Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

250 to 300 yards long range shooting with .22lr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Wow! Thats nice stuff!

~B

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Interesting indeed. So many people say "It's just a .22" and don't realise that it would have to travel a long way to lose enough energy to not cause injury.

Using a ballistic calculator a subsonic .22 target round at 1000yds comes in at roughly 16 ft/lbs. There are plenty of air rifles that don't put out that at the muzzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Thats still quite alot of energy at 1000 yards IRL Conor, most legal airguns in the uk can only be 12 ft/lbs. It makes you wonder about the little .22 indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I for one will be taking my .22lr far more seriously from now on, but still would not recomend it for foxes beyond 50 yards. Good post RH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There was another thread on this subject some time back. I'll have a root around and see if I can find it. It referred to a different web page from the one linked to by the OP.

OK found it! it's here.

On an ebay site no less, but very informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The case proven above is one of the reasons why I don't like them that much as a hunting rifle. Limited power and a capability to travel fairly far in my books spells ricochet. Having said that, a bit of plinking with a .22lr against a good backstop is one of the most enjoyable ways to spend a few hours if there's no hunting available. Tin cans in the bog beware :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm surprized that the posters didn't expect the .22 to penetrate at 300 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'm with you on that one Mellor. It's less than the lenght of 3 football pitches if you put it in perspective.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm surprized that the posters didn't expect the .22 to penetrate at 300 yards.

Mellor are you reffering to the posters on this thread or the original thread, because as far as i can see no one of the posters on this thread yet has said that that they didnt expect a .22 to penetrate at 300 yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Mellor are you reffering to the posters on this thread or the original thread, because as far as i can see no one of the posters on this thread yet has said that that they didnt expect a .22 to penetrate at 300 yards.

i have hit a target at 300yards the target in size was four feet hight and two
    foot wide and made of a light ply board with no wind and using
    cci 32 grain strings and it went trought it no joke :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

I've killed foxes cleanly with single shots at 100-120 yards.

CCI Stingers in an old bolt action mauser rifle built as a trainer for the full bore companion gun (which I never saw).

22 rf is a great gun and an all rounder. Trainer, plinker, target rifle, subsonic bunny slayer and hyper velocity fox control, it's done it all, often from the same gun.

I'm not advocating everyone to go popping fox at 100 yards plus, but at that time I had a lot of practice in (back in the 80's and I was unemployed so shot every day for about four months) and I knew exactly where my bullets would go.

My auld lad was a gun dealer so I used to get him to buy bricks of 5000 rounds at a time for me and zero for that batch. From a cold barrel I could put that round where I needed it more often than not, great times if a little poverty stricken!

I have seen the lowly .22 take Deer sized game on occasion, totally illegal but it put meat on the table. A good head shot under 80 yards was usually a clean kill. I would never under estimate the .22rf round, it's one of the best rounds ever built in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

thehair wrote: »
    i have hit a target at 300yards the target in size was four feet hight and two
    foot wide and made of a light ply board with no wind and using
    cci 32 grain strings and it went trought it no joke :)

this is were i shoot also to the top off the hill is 380yards from the post
    were i shot the target at 300yards

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk25/thehair_photo/BA8E1DB0.jpg

steve;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Obviously the other thread, because as you pointed out, nobdy here doubted it would.
    Now, if you told me it had the kill energy for a fox, i'd be shocked :eek:

Mellor wrote: »
    Obviously the other thread, because as you pointed out, nobdy here doubted it would.
    Now, if you told me it had the kill energy for a fox, i'd be shocked :eek:

Cool, kill energy at that range on a fox shocked wouldnt be the answer, you hear the stories all the time I shot a fox at 150 + yards with .22 and he dropped on the spot.Personally I would not take a shot at over 60 yards at a fox with a .22 lr and thats making sure on correct shot placement as much as possible.

Advertisement