Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

It is to attract tourists, it isn't going to lead with stagnation and decline.

True. But I wonder how many people were chucking themselves into the Corrib back then compared to Nu-Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi all....
    does anyone remember the name of the GPO before it became Kno Knos- my sister and I remember going there before our debs circa 1984! (We are that ancient!)
    We cannot think of it and it’s driving us nuts!!!
    Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Hi all....
    does anyone remember the name of the GPO before it became Kno Knos- my sister and I remember going there before our debs circa 1984! (We are that ancient!)
    Thanks guys!

It was originally the Oyster music bar and then I think it might have been called "Drum"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Hi all....
    Thanks guys!

The Oyster?

Curly head wrote: »
    Hi all....
    Thanks guys!

The Oyster?

I actually think it was pre- the Oyster!!!
    It had smokey coloured glass all around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

For some reason I have the word "Lion" in my head.....Lions den or something like that?

xtradel wrote: »
    For some reason I have the word "Lion" in my head.....Lions den or something like that?
    You absolute champ!!!!!
    It’s the Lions Tower!
    Thank you! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

xtradel wrote: »

Lyons Tower?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Lions Tower, not Lyons. Twas from the original building opposite. Now has trespass and the cao offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Yup, the Lions Tower, named after one of the original towers in the city walls! God be with the days. It had a serious buzz on Saturday Afternoons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pflanagan132

Number 12 lower Salthill was the site of a B/B called Central House in the 50s and 60s [maybe later]. Diagonally across the road is now a Maxol filling station. Can anybody recall what was there previously? I have an old photograph taken about 1960. I think it was taken about 1960 and I think outside Central House. Across the road at the junction where Maxol is now, would there have been a three storey house with a glasshouse/conservatory facing towards Salthill? Hoping some oldtimer can throw some light on a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

The Maxol was Maddens Garage as far as I recall. A galvanised green and white building.

Thanks Andrea

The Maxol filling station in Lower Salthill, what was there about 1960?

I suspect the garage was there pre 60's.
    1. It had that square blocked front representative of 1930's which can still be seen in some towns.
    2. The proprietor is referenced in this 1950's pic.
    https://mbasic.facebook.com/galway.memories/photos/a.577762048952568.1073741871.519851238076983/711081368953968/?type=3

3. 1913 ordinance survey does not show any buildings on it.

Thanks again Andrea, it looks as if I've going down the wrong road.

I think your linking is incorrect.

I was unable to post the photo, but I understand the three storey house with a glasshouse facing the road is still standing. This would not be too far from Nile Lodge on the opposite side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Some others I found:

ESB-strike-1972-.jpg
    Caption: The owners of Forde's Garage in Prospect Hill, Galway came up with a novel solution to power their petrol pumps during the ESB strike of April 1972 – an employee on a bicycle attached to the pump by a fan-belt type device pedalled furiously to generate the power to pump the fuel much to the satisfaction of customers

O-Conaire-statue-.jpg
    Caption: The Padraic Ó Conaire statue in Eyre Square Galway in the 1950s.

Galway-1960s-.jpg
    Caption: Williamsgate Street in Galway in the early 1960s

Eyre-Square-1955-.jpg
    Caption: Tofts Fun Fair in Eyre Square in the hot summer of 1955

5495248482_c6c8658a9d_b.jpg

I'm guessing 1984 based on the ad on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Some more oldies I unearthed:

2859292_f41d4262.jpg
    Prospect Hill looking towards Eyre Square 1985

5182496_9643c02f.jpg
    Eyre Square 1974

salthill.jpg?w=676
    Salthill 1930's

Galway-city-centre-early-1960s.jpg
    1960's traffic jam

DMvtcy7X4AARVCA.jpg
    Shop Street 1988

Galway%2Band%2BSalthill%2BTramway%2B4.jpg
    Trams in Galway

Salthill-50s-or-60s.jpg
    Salthill 1960's

eyre-square-B-16-9-63.jpg
    Eyre Square 1963... What is going on with all the trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

eyre-square-B-16-9-63.jpg
    Eyre Square 1963... What is going on with all the trees?[/quote]

Thanks for those. They’re great! I think the last one is 1961 - think I’ve seen it somewhere else - and the trees are left over following Debbie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

FatherTed wrote: »
    Some more oldies I unearthed:

2859292_f41d4262.jpg
    Prospect Hill looking towards Eyre Square

Zoom in on this one and you can see the buck rogers sign... tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Would anyone have any photos of 'The Cottage Shop' Knocknacarra? It was opposite the caravan park, a little thatched cottage-shop.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Hi all - does anyone know of any clear distinct images of any of the five swing bridges that were in situ on the Eglinton canal? I have come across a few images in various books but these tend to be images that are concentrating on something else and the bridge(s) per se are too far away in the distance to make any sense of their structure or how they operated. The bridges were probably opened very rarely by the time they were eventually replaced by fixed bridges in 1954.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭puffin24

Does anyone remember an American football themed restaurant that was open in the late 80s/ early 90s? May have been around church lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

puffin24 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember an American football themed restaurant that was open in the late 80s/ early 90s? May have been around church lane?

I think it was where the old Roaring 20's bar was in Abbeygate St. and was called "Superbowl"

It was more of a fast food joint and had American football helmets for light shades.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

I think it was where the old Roaring 20's bar was in Abbeygate St. and was called "Superbowl"

It was more of a fast food joint and had American football helmets for light shades.

T'was originally the front bar of Central Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭puffin24

Thats it! My fella is very happy, he last went there when he was 10 ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Robbo wrote: »
    Murray's.

I remember when ice-cream at Murrays was 2d ( two old pennies - 240 d = one £ )

eheu fugaces

Advertisement