Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking ticket question

Options
  • 26-09-2008 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hope someone can be of help with this:

Received a letter from the town council saying i was parked illegally and owed them €40 etc etc.

First thing here i nor my car was anywhere near the place they said i was supposed to be.
    I contacted them but they said i had to pay it as the traffic warden did not make mistakes:rolleyes:
    Anyway i contacted a local politican and eventually the council agreed to drop it,i have this in writing from the council.

Now,almost a year later i have received a court summons for non-payment of this ticket.
    There is no way in the world i am paying any fine.
    I am fuming with the council and feel like sueing them!

What can happen/any advise please?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

get on to local politican again, try consumerconnect.ie and see if they can advise you/alternatively contact citizens advice bureau - chances are this was just in process from initial letter and is a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

victor1 wrote: »
    get on to local politican again, try consumerconnect.ie and see if they can advise you/alternatively contact citizens advice bureau - chances are this was just in process from initial letter and is a mistake

Thanks victor.:)

Do you think its worth trying to sue them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Sue them?! For what?

You have a letter proving the council agreed not to fine you. You have to appear in court with that letter unless otherwise instructed.

fluffer wrote: »
    Sue them?! For what?

You have a letter proving the council agreed not to fine you. You have to appear in court with that letter unless otherwise instructed.

Whatabout travel expenses,loss of earnings for appearing in court??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ureds wrote: »
    Whatabout travel expenses,loss of earnings for appearing in court??

Ask the judge and see what he says :)

The thing is the alleged incident happened over 200 miles away from my home so its a full day out to prove what an ass that particular council is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

Did they have a photo of your car?? Heard of this scam on ''The real Hussle'' Just a thought it could be a scam.

tiredmam wrote: »
    Did they have a photo of your car?? Heard of this scam on ''The real Hussle'' Just a thought it could be a scam.

No photo but the ticket was issued by the town council.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you're entitled to expenses especially in light of frivolous cases where a settlement has already been reached (you kept the council's letter, right?), and that settlement is then subsequently breached.

In fact, you have case for breach of contract.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    you're entitled to expenses especially in light of frivolous cases where a settlement has already been reached (you kept the council's letter, right?), and that settlement is then subsequently breached.

In fact, you have case for breach of contract.......

Would you advise getting in touch with a solicitor then and if so will the council have to pay whatever my solicitor costs?

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

OP, have you contacted the Council directly on the matter.

A phone call, or better still, a copy of their letter should be sent to them.

Should be the end of the matter!

joebre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

Just ring the council involved, eat the head of the person you get and fax them the letter, they will drop the case

i should know i work in one and from time to time i have being involved in the IT side of thngs for the traffic fines, they won't contest

Advertisement