Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't install anything. [Problem solved]

• 26-09-2008 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I just got a new laptop three days ago. I was setting up a wireless network between my laptop and my original desktop and suddenly I discovered I cannot install any new programmes on either computer. My laptop's running Vista Home Premium and my desktop XP SP2.

My laptop is new so I used HP system restore to return it to its factory settings... the problem is still there! I cannot install Firefox, Norton updates will download but not install, basically no programme installs. It usually says the file is corrupt or there has been an internal validation error.

I've run a scan with Norton internet security but nothing has shown up. Last time I checked activex does not work so I can't do an online scan with Panda etc.

I really need help as its such a mysterious problem.
    I will offer a reward the poster who solves it (assuming this complies with forum rules).

I can supply more information if neccessary but remember, I can't install new programmes! I've attached a picture of the processes that are running.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Edit: The problem turned out to be that my primary router (Scientific Atlanta that comes with NTL) became messed up when I set up a work-group on my Netgear router. Don't ask me why buy restoring it to factory settings meant that the files I downloaded never gave me the "corrupt" message again. Thanks to those who posted here!
    It really helped to get different perspectives on it and gave me the inspiration to figure it out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Do you have administrator priveledges to install new programs... because in no way would that be Malware based after a system restore to factory settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 thebromeliad

Dartz wrote: »
    Do you have administrator priveledges to install new programs... because in no way would that be Malware based after a system restore to factory settings.

That's what I find so strange! I'll make sure I have admin status, that's a good idea. I installed Vipre last night no problem it's just normal programmes Firefox, Voipcheap etc that won't install.
    If anyone can solve this they're a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Have you tried updating the Windows Installer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 john666

DarkJager wrote: »
    Have you tried updating the Windows Installer?
    1)I'm an admin for sure.
    2)No I haven't, could you give me a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 john666

Update: I've installed a game (supreme commander) from a disc no problem. Could I have a problem with my router/internet that's making downloaded files corrupt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

More than likely a problem with the disaster that is Norton. For all that is holy get it off your machine quick before it consumes it totally, search here for the number of people that have had problems with that malware.

MC

Advertisement