Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The chap who used to play the guitar outside the Claddagh Palace. The stare he'd give you as you shuffled past ensured he would not get my tuppance. I remember a film about slavery in America and Christian demonstrators opposite as you entered. Think it was called Mongo or something like that.

Going to the 11pm showing in the Town Hall Two (?) was a highlight.

Locking the auld bike in the Guards on Eglington Street.

Remember well when Shantalla used to be a rough place with certain 'bootboys' hanging around. (All changed now). And a must have was the dyed FCA coat. Is that still around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

bobbyss wrote: »

Remember well when Shantalla used to be a rough place with certain 'bootboys' hanging around. (All changed now).

Oi!! Bootboys were Bohermore!!

Neither place was rough btw.

Depends what you mean by rough. I certainly thought it was.

I remember playing footie in the pitch beside helicopter landing place in hospital. And the fellas who used to shout out Connacht Triiii...bune on a Friday in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Not true. My brother ended up in hospital for 9 days after a savage beating from the Shantalla 'bootboys'. He was on his way home from the claddagh palace cinema at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Just after reading all the posts and they have brought back great memories as I lived and worked in Galway from the early 70s until 1982.The one place that I haven't seen mentioned is Mrs Cullens Pub in Foster St, it was a mighty place for a good seisuin most nights with mrs Cullen and Bridie serving. anyone remember the big drawing of an ear that hung in the upstairs lounge of the Crane bar, I believe it was there to remind people to listen and not talk while the musicians played. Bought my first new Toyota in City Car Sales up the top of Bohermore ,ah those were the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭weshtawake

You would want to see Cullen's now!! It's morphed into a superpub and snakes all the way back to behind the buildings on Eyre Square - it's huge. A far cry indeed from the days of Sean O Conaire, Colie Clesham etc and the great seisiuns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This is an American promotional video for Galway from the late 80s/early 90s. It shows a few of everyone's favourite golden oldie places eventually and features "wild scenes" from a Galway hen night.
    You might even see your mammy in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Big O Taxis posted this on Facebook of wee Dublin Robbie, the man known as the little man with the big voice, one of the great buskers of Shop St from the early nineties and early noughties. RIP Robbie. https://www.facebook.com/BigOTaxisGalway/videos/1532966063403882/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Big O Taxis posted this on Facebook of wee Dublin Robbie, the man known as the little man with the big voice, one of the great buskers of Shop St from the early nineties and early noughties. RIP Robbie. https://www.facebook.com/BigOTaxisGalway/videos/1532966063403882/

Ah .... that brings back memories!

I also remember the blind man with a labrador/golden retriever who played the button accordeon outside 'Glynns', which is now the Treasure Chest.

I also remember the blind man with a labrador/golden retriever who played the button accordeon outside 'Glynns', which is now the Treasure Chest.

Anybody know who he was? He was always there when I was down town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Martin Hickey (from the West I think)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

His name was Joseph Gaynor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Anyone else remember the "Ideal Drapery" shop on Dominick st or O'Gormans toy shop on High Street ... ahh the memories of been dragged around town by my mother !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Ah .... that brings back memories!

I was told that when Glynns sold to Treasure Chest a clause was written in stating that he could play the accordian outside for as long as he wished without harrassment from the new owners. How very cool of the Glynns!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

McTigs wrote: »
    I was told that when Glynns sold to Treasure Chest a clause was written in stating that he could play the accordian outside for as long as he wished without harrassment from the new owners. How very cool of the Glynns!

Not true about a clause. However, the question was asked and made a verbal condition (only half in jest) and the new owner obliged. Cool of the Bennetts as well to honour it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Not true about a clause. However, the question was asked and made a verbal condition (only half in jest) and the new owner obliged. Cool of the Bennetts as well to honour it.

Mary Bennett was always a woman of her word. She has done very well since she started in the Great Southern. She has been a great addition to Galway

The then manager of the GSH, Brian Collins, set up a small promotional display of local tweeds etc under Mary's charge. Brian was an energetic and innovative manager. Sadly killed in his prime in an air crash at Innsbruck

I came across this old narrated Bord Failte footage of Galway City from 1957 on the IFI. It's amazing to think it's 60 years ago, somethings look very similar. Unusually enough for these old videos there's lots of good shots of people around the town so you might well recognise your granny! There's a look inside shops and hotels and things I hadn't seen before too. I think it's lovely.

http://ifiplayer.ie/glamour-of-galway/

I can't find the Old Galway thread we had going here despite several searches so I'm posting it in this thread on it's own.If someone wants to move it, feel free.

That is really a nice little video Whimsical ;)

Shame it's not downloadable as it would be nice to have.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

That is really a nice little video Whimsical ;)

Shame it's not downloadable as it would be nice to have.

I agree! It was a beautiful little insight. A simpler time and yet I thought it actually looked like a more elegant, classier Galway than we have now in some ways. The women particularly are so well turned out and have gone to such effort with their hair (that sort of short hair does not just happen!). I always found my granny and lots of old ladies very elegant despite never being well off and wondered where that came from, I'd never have guessed 1950s Galway! :)
    I'd kind of more imagined a glum uptight atmosphere and people in shawls and aran jumpers in the 50s here.

Makes you wonder why are we not all out on the river rowing boats in sundresses and suits on summers days too.:)

It is a pity it can't be saved but nice to know it'll be there for future generations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

Look how well dressed people were back then. I love the lie that the 1950's were the dark ages and everyone was miserable and repressed.

• Advertisement

It is to attract tourists, it isn't going to lead with stagnation and decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

If you want to download it you can go to this URL: https://fpdl.vimeocdn.com/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/2841/7/189206160/627021337.mp4?token=1493585120-0xee9f9d5a41eb58276783b05a35e9579bdc33fcaa

Found from inspecting the source of the page in the OP above.

And then click on the download button.

It is to attract tourists, it isn't going to lead with stagnation and decline.

That's true, I'm sure that depending on where you visited you would have seen different sides of life.
    That said my granny and grandad lived in what was considered a poorer part of the city and I always noticed they and their neighbours took pride in their homes and gardens and their appearance and manners. I think the video makes the town look like somewhere people made an effort with themselves.

seklly wrote: »
    If you want to download it you can go to this URL: https://fpdl.vimeocdn.com/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/2841/7/189206160/627021337.mp4?token=1493585120-0xee9f9d5a41eb58276783b05a35e9579bdc33fcaa

Found from inspecting the source of the page in the OP above.

And then click on the download button.

I'm getting "ERROR 410 Gone" when I follow that link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I came across this old narrated Bord Failte footage of Galway City from 1957 on the IFI. It's amazing to think it's 60 years ago, somethings look very similar. Unusually enough for these old videos there's lots of good shots of people around the town so you might well recognise your granny! There's a look inside shops and hotels and things I hadn't seen before too. I think it's lovely.

http://ifiplayer.ie/glamour-of-galway/

I can't find the Old Galway thread we had going here despite several searches so I'm posting it in this thread on it's own.If someone wants to move it, feel free.

My father has dementia. This video will make his week. Thank you so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

That was great. Just made my kids sit through it. They were less impressed but I suppose nostalgia is not for the young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

I'm getting "ERROR 410 Gone" when I follow that link?

The token must have expired, to get it yourself you can:
    1. Open the link in the OP in Chrome
    2. Right-click the video and select "View frame source", a new tab will open with a lot of text
    3. On that new tab search (Ctrl+F) for "https://fpdl.vimeocdn.com/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/2841/7/189206160/627021337.mp4"
    4. Copy the URL that you find including the "?token=...." bit at the end of the URL
    5. Paste that URL into a new browser tab and you should get the downloadable video.

seklly wrote: »
    The token must have expired, to get it yourself you can:
    1. Open the link in the OP in Chrome
    2. Right-click the video and select "View frame source", a new tab will open with a lot of text
    3. On that new tab search (Ctrl+F) for "https://fpdl.vimeocdn.com/vimeo-prod-skyfire-std-us/01/2841/7/189206160/627021337.mp4"
    4. Copy the URL that you find including the "?token=...." bit at the end of the URL
    5. Paste that URL into a new browser tab and you should get the downloadable video.

Excellent seklly, that worked a treat. Thanks ;)

Tilikum wrote: »
    My father has dementia. This video will make his week. Thank you so much

The thought of that will make my week. I hope he will enjoy it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I was impressed by the speed of that double decker bus at the beginning.

Advertisement