Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone have a look at my line stats

Options
  • 26-09-2008 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, got smart bb today. On 8Mb at the moment can someone have a look at what my max would be. Thanks!

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:39:36
    DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 478 / 9,215
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / -33.0
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 53.0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 8.0
    Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / GSPN
    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Link (Remote): 0
    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 41,852
    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 30
    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 28

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

gpf101 wrote: »
    Hi lads, got smart bb today. On 8Mb at the moment can someone have a look at what my max would be. Thanks!

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:39:36
    DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 478 / 9,215
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / -33.0
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 53.0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 8.0
    Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / GSPN
    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Link (Remote): 0
    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 41,852
    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 30
    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 28

This is kinda weird. Your attenuation suggests a max of 4 megs, yet you've sync'd at 8 megs (9.2 with Smart). Your line is still extremely noisy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Its ADSL 2+, ya I'm surprised woth the sync speed. Rebooted there and it synced at 8.5Mb. And the speed tests I run show 6.5-7.5 Mb download.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Margin 8db, you will not get any faster . Smart _synch_ at the fastest possible speed irrespective of your package.

If you lived next door to the exchange it would synch at c.22mbit but you would still get your 4mbit or 8mbit package in terms of data thruput .

Dam. Brand new house in a new development less than 2km from the exchange. Poor from eircom. Im getting a margin of 9.5 now and a sync of 8.2Mb. So thats the absolute max I can get? I thought Id get 20Mb...:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you won't get 20mb @ 2km anyway , c.12-15 maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

gpf101 wrote: »
    Dam. Brand new house in a new development less than 2km from the exchange. Poor from eircom. Im getting a margin of 9.5 now and a sync of 8.2Mb. So thats the absolute max I can get? I thought Id get 20Mb...:(

Its not entirely a case of poor from Eircom, as Sponge has already said you wouldn't get 20mbit at 2km even with an ideal line. You should be getting a bit more than 8mbit though, maybe try unplugging anything else pluged into the phoneline out and plug the modem into the main phone socket and see do you get a higher sync speed.

Did that. Its ok anyway just thought it'd be a better line!

Advertisement