Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Excellent website
    Just when you thought this thread couldnt get any better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

this is a great thread.

its not as racy but myself and my brother were very very young when we passed the claddagh palace one day and saw a film called "Piddle in your hand" being advertised. - we thought it was a terrible name. It was only a few y ears afterward we realised the film was "riddle of the sands".

anyone remember the long long queues to get into the place for a film - going way back nearly to the crescent.

and as for the town hall - as kids we would get to go there on a saturday afternoon - every child in Galway must have been there - when they had a full house they used to slam the door in your face - there was always a frantic push to get in - kids pushing kids up against the door frantically. Sometimes if they were in a good mood they would let you in and sit on the floor. :D:D with your little home-made bag of treats. penny sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

skelliser wrote: »
    a few more..
    news at ten were monsoon is now

I'm in galway ten years i even remember that!

Lol EMMI, we must have posted at the same time re: Santa in Glynn's....there was never a queue and my grandmother always brought me....

Yeah Simon's was where the Euroshop is now next to the Bank of Ireland on Mainguard St, really crap toys and a load of bikes, i think one of the lads works in McCambridges now....

Oh and while i am downt that end.....Carr's Paint Shop?

that wasn't simons, that was Raftery's

axiom32 wrote: »
    on the subject of things still there / unchanged SALLY LONGS is one for ur pub list a mates dad told a tale just last week of buyin a flangan over the bar before heading to the dance hall in salthill park across from Leisureland think it was the Hangar (way way way back)....i asked was it always called sallys thinkin it was a newish name and was informed it was owned at the time by a lady called Sally Long

and for the gone but not forgotten lists of sweet shops i owe money too due to sweet abduction
    1. Keoghs in Corrib Park
    2. Dooleys in Shantalla
    3. Irwins also Shantalla
    4. Stop n Shop up road from G n L
    5. M
    where isupply is now newcastle side of NUIG sorry i mean U.C.G(keepin it retro)
    6. The Bon Bon in Salthill
    corner of Taylors Hill and St. Marys Road (nile lodge)
    on Threadneedle rd opp tennis club
    9. The mobile shop from Coogan pk
    10. Connelleys in bohermore
    11. Camerons in bohermore
    12. Mill Street Stores

:D
    please fill in gaps

you were always barred in dooley if you went in with a posse of kids, ,but if you went in after mass on a sunday with your dad it was okay. The mass being held in the community centre cause there was no westside church. LOL

• Advertisement

lovelyhome wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

it used to be called the Oyster, and it had a big fountain in the middle of the floor - beside it was the Five Star shop and down Shop Street you got the GTM food shop (or vice versa).

Also you would always have traveller ladies outside dunnes at the square with a child wrapped in a tartan blanket, and always singing "blanket on the ground". :D

and "Thursdays" in Abbeygate street was the place to go for fashion.

lovelyhome wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

you are getting mixed up with the Lions Tower which was down from the post office. Cuba was called the Bentley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks for this thread, some great info for us blow ins! and never knew about Robert Borkowski's website, very impressive. this is why I like boards.ie :)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Maybe this is too old,

But there's some pictures of Galway and connemara from the late 19th century on this website:

http://archives.library.nuigalway.ie:8080/balfour/

133507.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

that wasn't simons, that was Raftery's

+1, that was Rafterys Shop, sold Music stuff in front to the left (always got our tin whistles from there), electrical stuff in front to the right, bikes in the back and furniture and Calor Gas stuff etc upstairs. They later had a bigger furniture store around where Ryans Homestore is now.
    I've read reference to Simons Toy shop here before but do not remember it myself, there was a toy/sweets/tobacconist shop on a corner, i think where Blaco is now beside Collerans where we went to buy meat. In the shop where you went downstairs from the door to get to the main floor. I don't remember the name of the shop though. Should ask my mum about the name :D used to drive her nuts looking for sweets and toys when we went in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

With thanks to a friend of mine who has apparently ninja like research skills

High Street Long Ago
    merchant, whose premises ran through to Middle Street. Here she employed about twenty women barrelling herrings. On her death, the business was taken over by her daughter, Mrs. Simon. It continued as a fish shop until after the war years when it was changed to a fancy good shop, later a toy shop.

http://archive.advertiser.ie/pages/view.php?ref=15874&search=%21collection862&order_by=field51&sort=ASC&offset=0&archive=0&k

So Simons was on Middle Street not Mainguard Street beside BOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jraftery

A guy called Des was the main man......Can't remember his last name...??
    John Tony and PJ were the owners he was in charge of the radio/television counter his name was Des Pratt an absolute gentleman worked for us for nearly 40 years he was involved with the start up of the credit union and fostered dozens of children god rest him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ATMW

Hi--can someone remind me what Monroe's pub in Dominick street was called before it was called Monroe's??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

manhattan i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Norma Jeane Mortenson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

That has to be a long, long time ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ATMW

Yes--it was The Manhattan (a long long time ago indeed!!):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Must be 30 years ago minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

How did you recall that bit of information?

Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall Monroe's predecessor.

Here's an ad for the auction of the Manhattan's contents, June 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pauljw11

Ah yes--the Manhattan. There was a bit of a pool craze in the late 1970s and the Manhattan had a couple of pool tables squeezed in, they weren't too bothered about things like some of the side cushions being totally out of order, one of the tables was about nine inches from the wall, and you had to squeeze yourself between the edge of the table and the wall, they had a few cues that had been sawn in half to enable you to take your shot!!

The pub was more or less totally rebuilt in the eighties, it used only be a two or three storey building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Was there on Friday night. Had only ever been in the ground floor of it. The place is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

The jug of Punch used to be beside it( now some God awful chipper serving battered burgers of all things). the place was famed for its brawls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Was there on Friday night. Had only ever been in the ground floor of it. The place is massive.
    The upstairs 'Monroes Live' is a new venue, only opened up last year. Most impressive venue in Galway IMO, I'd love if it opened as a club during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pauljw11

alibabba wrote: »
    What was the pub around the corner from the Yacht ... jasus i spent me youth in there an d cant remember it at moment.

It was originally (well in the 1970s anyhow) called (Padraigin) Glynns.:) Does anyone remember that sometimes there would be a Wolfhound lying on its side in the bar, and you would have to step over it to get to the bar!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Lots of footage of Galway in the 90's in this documentary on Luke 'Ming the Merciless' Flanagan. Enjoyable documentary as well ! (It's in 3 parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7ImFojSSI4

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

This is a great thread and reading it got the memories flowing back, will post some of my own later. This is just to say thanks to all who have posted as it is so enjoyable reading through them

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

There is a book called Hardimans history of Galway.
    If you are intersted in galway history and development from ancient time up until 1850 I think.
    This book is a great resource and a must have.
    The book is now out of copyright and can be viewed/downloaded here

http://claddagh.com/library/hardiman/

It is an excellent reference book that many of you may enjoy browsing through.

Hopefully someone will enjoy the link

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound.
    As we have a thread already about Old Galway I'll merge the threads so people can see what resources others have suggested too.

Can't remember if this was posted already but:
    http://www.irishholidays.com/ggstart.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hardiman was linked in this thread a year back, full PDF download and all .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62570288&postcount=206

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 rolypoly

To the list of sweet shops i have to add " woodquay stores" or Dannys as it was locally known.......
    Always had great selection of penny sweets.... then off to the plots to slide down the hill ....

Advertisement