Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

1930's footage of Eyre Square market. Not much but gives an idea of how common the shawl was.From 4.20 on youtube time.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6737PC4_Zv0

A little quiz.
    Across from DPL plumbing / Londis in Renmore.
    On the wall of Holy Family, can anyone identify what the original purpose of the opening shown in image was?

https://ibb.co/WGhkNV5

Andrea B. wrote: »
    A little quiz.
    Across from DPL plumbing / Londis in Renmore.
    On the wall of Holy Family, can anyone identify what the original purpose of the opening shown in image was?

https://ibb.co/WGhkNV5

No takers😀.
    It was to pass the lead coffins straight out of the TB hospital straight in to horsedrawn hearse.
    A frequent occurrence and saved undertakers time and exposure risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No takers😀.
    It was to pass the lead coffins straight out of the TB hospital straight in to horsedrawn hearse.
    A frequent occurrence and saved undertakers time and exposure risk.

Cool. When was the site a TB hospital?

Cool. When was the site a TB hospital?

It was known as the Woodlands Sanitorium. Until 1953 I guess, at which time Merlin Park took over.

Found it in 1911 census. Only the occupants initials and ailments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Geohive website should have a 1911 map of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Hi all - does anyone know of any clear distinct images of any of the five swing bridges that were in situ on the Eglinton canal? I have come across a few images in various books but these tend to be images that are concentrating on something else and the bridge(s) per se are too far away in the distance to make any sense of their structure or how they operated. The bridges were probably opened very rarely by the time they were eventually replaced by fixed bridges in 1954.

The late Maurice Semple Solicitor was a great historian of the Corrib and associated works known as the Corrib Navigation. Apart from his published books there may be some photos among his papers.

Maurice was a partner in Geraghtys in Eyre Square. They may be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

nuac wrote: »
    The late Maurice Semple Solicitor was a great historian of the Corrib and associated works known as the Corrib Navigation. Apart from his published books there may be some photos among his papers.

Maurice was a partner in Geraghtys in Eyre Square. They may be able to help

He wasn't a partner in Geraghtys. He had his own practice near the Courthouse. It's still there in name but they have no connection to his family.

It was known as the Woodlands Sanitorium. Until 1953 I guess, at which time Merlin Park took over.

Found it in 1911 census. Only the occupants initials and ailments.

That's an amazing fact. Many thanks. My grandfather died as a young man in Woodlands from TB in 1941. Amazing to think that he most likely went through that wall!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Some great images of Galways Co. of days gone in this video!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yX4m-r5UM4M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

nuac wrote:
    I remember when ice-cream at Murrays was 2d ( two old pennies - 240 d = one £ )

A 2d ice cream! You could get a 6d ice cream as well if memory serves correct. They'd open the block and cut it there and then and put it in wavers. Looking back, this must have been a pain in the asre to the shopkeeper having to do this. Especially for little brats like me.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    That's an amazing fact. Many thanks. My grandfather died as a young man in Woodlands from TB in 1941. Amazing to think that he most likely went through that wall!

Thanks again.

That is sad. Different cruel times. There was even a shame element attached by society as can be seen by initials-only on census returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

That is sad. Different cruel times. There was even a shame element attached by society as can be seen by initials-only on census returns.

It was initials only on many different types of residences that weren’t standard family homes - boarding schools, Garda stations, army barracks etc.

Miose wrote: »
    It was initials only on many different types of residences that weren’t standard family homes - boarding schools, Garda stations, army barracks etc.

Ok. Must be more specific than that though. I noticed that Renmore barracks had all the names in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

Ok. Must be more specific than that though. I noticed that Renmore barracks had all the names in full.

There are some notes on it here http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/searchproblems.html

bobbyss wrote: »
    A 2d ice cream! You could get a 6d ice cream as well if memory serves correct. They'd open the block and cut it there and then and put it in wavers. Looking back, this must have been a pain in the asre to the shopkeeper having to do this. Especially for little brats like me.

It is back a bit, but I think some of those icecreams were cones?
    A block might have cost a whole shilling ( 12 p ) and was for big spenders

?Cee?view wrote: »
    He wasn't a partner in Geraghtys. He had his own practice near the Courthouse. It's still there in name but they have no connection to his family.

Sorry,my mistake. I recall that he worked with the late George Geraghty at Eyre Square before going out on his own. He was a great historian of the Corrib

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Sorry,my mistake. I recall that he worked with the late George Geraghty at Eyre Square before going out on his own. He was a great historian of the Corrib

True enough. He was encyclopedic about the corrib and the canals but also covered a lot of the properties bounding both and the businesses within. A resource of information.

No problem. No need to be sorry. Yes, he worked there with Geraghtys while it was still Blakes. He then set up on his own and Geraghtys succeeded to Blakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

And there was me thknkin for years that the one on the left had just cut the leg off the one in the middle.

Nice article though and beautiful location.

And there was me thknkin for years that the one on the left had just cut the leg off the one in the middle.

Nice article though and beautiful location.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

A well know musician?

He busked to the queues at the Claddagh Palace Cinema throughout the 80's which is the relevance to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

Does anyone remember an old pub (no longer existing, I suppose) in William st. or Dominick st. Upper (I can't remember exactly which one, but it was on the right side going into town), whose owner was a supporter of Galway United (soccer), a poster of the team hanging behind the bar? I'm talking about 1992...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

navigator wrote: »
    Does anyone remember an old pub (no longer existing, I suppose) in William st. or Dominick st. Upper (I can't remember exactly which one, but it was on the right side going into town), whose owner was a supporter of Galway United (soccer), a poster of the team hanging behind the bar? I'm talking about 1992...

Currans?

Cartys?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Billy Walshes.

• Advertisement

Right side in to town was only Walshe's and Monroe's....I think.

Advertisement