Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Retreiver

Options
  • 26-09-2008 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

hi. just got a GR ten weeks old now,and having bit of trouble with her. First thing is we feed her the last feed at 7pm, take her outside before we go to bed to let her do har duty and still in the morning she has the place wet and maybe pooed. we have her 3 weeks. second thing is she keeps biting you hand when you go to pet her and follows you feet and bites your leg when you walk. any ideas to stop her doing this. i know alot is only puppy playing but its abit annoying,espiceally round kids.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

At ten weeks old you can't really expect her to hold her bladder all night, you might want to be setting that alarm clock for the early hours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

She's still only a baby, so wont be able to hold it all night.
    Puppies need to be taken out regularly to do their business, and after play as well as food and sleep.
    Arcadian is right, when mentioning alarm clocks - toilet training goes a lot faster if you stick to a routine. When they start "getting it" then you can lengthen the time between outside visits. Not everyone sets their clocks to pay a visit every hour or every two hours but those that do, find less mess ;)

Teeth on skin is a no no. If she puts teeth on skin, you can do one of two things -either remove the fun and attention, or substitute the skin with a chew toy so she understands that "these things are only for chewing, everything else is not to be chewed". She will go through teething so investing chew toys are worth your while or you'll end up with chewed tables, chairs and everything else as well as hands.

If you go down the route of removing the fun and attention, then the minute teeth go on skin, let out a little yelp similar to what a puppy would do if hurt so she understands that its ouch!! and then walk away. You can resume the attention and games after a while, but if she starts again, repeat.

Both "problems" (they're not really problems - they're normal puppy behaviour) can be overcome with patience and consistency.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

firstly, I'd be concerned about the reliability of any breeder letting a pup go at 7wks.

secondly, as for the nipping, it may sound silly but it does work, if she nips you (tell other family members to do the same) squeal. that's what another puppy would do to tell it's sibling that it had gone too far and was hurting, you have to sort of understand the dog and try and communicate in a language that she understands as well if that makes sense. so basically puppy nips, you squeal & ignore puppy for a few mins = puppy knowing that what she did was wrong/hurtful and results in being ignored (most dogs hate this so it's a good "punishment" without being cruel at all)

As for the toilet training, have you tried crate training? i.e. leave the puppy in a crate during the night, dogs don't usually soil their own bed so they learn to hold themselves during the night but of course she is only young and may not have full control of her bladder etc yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

fiestaman wrote: »
    hi. just got a GR ten weeks old now,and having bit of trouble with her. First thing is we feed her the last feed at 7pm, take her outside before we go to bed to let her do har duty and still in the morning she has the place wet and maybe pooed. we have her 3 weeks. second thing is she keeps biting you hand when you go to pet her and follows you feet and bites your leg when you walk. any ideas to stop her doing this. i know alot is only puppy playing but its abit annoying,espiceally round kids.

It always amazes me when people expect their puppies to automatically know human house etiquette in a couple of weeks when it takes humans over a year!.

What your experiencing is all the joys of owning a puppy, your dog's not doing what a million other dogs around the world are doing - peeing, crapping and biting all around them.

The toilet training will come in time, you'll just need some patience for another few weeks. The nipping can last a little longer, and remember just like a baby your puppy is teething too, which is responsible for some of the biting the rest really is just puppy stuff and she will grow out of it with a little training from you.

Personally I've never had to 'train' mine to stop the biting, it just happened over time. But training will help I guess.

Welcome to the topsy turvy world of pet ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

As Kerrysgold says crate training is the way to go. Also gives them a secure place to go when they need a bit of space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement