Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Stevolende wrote: »

I bet the Old Taaffe's Sweater shop is before a lot of people's memory, though family squabbles have only lead to it being a shop front with a painting over the front of it so far.

You've the wrong end of the stick there. There were no family squabbles (at least none stopping the development). The property was sold by Una's beneficiaries shortly after her death to Gerry Barrett. The fools in An Taisce stymied any development by objecting as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

There was rumour of a Huguenot graveyard somewhere on the property, would the An Taisce objection have anything to do with that.

I hadn't realised Una was dead. I was there when she got taken away in an ambulance and heard that was to do with the value of the property. Have heard that the Taafffe family were property developers on the East Coast somewhere and were being underhanded about this. Don't know the truth.

Looks like for years the Galway Taaffe siblings Una & Ed sustained each other, then Ed died and Una became possibly even more eccentric. You used to see her roaming the streets with the crowd of stray looking dogs. Then she was taken away.

Rumour was that at one point she was quite a catch. Most desirable woman in Galway type level, was hard to believe looking at her with heavy misapplied make-up towards the end. Especially with the herd of dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

churchview wrote: »
    There was also the brother, Eddie.

Una Taafe herself had the heavy makeup.

I believe she was already discussed a some stage on this forum. part of old Galway.

the blind accordionist used to play outside Glynns and he was very much part of the street. they should nearly have erected a statue of the guy.

there used to be a guy who went out to Blackrock. John was his name, a bit overweight and he was famous for going to the top board and bouncing off, creating a nice splash. a character, but I believe he has since passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

You've the wrong end of the stick there. There were no family squabbles (at least none stopping the development). The property was sold by Una's beneficiaries shortly after her death to Gerry Barrett. The fools in An Taisce stymied any development by objecting as usual.

The property was sold twice before Ms. Taaffe's death. Her grand-nephew and grand-niece reversed both sales and then the property was then sold to Mr. Barrett.

The property is a large site and to the rear had an amount of open space and tennis courts at one point. Mr. Barrett's application for planning permission was refused in 2008 on a wide variety of grounds:

"The re-development was to include a proposed new shopfront and a 3 storey extension to the building. The developer also planned to remove some floors, walls, and a staircase and connect the building with a fire escape to Edward Square. City planners have refused the development on the grounds that it would adversely affect the character of the structure.
    Planners say the works would contravene the city development plan which states the council will encourage the protection and enhancement of protected structures."

This refusal was appealed to An Bord Pleanála and upheld.

An Taisce a.k.a. the evil warlord Megatron had very little to do with either decision.

ladhrann wrote: »
    The property was sold twice before Ms. Taaffe's death. Her grand-nephew and grand-niece reversed both sales and then the property was then sold to Mr. Barrett.

Perfectly true, but those events weren't family squabbles. If anything, they were a family protecting a vulnerable old relative from being taken advantage of. The rumour mill was in overdrive at the time, and the figures that she was supposed to have sold for at the time were shocking i.e. shockingly low.

The property is a large site and to the rear had an amount of open space and tennis courts at one point.

That's where the graveyard is/was as well. I haven't seen in there in many years.
    An Taisce a.k.a. the evil warlord Megatron had very little to do with either decision.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/7955-city-eyesore-plans-suffer-another-blow

Is Hambleton this "evil warlord Megatron" of whom you speak? :D

Granted, there were other issues other than those raised by An T, but An T covered themselves in their usual glory on this one as well. We're now left with a derelict site on the main street and whatever artifacts are inside are left to crumble.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »

the blind accordionist used to play outside Glynns and he was very much part of the street. they should nearly have erected a statue of the guy.

Joe. I always remember the leather pouch thing he had attached to the accordion to collect his takings.

Rumour was that at one point she was quite a catch. Most desirable woman in Galway type level, was hard to believe looking at her with heavy misapplied make-up towards the end. Especially with the herd of dogs.

I frequently heard this and never quite believed it either. Then, last Christmas, I was shown an old photograph of an aunt of mine on a boat with a group of friends. An amazing old photo, somewhat like the deck of a cruise ship or something like that. Anyway, there in all her glory and looking stunning was the bould Una! I reckon the picture was taken sometime in the 1930s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

The property is a large site and to the rear had an amount of open space and tennis courts at one point. Mr. Barrett's application for planning permission was refused in 2008 on a wide variety of grounds:

"The re-development was to include a proposed new shopfront and a 3 storey extension to the building. The developer also planned to remove some floors, walls, and a staircase and connect the building with a fire escape to Edward Square. City planners have refused the development on the grounds that it would adversely affect the character of the structure.
    Planners say the works would contravene the city development plan which states the council will encourage the protection and enhancement of protected structures."

This refusal was appealed to An Bord Pleanála and upheld.

in other words he wanted to build a monstrosity that would destroy the old character of the street.

Is Hambleton this "evil warlord Megatron" of whom you speak? :D

Granted, there were other issues other than those raised by An T, but An T covered themselves in their usual glory on this one as well. We're now left with a derelict site on the main street and whatever artifacts are inside are left to crumble.

I appreciate that an online forum is an unlikely if not the most unlikely place where I may change someone's opinion.

That said An Taisce does not control the planning process in this country, and a planning submission is just that, a submission, and does not result in a refusal in its own right, neither does an appeal. Which appeal was taken by the developer in this case.

Articles from the Connacht Tribune Group are particularily suspect when it comes to planning matters as it has a record of being infamously hostile to either conservation groups, attempts to limit one-off housing or any other objection to the degradation of the landscape and the proliferation of low-quality, high-cost sprawl in the city and county.

Fundamentally you must accept either that there is a social, cultural, historical and economic value in preserving the few surviving elements of the past intact or not.

I see no reason why a sensitive restoration of the building and grounds could not be approved. Perhaps it would not yield sufficient floorspace and consequent rent roll to justify the original purchase price.

This in my view is the real reason behind its current status.

I don't want to drag this off topic, so I'll keep this brief. In my defence, if I am dragging it off topic, we are talking about the "old" bits of "old Galway".
    I appreciate that an online forum is an unlikely if not the most unlikely place where I may change someone's opinion.

You don't need to change my opinion. I actually agree with you about the necessity to respect and cherish our past.
    Fundamentally you must accept either that there is a social, cultural, historical and economic value in preserving the few surviving elements of the past intact or not.

Completely agree with that statement.

Where I disagree is with your assessment of An Taisce. In my opinion, their Galway branch is anti everything and pro nothing. Their actions are certainly not pro conservation - their modus operandi is to object to pretty much everything. Think of the Galway bypass, Harbour development, proposed flights from the docks. With the last one "they" even ventured opinions on the financial viability of the business. What would they know about aviation?
    Unfortunately, the Galway branch appears to have been taken over by a core group which peddles an unedifying reactionary view to any change, without proposing viable and positive alternatives.

Now, in fairness, that's all I'll say in this thread on this.

• Advertisement

Where I disagree is with your assessment of An Taisce. In my opinion, their Galway branch is anti everything and pro nothing. Their actions are certainly not pro conservation - their modus operandi is to object to pretty much everything. Think of the Galway bypass, Harbour development, proposed flights from the docks. With the last one "they" even ventured opinions on the financial viability of the business. What would they know about aviation?
    Unfortunately, the Galway branch appears to have been taken over by a core group which peddles an unedifying reactionary view to any change, without proposing viable and positive alternatives.

Now, in fairness, that's all I'll say in this thread on this.

In relation to objections to 'development' it has been shown time and again that unless an objection is made planners and developers will often pay no attention to any building work beyond a ratio of housing units to site area. The whole point of any heritage organisation is not to propose shopping centres or other developments, but to make those in charge jusitify their actions.

For instance why are most housing estates in Galway surrounded by unplastered breezeblock walls, or have bare open green spaces that are useless for proper sport or recreation? Time and time again it is because no one bothered to object.

Why is every square inch of fencing, lampost or building covered in cheap plastic corrugated signage? Because no one complains.

I do not have the answers to anything much, but I urge everyone to take an active role in civic life and make builders, councillors and planners justify every decision that un-makes the past and puts something cheaper, nastier and stupider in its place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

One other thing I noticed disappeared recently that's been in Galway for years was the metal structure (archway?) at the end of the lane connecting middle street with Shop St between the 2 Ryans' premises.
    Not sure exactly when that went but noticed it a couple of weeks back. Maybe it wasn't structurally sound anymore. could see possibility of it getting rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

I like this thread.
    Sucks I wasn't born til mid 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

One other thing I noticed disappeared recently that's been in Galway for years was the metal structure (archway?) at the end of the lane connecting middle street with Shop St between the 2 Ryans' premises.
    Not sure exactly when that went but noticed it a couple of weeks back. Maybe it wasn't structurally sound anymore. could see possibility of it getting rusty.
    Good spot, didn't even notice myself, but now that you say it, yeah it's gone.

My memories of the city centre:
    Blind guy with accordian
    Superbowl restaurant on upper abbeygate st
    O'Gormans, upstairs at Christmas to look at toys & visit santa
    Funfair that used to be between Quinnsworth & Ford (Higgins) garage on Headford Rd
    Big stone wall & blue gate in to scrap yard (site of Jury's)
    Having to drive the long way around the docks going to/from Lough Atalia

will think of plenty more, when not on phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paddytheloaf

Joe. I always remember the leather pouch thing he had attached to the accordion to collect his takings.

His name was Mr. Hickey.....First name might have been Tom..??

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭conaire1

The blind accordionist was Joe Gaynor. He died in 2002. He was born in Wicklow in 1921 and used to busk on O'Connell Street Bridge in Dublin before moving to Galway in the 1960s to live with his sister and family in Henry Street.
    He played on O'Brien's Bridge before settling on his final pitch on William Street. He also played in the summer months outside the Banba Hotel in Salthill, now replaced by the ghostly Bailey Point.
    See the Advertiser, Sept 26, 2002.

conaire1 wrote: »
    The blind accordionist was Joe Gaynor. He died in 2002. He was born in Wicklow in 1921 and used to busk on O'Connell Street Bridge in Dublin before moving to Galway in the 1960s to live with his sister and family in Henry Street.
    He played on O'Brien's Bridge before settling on his final pitch on William Street. He also played in the summer months outside the Banba Hotel in Salthill, now replaced by the ghostly Bailey Point.
    See the Advertiser, Sept 26, 2002.

http://www.maguiregallery.com/barrie/JoeGaynorObit.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

that's great news, man was that thing ugly and tasteless.. Tom Kenny talked about Buttermilk Lane in this article in 2002

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Interestin pic from this weeks City Tribune.
    Observations;
    1. Higgins name on Labour Party office.
    2. One mean looking preeesht.

1970__st_patricks_day_parade_st_pats_band.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Observations;

blow-in question... but when did the buildings on the right get knocked, it's where the school car park is now right?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

No, they are the off-licence now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

That building is still there, It's now a SPAR convenience store.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

jkforde wrote: »
    blow-in question... but when did the buildings on the right get knocked, it's where the school car park is now right?

it's the spar shop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

does anyone remember the hairdresser that used to be down the little laneway between Powells (shop street window) and Una Taaffes - you had to open a gate, and walk through, down a little alley where there was a couple of shops, apartments and a hairdresser. This would have been in the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Dont remember the hairdresser but Galways first pirate station Independent Radio Galway were down there too and a little cafe. It was called the Arch Arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Observations;

That's no 'preeesht' - that's Brother Albinus who organised the Patrician Brass Band out of St. Pat's Boys' School. He wasn't the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

does anyone remember the hairdresser that used to be down the little laneway between Powells (shop street window) and Una Taaffes - you had to open a gate, and walk through, down a little alley where there was a couple of shops, apartments and a hairdresser. This would have been in the 80's.

There was a second hand record shop down there and a T Shirt printing shop as well.

That was Hansel and Gretel. She started over where John Deelys used to be (think that's some sort of photography shop now), then moved to the Arch Arcade and is now in Abbeygate Street, branded as H and G.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BISHBOY

Lol EMMI, we must have posted at the same time re: Santa in Glynn's....there was never a queue and my grandmother always brought me....

Yeah Simon's was where the Euroshop is now next to the Bank of Ireland on Mainguard St, really crap toys and a load of bikes, i think one of the lads works in McCambridges now....

Oh and while i am downt that end.....Carr's Paint Shop?
    Simons is /was down below Kennys Bookshop, near the Stella Cafe and its expensive matches.
    Rafterys was the shop beside Collerans, which is now the "pound shop".sold bikes and some musical instruments.

Remember the Genoa bar ?

• Advertisement

BISHBOY wrote: »

Remember the Genoa bar ?

Where Tigh Choilí is now. Didn't it burn down?

Advertisement