier production run models, similar to what happened with the Rock Band launch, also the IGN review said that the pedal slide around a lot for him, at one stage even ending up sideways, as there's no central bar for it to latch on to a la the RB set.

I'm sticking with Rock Band 2 anyway, it's winging it's way over from the US as I type, can't freakin' wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

ya, will be getting Rock Band 2 now instead of GH:WT....

RB2 will probably be the only game i will playing for november and december...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

the drum set might be better on GHWT but the drum gameplay is better on RB. The drum patterns on GHWT seem boring. Hard to explain. Anyway RB 1 is still better than GHWT in my eyes, and I've got both.

you've got GH:WT already?

How does it compare to past GH games?

Ya I got the US version. Its region free. Just the game, I have the rockband drums and GH2 and GH3 guitars.
    Its more or less the same as GH3. The rockband drums work in the game, but not in practice mode. I prefer Rockband druming to GHWT, I like the fills in Rockband, and they aren't in GHWT. Finger tapping is the latest feature in GHWT, but its more or less the same as the hammer on sections in GH3. You get to go head to head with legends again. But instead of power up battles its straight who's best not who can get the power ups.
    a better spread of tracks from pop rock to hard metal than GH3.
    But like previous games they grow on me.
    But Rockband still my fav due to the WHO Dlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

I also have RB2 and GH:WT... I don't have the new controllers though.. Just old GH3 guitar and RB1 drums/strat. I will wait for reviews and availability here before I buy newer ones... From what I heard, they aren't that much better to warrant dumping old ones for new ones.

I do want to mention a few things to people before they buy RB2 though. I'm not trying to influence anyone here, but because I've had the game about 2 months now, I would like to share my thoughts. It's an expensive game and I wouldn't like anyone to spend money on it if it's not what they will enjoy.

RB2 does not have a mode anymore where you can just play through all the songs singly. It has a "Band World Tour" Mode which is pretty much the Band Career Mode from RB1. The difference is that you can play it 1 player, and there's different "challenges" pop up in each location EVERY DAY. (for example, there's an "accent" challenge in Dublin at the moment.. which is basically sing 2 songs with strong accents on them. One is Cool for Cats, and I can't remember the other. Rules are that it must be signing).

You can import all your songs from RB1 exept for 3 of them. The way to do this is by putting in your RB1 disc. Downloading the update when the game loads up (if you don't already have it), and then in the options theres a thing that says "export songs". It asks you to pay 400msp and then it saves them to individual files on your hard drive.

There is a new "Challenge" mode on RB2 where you play through challenges. Basically this means that you need to play these 5 songs on guitar, and get ranked online, OR play those 3 songs on vocals (and get ranked online), etc, etc. Some of the rules are that you need 2+ members in your band. Some force you to certain instruments, etc. This is the quickest way to unlock all 84 songs... If you play only certain challenges... (see rockband.scorehero.com for more specifics).

Remember how Talky Parts were a bit broken on some songs in RB1? Well, they've broken it in a completely opposite way now... If you put the mic sensitivity up max, and hold your mic against a fan or a radio, it will give you "awesome" for all talky parts... Good for singing, but makes it easier. Also, means you choose beastie boys for your 100% expert singing achievement. (also Gold Star achievement).

So, there are 84 songs after you unlock them all... You can also import 54 of your old RB1 songs (after paying 400msp), and all your old DLC will work..... There are also 20 FREE songs given to you as a code on the back of the RB2 booklet. The idea is that you register and they send you a download code when it's "ready". This is not out yet and a lot of americans are complaining about it :P

My biggest gripe about RB2 is that they have released (in US a few days ago), the AC/DC game... This is a separate RB game purely with AC/DC songs on it... You can import them to your normal RB2, but it's their way of getting more money. I don't mind this as such, but that was one of the big things I liked about RB is that they gave full albums online instead of releasing separate add-on discs :/<clicky>

Mostly though, the game is very similar to RB1. When you create a character, it can play any instrument. You can save your progress half the way through a challenge (list of songs), but I haven't seen a way to do it in career gigs. You can't switch your instrument between songs as easily as they say. There is a "feature" in the game where it you play a 3 song gig on guitar or something and it says "Hey.. Would you like to play the last song on Drums? If so, you'll get more fans or whatever". Anyway... It is still linked to your Gamerprofile, so if you are signed in as you on the drumset, you will need to sign out of that, and onto another instrument, thus quitting out and back into your band. It is a lot better the way it works in the menus and I didn't have as much frustration with it. I think they could have done better though. (or maybe it wasn't obvious how to do some things).

They have added some sort of hyperspeed mode if you like the speedups from GH3.

The Drum & Fill Trainer is very good and fun. It could be a whole lot more in-depth in my opinion though as there are only a set amount of patterns you can go through with varying difficulties, but there are a huge amount of possible patterns I would like to have seen in there. Surely it would only have taken them and hour to add hundreds more patterns :( or even have program in your own patterns. They do have a freestyle mode which is basically bash the drums anyway you like and it doesn't care.... it's not the same though. The point of the drum trainer is to give you a common drum pattern and keep repeating it so that you get good at it... You can change the BPM and it's just a good idea in general. However, there are only 73 or so patterns in total :( There could have been thousands.. I would like to have seen more drum roll combinations (eg, like Run to the Hills) and more common rudiments. Where's the Paradiddles, Dragadiddles, Pataflaflas and Ratamacues? (lol I'm not making these up)

Bleh.. Great game, but is VERY similar to RB1. Not sure if it's worth buying a whole new set if you already have the first one...

• Advertisement

Cheers Cully, I am definietly getting RB2 anyways...

Will trade in my old drums for the new RB2 drums if i get a good price, i have read that the GHWT drums are worse for missing beats than the RB1 drums and the cymbols keep loosening...think it was the game trailers review that mentioned problems wiht the WT drums...

The Ion drumset that's pretty damn awesome is not available to europe.. That much sucks. drumrocker

So... I would recommend do some research before buying the RB2 drumset.. Make sure it's not shoddy... I've gone through 2 sets of RB1 drums already.

RB2 is totally worth it though... especially if you get together in groups.

I was playing some versus last night and went toe to toe with this guy on expert drums.... it got to 5-5 and then I lost 7-5 :( although in fairness, I did something stupid on one and deserved to lose. The other I just lost by a small margin.

Anyway.. the online thing is muchly improved... if you use that part of it.

Cully wrote: »
    My biggest gripe about RB2 is that they have released (in US a few days ago), the AC/DC game... This is a separate RB game purely with AC/DC songs on it... You can import them to your normal RB2, but it's their way of getting more money. I don't mind this as such, but that was one of the big things I liked about RB is that they gave full albums online instead of releasing separate add-on discs :/<clicky>

In fairness,it's not harmonix's fault.They had to do this because ac/dc have an exclusive deal with best buy so it couldn't be sold online.
    Cully wrote:
    The Ion drumset that's pretty damn awesome is not available to europe.. That much sucks. drumrocker

So... I would recommend do some research before buying the RB2 drumset.. Make sure it's not shoddy... I've gone through 2 sets of RB1 drums already.

RB2 is totally worth it though... especially if you get together in groups.

I was playing some versus last night and went toe to toe with this guy on expert drums.... it got to 5-5 and then I lost 7-5 although in fairness, I did something stupid on one and deserved to lose. The other I just lost by a small margin.

Anyway.. the online thing is muchly improved... if you use that part of it.

It's also worth mention that if you have a real elctronic drum set you can plug it into the midi port on the gh:wt drums and use it to play gh and rock band without having to mod your drums :eek:

In fairness,it's not harmonix's fault.They had to do this because ac/dc have an exclusive deal with best buy so it couldn't be sold online.

Yep I read something like that, so I won't think bad of harmonix because of it... too many companies involved in making such things.. one's bound to muck it up.
    It's also worth mention that if you have a real elctronic drum set you can plug it into the midi port on the gh:wt drums and use it to play gh and rock band without having to mod your drums :eek:

I can't tell for GH:WT, but for Rock Band, I'm pretty sure you can't just plug in a midi electronic drumset and it just works automatically. How does it know which is blue, yellow, etc...

I read something on rockband.scorehero.com about it... I'm pretty sure the top rock band drummer (arguably) in the world had to mod his midi drumset for it. look up someguy913 I think his name is.

If I could buy any midi drumset then that would be seriously awesome and I'd do it as soon as I could get the cash. I wish most of the net wasn't blocked at my work... I'll be googling a lot tonight.

Well RB1 if you ask me is a better music game than GHWT. And can't wait to get RB2. I'll stick with my RB1 drums, GH2 guitar for bass, and GH3 les paul for Lead. At the moment using crap headset for mic, but getting lips for the misses so hopefully the Mics will work with RB.

GHWT is more of a game played for score and super hard guitar playing. But for me rockband is more about the music and enjoyment. And the controls just seem tighter. GHWT goes for the crazy venues and characters where Rock band goes for the more realistic approach.

But I do enjoy both games, well I have them all on the 360, GH2, GH3, GH aerosmith, GH 1 +80's custom disc, and of course Rock band. But still find I play Rock band a lot more than the others. Also the WHO dlc is on Rock band.

I can't tell for GH:WT, but for Rock Band, I'm pretty sure you can't just plug in a midi electronic drumset and it just works automatically. How does it know which is blue, yellow, etc...

I read something on rockband.scorehero.com about it... I'm pretty sure the top rock band drummer (arguably) in the world had to mod his midi drumset for it. look up someguy913 I think his name is.

If I could buy any midi drumset then that would be seriously awesome and I'd do it as soon as I could get the cash. I wish most of the net wasn't blocked at my work... I'll be googling a lot tonight.

Yeah I know about the modded drumsets by someguy and phr3ak but the wt drums have a midi socket so you can plug in your real drums and use them.
    After looking online I'm not too sure if it'll work with rock band too but i'll ask around.

Rock Band is the only one I'm really interested in at the mo... I have over 500 songs now on that and I've spent a lot of money, so I don't want to go back to only having a few songs (eg, GHWT)

I'll check again - thx

Rock Band is the only one I'm really interested in at the mo... I have over 500 songs now on that and I've spent a lot of money, so I don't want to go back to only having a few songs (eg, GHWT)

I'll check again - thx

yeah it works on rock band http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80685

I'll check again - thx
    You've over 500 songs on rock band tracks???? !!!!

Where did you get your last 100 from. Got an e-mail from them yesterday saying they have reached the 400 track mile stone and are on target for 500 before Xmas.

Below are a few bits cut from Rock Band 2 reviews about the new drums:

The $90 price tag is difficult to swallow for casual drummers, but if you consider yourself an expert (or even if you just play a lot of drums in Rock Band) the improved sensitivity and quieter pads are worth the cash. It's anyone's guess as to how well they'll hold up from a reliability standpoint, but so far we haven't had any issues to report.

Rock Band 2 has not only improved its gameplay but the quality of its instruments as well. If you have the spare cash, I would absolutely think about upgrading your drum kit. The wireless factor and expandability is a huge feature alone.

The drums, on the other hand, may just be worth the $89.99 price tag. Though from the same mold as the original, the drums are wireless and much quieter than before. The pads are velocity sensitive, measuring the speed and force used to hit the pads. During fills, hitting a pad softer creates quieter sounds. And the drum more accurately counts hits. The pedal, which broke for many people last year, is now metal and should be impervious to destruction.

Sounds good to me, when RB2 comes out, i will try trade my old drums in for the new ones...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I didn't like the fact in Rockband you couldn't keep track of your scores, so you really didn't know whether you were improving or not. I hope they have this sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I imported Rock Band 2 and it is outstanding, gameplay-wise not much is different, there's no huge changes, just loads of small ones and new modes, single player has more depth than even full band mode did in RB1. It all adds up to a really damn solid game. Some great new touches. Battle of the Bands mode is great. Single player is now the world tour mode and the staff members you hire actualy have an effect on the game, like one will get you more fans per gig, but less money and another vice-versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Dime101

Rockband is for noobs.Its too easy in comparison to guitar hero.

World tour is where its at.

Dime101 wrote: »
    Rockband is for noobs.Its too easy in comparison to guitar hero.

World tour is where its at.

So have you even played either game. Doesn't sound like it to me. Rock band isn't a guitar game, try playing the drums on expert and see how much of a noob game it is. Guitar hero is good, world tour isn't half the game Rockband is. And reviews say the same.
    GH is extremely hard on Expert on later sets thats about it.
    Rockband is about a group of people playing music together, GH is about score.

ROC1977 wrote: »
    So have you even played either game. Doesn't sound like it to me. Rock band isn't a guitar game, try playing the drums on expert and see how much of a noob game it is. Guitar hero is good, world tour isn't half the game Rockband is. And reviews say the same.
    GH is extremely hard on Expert on later sets thats about it.
    Rockband is about a group of people playing music together, GH is about score.

+1

I couldnt agree more...

I got Guitar hero world tour, and it is good and i like it, definitely better than GH3, but its no Rock Band.

When Rock Band 2 comes out, i dont see myself playing GHWT again for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

If i buy rockband 2 (new instruments and game) from the states will it work on the xbox 360 over here?

For approx. €175 you can get the whole lot dropped to your door within a couple of days. Its a deal i seen on gamestop.com.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not region free, I'm afraid.... thats why people were so up-in-arms when there was a 6 month delay between the US and EU release of RB1.

The instruments will work but not the game. All EA games apart from Tigerwoods 09 are region locked. Its out here in a couple of weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭xbox gamer

Thanks for that. I'm very keen on getting rock band 2 but i want to get the new instruments, due to the problems with the original set and the durability of the new ones. Is it worth the wait to get the instruments? All i have heard is that they're out in december and i didn't hear a rough price either.

• Advertisement

I don't trust it... A lot have said it doesn't work... although I'll check out the T12
    ROC1977 wrote: »
    You've over 500 songs on rock band tracks???? !!!!

Where did you get your last 100 from. Got an e-mail from them yesterday saying they have reached the 400 track mile stone and are on target for 500 before Xmas.

Ok ok... I had a check and it's only something like 455.... The last 55 I haven't imported from RB1 yet, and I can't get the AC/DC ones yet because it's only out in US, but I will have that soon.
    I didn't like the fact in Rockband you couldn't keep track of your scores, so you really didn't know whether you were improving or not. I hope they have this sorted out.

Nope... I think it's worse in RB2... They show your best score for the song... regardless of drums/guitar/vocals.... You have to go into the painfull high scores thing online to find your actual score.
    xbox gamer wrote: »
    If i buy rockband 2 (new instruments and game) from the states will it work on the xbox 360 over here?

For approx. €175 you can get the whole lot dropped to your door within a couple of days. Its a deal i seen on gamestop.com.

Any thoughts?

No... and that's why I bought a US xbox aswell.

Advertisement