Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graphics Issues in Windows Vista

• 26-09-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

I have a Compaq Presario f560em with a geForce 6100 go graphics card in it, other specs are a turion tk-53 processor and 2gb of ram.

The problem I have is the really poor graphics performance I am getting. I know the 6100 isn't exactly a powerhouse but it cant even run Peggle without dog low frame rates.

When I am logging in, then screen goes black for 3 or 5 seconds before showing up the windows environment. The screen also does this
    when I press ctrl-alt-del and the screen is going to the green screen again.

I have the latest drivers available from the compaq site, from february 4th of this year. They are version 7.15.11.6743.

I cant get drivers for it directly from the nvidia site, because of customisation of the drivers for the laptop.

Any ideas or help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have you aero enabled? Doubt a 6100 would be powerful enough for the Vista aero features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I do, and it is. It does most of the aero stuff fine. Moving windos and teh winkey + tab think works quite quickly.

But will it run aero and the game together? The aero features will be running in the background unless you disable them. You do undersatnd that being a 6100, its the bottom of the pile in the six series range, 6800 being the highest? 6 series is 3-4 yrs old now, latest nVidia's being the 9 series.

It doesn't have any integrated memory, but uses a part of the main memory

I don't think it does. The problem is still there when aero is turned off. AS a matter of interest could you point me to where you found that graphics cards are rendering OS stuff even when it isnt on screen?

The problems are either a driver or a vista issue. I am not expecting any miracles from the card, it would just be nice if it did what it should be able to.

Its an integrated graphics chip, it doesn't have its own memory but shares the system memory............and when this system memory is used up.......like running Vista and running a game well then there's nothing left for the graphics to share

See here

• Advertisement

Look, I appreciate you want to help. But the card IS able to render vista fine, and until I see a reliable source say otherwise, graphics cards do not render anything that's not on screen at the time. This is backed up by the fact that when I switch to basic, performance in simple games doesn't change. And more importantly, either does switching between splash screens.

If anyone has any idea if there is a way of ficing this I would appreciate it.

It also known that Nvidia are dropping support for older graphics under Vista. I've a friend tried & failed to get a Geforce 5300 run under Vista, even with Vista running in classic mode, he was constantly getting artifacts, glitches and freezing when it ran fine on Xp and linux. The 5 series isn't supported at all in their latest Vista drivers, its not uncommon for them to make certain graphics run badly hoping you'll be forced in2 an upgrade.

Advertisement