Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble picking a business name

Options
  • 26-09-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I'm having alot of trouble picking a business name.. It's funny because at first thought you'd imagine that a business name would be one of the easier parts of starting a business.

It's not. It's the one of the hardest obsticles I've come accross so far, a business name means so much! It's the first thing you hear about said business, first impression, marketability, rememerability etc.

I'm going into website design and may expand into hosting and domain reselling.

I've tried brainstorm, going over ideas with other people but this is the kind of thing that really gets me stuck, any tips on coming up with a business name that has all the qualities I mentioned above in it - I'd appreciate the advice

Kind regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If all else fails, be methodical. You make lists, basically. Put each name on a card and start sorting the cards into different types of names (evocative/symbolic, founder, descriptive, abstract, whatever). Find names that really jump out. If no names jump out, start eliminating names that aren't going to work. Get friends, colleagues and customers involved with the sorting. Try and build some checklists for what you need from the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shane.burroughs

Don't stress about it too much. You can always change it later.

Oddly google were once called 'Backrub'. That terrible name wasn't enough to prevent there domination of market.

As it happens I also plan to venture into this field. You can visit my site here http://www.blackrath.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Really, for a marketing services business like web development, try to have the name straightened out at the start.

Advertisement