Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 delaying new album until 2009

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Never get the Irish slagging off Lizzy either.
    You know.
    Cos they are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dave5

It'll probably sound like pretty much everything they ever did bar 2 albums.
    With respect Neil, that's a pretty niaive statement to make. U2 can't be accused of that at all, you must be joking mate. They've changed the sound of their albums regularly. Here's some examples:

Live Albums: Under a Blood Red Sky, Rattle and Hum

Rock Albums: Boy, October, War, Under a Blood Red Sky.

Experimental Albums: The Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop.

Rock/Pop Albums: All That You Can't Leave Behind, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dave5

Xavi6 wrote: »
    tax dodgin bastards.......?
    This is the type of post that i find infuriating. U2 moved their tax affairs? So what?...as another poster has rightly said, they're certainly not the first band to do this and believe me they won't be the last.

.....I was talking to a friend of mind who's involved in the music business when this was announced and he assured me that some of the 'business/dodgy dealings' that other well-know bands are involved in, makes U2 look like saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

jazoo wrote: »
    You dont have to buy the new album if you dont like them.The choice is yours but their worldwide album and ticket sales speaks for itself.Irish bergrudgers,you never here the brits slag off the beatles or the stones or the who.The personality of the band members should not get in the way of the music which at the end of the day is what its all about.Im not a big Bono fan but i like the music, and if i had their money i would be a tax dodger as well

I agree. Im not the biggest fan of bono but I love U2's music. Achtung baby and pop are 2 of my all time favourite albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Matt3

I agree. Im not the biggest fan of bono but I love U2's music. Achtung baby and pop are 2 of my all time favourite albums
    I agree.

Achtung Baby is a masterpiece, probably one of the greatest albums of all time.

Pop is excellent, probably one of the most under-rated albums of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

'Achtung Baby' is a brilliant album. Put it in context. They were huge with 'The Joshua Tree' then were critically panned with 'Rattle and Hum'. Then they came out with a totally different souding album. No big band has done this since then. It takes a serious amount of balls to change your sound that much as a big band which may alienate your target audience. Coldplay/Oasis/REM never did that. (As much as I like REM and Oasis - these are still the three biggest bands of the last while- I know Radiohead changed hugely but I wouldn't put them up in mega selling status as U2 etc). Listen to 'Zoo Station' - track 1 of 'Achtung Baby' and compare it to any track off 'Rattle and Hum'. It's undeniable progression. Obviously the people who sit at home and listen to seven Metallica albums a day won't see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kevinmcm

I totally agree, U2's body of work is pretty damn impressive. The thing that gets me is that generally people who hate U2's music have just got the worst taste in music. I have high hopes for the new U2 material we hear, hopefully there is another Achtung Baby brewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kevinmcm wrote: »
    I totally agree, U2's body of work is pretty damn impressive. The thing that gets me is that generally people who hate U2's music have just got the worst taste in music. I have high hopes for the new U2 material we hear, hopefully there is another Achtung Baby brewing!

Lol I strongly disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Never get the Irish slagging off Lizzy either.

Odd, considering he was born in Birmingham, and the Irish love to slag the English at any given opportunity...

Back on the subject, i really hope the band get their thumbs out of their ass. I'm a big U2 fan, but they really haven't done a lot worthwhile in my honest opinion since Zooropa. Pop was dire and ATYCLB and HTDAAB were good without being great.

Got my hands on the Red Rocks DVD yesterday. Video Quality is no different than the video to be honest, but the extra tracks and a proper sound mix more than makes up for it for 20 squids.

Matt3 wrote: »
    The Unforgettable Fire is excellent, probably one of the most under-rated albums of all time.

I fixed your post there, because Pop had some of the worst lyrics on it. To me, it only had two decent tracks, being If God Will Send His Angels, and Do You Feel Loved, the rest was throwaway junk.

Can't disagree on your sentiments on Achtung Baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The Joshua tree and Achtung baby are two of the best albums of all time imo, and i cant wait for the new album to come out,looking forward to it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I fixed your post there, because Pop had some of the worst lyrics on it. To me, it only had two decent tracks, being If God Will Send His Angels, and Do You Feel Loved, the rest was throwaway junk.

You have got to be kidding...
    What about Gone or Please?

If you don't like them then that's fair enough but dismissing them as throwaway junk is a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

I have to stand up for Pop too - recently got back into it big time.
    The songs mentioned above are all amazing, also 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress'

Like a previous poster, I've found many people can't see past their begrudgery to appreciate U2's brilliance - surely there hasn't been another band who have had such a consistently excellent career? - Even the Beatles made crap albims, and the Stones output has been variable

Glassheart wrote: »
    You have got to be kidding...
    What about Gone or Please?

If you don't like them then that's fair enough but dismissing them as throwaway junk is a bit weird.

Not really, there's a reason the band rarely play them live anymore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Can't disagree on your sentiments on Achtung Baby.

:eek: what about gone?
    My favourite U2 song.

:eek: what about gone?
    My favourite U2 song.

Never rated it.
    I was on the disappointed U2 trip when Pop came out. I like many, had waited four years for an album of new studio material, and while i appreciate what they tried to do with the album, i just couldn't appreciate how it turned out.

Don't get me wrong, some of Bono's best lyrics on that album, Gone included. But the music let the album down rather badly.

Strictly my opinion. But it was an experimental album, and a lot of people were happy once ATYCLB came out so that we had some resemblance of a band without a load of cruddy effects and beeps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 krimson765

this is good news surely.. can it be postponed further.

krimson765 wrote: »
    this is good news surely.. can it be postponed further.

About as much chance of that happening as Pete Doherty dying of an overdose.
    Although i'll buy 10,000 copies of the new U2 album if that happens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Iv never actually sat down and listened to a U2 album let alone buy one.
    Part of me kinda wants to just to see what all the whoha is about but I seriously doubt it'll ever happen.
    Did really like the riff in Vertigo though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement