Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HONEST opinions wanted on a London accent

Options
  • 26-09-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

well im scratching my head, so i thought i would bring this too the board
    of galways finest.. ( you guys!!):)

been living in galway city for 3 months now, off the cappagh road
    my kids go too school fairly central too galway..

my question is about my accent is london, its not common cockney eastenders, its just a english accent with a london tilt too it, i cannot for the life of me work out what the reaction is when i do open my GOB LOL
    i get a amazing reaction i have too say!!
    the eyes get wider and the smiles larger, and if im out with the kids talking too them , people actually turn round too have a good look at the london accent!! lol

i have irish parents and i look A typical galway girl, very long curly black/brown hair and green/ blue eyes, so until i open the GOB the reaction isnt there .

so this reaction is it negative or positive, i cannot work out??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    the irish as poliet people wouldnt give the game away if it is negative..
    and i realise northern ireland and the history etc is still alive and well ( so it should be they need too give ireland back too ireland but wont because of the revenue it creates for the uk, sidetracking sorry)
    so members of the board, what is your conculsion???
    what is your HONEST!! reaction when you hear a english accent??
    a london accent??

i realise theres a surprise factor when i open my gob, as in well she looks irish i wasnt expecting that, but its more than that, and i cannot fathom if its postive or negative, i do REALLY want HONEST answers even if there on the negative side, basically i love this country of my father and fore fathers i love the people, but when i open my gob im not sure if the people are ready too love me back , LOL
    thanks for your opinions and your honesty
    claire:);)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
    Unless it was you who put the lead in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
    Unless it was you who put the lead in the water.

lol me no,, im innocent!! i could be guilty of bringing the cat population up, ( got 4 of them) but lead in water no, not me. thanks for the reply.:pac:

( so it should be they need too give ireland back too ireland but wont because of the revenue it creates for the uk, sidetracking sorry)
    You've got that ****ways.

Apart from that I think it is generally positive. London accents can be quite cheery compared to some others. I guess you don't have some snooty accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

why 'too' instead of 'to'? distracted me!
    I like the London accent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

I'd say it's just surprise, used to get that myself in London, with a Galway one. I love the accent by the way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

No problem with it, some British accents get on my nerves alright but no more so than other Irish accents, wouldn't judge someone on it or anything. For feck sake I'm from Cork, can you get any worse.... bai :)

Ye're all a bunch of langers..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

what is your HONEST!! reaction when you hear a english accent??
    a london accent??
    I think you're asking if people have a positive or negative reaction? A London accent (or pretty much any other foreign accent) doesn't bother me in the slightest once I can understand the person that's talking if they happen to be talking to me.

I play football with a couple of guys from London and often I'll shout something like "Fackin' 'ell geeza', pass the ball!" and I'll get something like "Arra shure will ya ever shag off!" back in return. It's all meant as light-hearted banter (I hope :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

i love the london axcent :)

guys your warming the cockles of me heart !! lol
    i really wasnt sure what the reactions were, cos its not like you can approach someone in a shop or on the street, like hey why are you staring at me when i speak ( little confrontational to say the least)
    i didnt think it was negative, but had too check lol
    aww im so happy now!!! :D:):D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I work in a schoolbookshop in town.

Loads of English accented people heading in, along with Aussies, Eastern Europeans, Chinese, French, Spainish etc.

You'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Maybe its really sexy and they are turned on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I've been told I look Irish despite not having a single bit of Irish heritage. (I do have plenty of Norman heritage though, and so do the Irish)

I think as long as you're pale and have either a pointed face or a wide one, people will say you look Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

London accent is sexy! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

This is a bit of a side-track from the London accent but now that you mention British accents in general...I have a question :confused:

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but do British people tend to leave certain letters out of the pronunciation of certain words, and no, I don't mean silent letters?

My primary example, and something that really really irritates me, is when they pronounce the word "fifth" or "sixth." They seem to pronounce fifth as fith and sixth as sith i.e they leave out the f in fifth and the x in sixth! What is with that? Even newsreaders on Sky News do it. If these words are supposed to be pronounced like this...I won't be irritated anymore, but I'd doubt that they are. Can anyone shed some light on this? It seriously bugs me when I hear it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'm from London originally [lol]too[/lol?] and have been in Galway for just under a year I haven't noticed any negative reactions to my accent other than the standard jokey stuff. Must be something else!! Some people are curious about where I am from because its a bit of a funky accent but nothing else that I have noticed.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but do British people tend to leave certain letters out of the pronunciation of certain words, and no, I don't mean silent letters?

My primary example, and something that really really irritates me, is when they pronounce the word "fifth" or "sixth." They seem to pronounce fifth as fith and sixth as sith i.e they leave out the f in fifth and the x in sixth! What is with that? Even newsreaders on Sky News do it. If these words are supposed to be pronounced like this...I won't be irritated anymore, but I'd doubt that they are. Can anyone shed some light on this? It seriously bugs me when I hear it :mad:
    I'll have to listen out for that the next time I watch Sky News. It sounds very strange, especially the sixth->sith one. One I always find odd is that way that an 'r' sometimes gets added to the end of a persons name e.g. Didier Drogba becomes Didier Drogbar.

All accents have their idiosyncrasies. Try asking a Galwegian to pronounce the 'h' in 'that' or 'these' for example :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I use to work with a London girl, her voice was hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I use to work with a London girl, her voice was hot!
    Was she a dragon?

I work with a guy from London, he's old school London too, I reckon he's in his 60s, really funny guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I don't know my british accents at all, but my main exposure to 'em as a wee un was through british comedies (ie Monty Python). Ie so whatever John Cleese et al's accent is - whenever someone is talking with that accent, no matter what they are saying, I just want to start giggling.

Saying that, I would think folks would be used to American accents, but anytime I tried to be serious/authorative at my prior job (ie "The bar is closed, you guys need to finish your drinks and leave." or what not), folks just found it hillarious. Or maybe it was just me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

I get exactly the same thing!! I have a cockney twang as i come from Peterborough originally I think it could be the shock from people expecting you to speak with an Irish accent until you open your mouth lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

This is a bit of a side-track from the London accent but now that you mention British accents in general...I have a question :confused:

Sorry had to laugh at that post isnt it a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. What about Irish tendency to have trouble with their 'th' as in three, third etc. and adding letters such as a 'u' to words like film?

Your logical conclusion would be that we speak the 'Queens English' or old fashioned 'BBC English' and all sound the same. Not me I'll stick with my idiosyncracies and accent ta very much

Webbs wrote: »
    Your logical conclusion would be that we speak the 'Queens English' or old fashioned 'BBC English' and all sound the same. Not me I'll stick with my idiosyncracies and accent ta very much

totally agree, the queens english haha she can keep it, though the english royal family are not strickly english anyway, ( sorry cant bloody stand the woman!! old bat)
    the positive responses i have got are truly heart warming thanks guys, i truly appreciate your honest and intelligent answers!!

mind you if you heard me speak lol who knows what you would say, i went into my corner shop yesterday got chatting with a lady and she said i sounded like im in east enders (great!!!!! not ) but then my doctors receptionist said i sound australian, so its all relative too who is listening i suppose lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

moldypeach wrote: »
    I get exactly the same thing!! I have a cockney twang as i come from Peterborough originally I think it could be the shock from people expecting you to speak with an Irish accent until you open your mouth lol

It must have been a very clear day to hear the Bow Bells from there! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Dave147 wrote: »
    For feck sake I'm from Cork, can you get any worse.... bai :)

No

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

my question is about my accent is london, its not common cockney eastenders, its just a english accent with a london tilt too it, i cannot for the life of me work out what the reaction is when i do open my GOB LOL
    i get a amazing reaction i have too say!!
    the eyes get wider and the smiles larger, and if im out with the kids talking too them , people actually turn round too have a good look at the london accent!! lol

It's probably that they're delighted that you're an English speaker.

Despite the history, the Eastern Europeans, God bless 'em, have done a lot to raise the popularity of English people among the Irish. ;)

JustMary wrote: »
    It's probably that they're delighted that you're an English speaker.

Despite the history, the Eastern Europeans, God bless 'em, have done a lot to raise the popularity of English people among the Irish. ;)

but im not english!! lol i was born in london yes, father is a mayo man, ( hence mcguire) mother was italian i was born in 1969, and even then i remember walking through london and seeing signs at bed and breakfast and guest houses saying no blacks, no irish, no dogs.
    i may have grew up with a london accent but i was brought up around my irish family, and my italian family the english culture for what ever it is ( class system and fish and chips?) had no bearing on me at all.

my grandad (italian side) had 2 cafes and a deli in battersea and he made it know too the locals in south london he wouldnt employ english, he would only employ irish, blacks and italian, or any other minority he made his money then came too live in kilkee ( co clare) with his irish wife lol
    so theres no love for the english in either side of my family

then my own children there father came too england from jamacia when he was 13, (rip) he died in a road accident 6 years ago, so my kids are soup!! a pure mix ! but one is 10 the other is 14 so who knows they may loose the london accent and gain a irish one .
    :)

JustMary wrote: »
    They have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Tsk, foreigners. Coming over here, talkin' funny and taking our women and all the good jobs like in the bank and driving buses.

I'd say they are smiling at you 'cos they are remembering something funny off Eastenders...

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

My gf is english. Hot, hot, hot accent!!!!

Advertisement