Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

does anyone remember the tow hall (cinema)?
    you could smoke down the back and food fights were not unusal. someone told me there used to rats running about the place.i think the place has onl two screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Fuinseog wrote: »
    does anyone remember the tow hall (cinema)?
    you could smoke down the back and food fights were not unusal. someone told me there used to rats running about the place.i think the place has onl two screens.

Dunno if rats were just a rumour but the place was mank! It had 2 screens, no1 was fairly big with balcony seating & no2 was tiny. My main memory of there is getting coke in a glass bottle & the freshest bag of tayto cheese n onion ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Hope this doesnt get me in trouble, but I went to all the trouble of finding this article, scanning it etc, only to notice the other thread on Una Taaffe has been closed....annoying!

Anyway in the hope that my work aint in vain I thought this may be the most relevant place for the article that was printed in the Sunday Independent back in 1992. In it Una and her companion talk about her family history and Galway in the rare auld times...

Sorry to the mods if they consider it a continuation of the other thread...but it would be relevant to this one!

Article attached:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Sorry for the two posts, but found the missing section in the archives for some reason not included in the original, attached:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

dec25532 wrote: »
    Aah, who is the student that is all mouth at the beginning and sings happy birthday at the end. She is great. Where is she now, anybody?

Her name was Ger (Killeen??) and I think she was a med student-not 100% sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bobbybo

hi guys, if i can recommend website made by me

www.galwayhistory.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tomcat2

Great Thread As a kid I used to go on Holidays to Galway so for what it's worth I'm going to add in my fragmented memories. In the late 1970's Air Hockey,Pinball and Electromechanical entertainment was the main thing in Salthill amusements besides the eternal Slot Machines and Coin Slides.You could visit Leisure Land in 1978 before they modified it The swimming Pool was smaller then and a different shape.Lydons Bakery/Restauraunt was on the main street in Galway City Center near the Department Store Moons and the food was great.In July 1981 Ghost Town by the Specials was Number One in the charts That month a French Submarine surfaced in Galway harbour. The Rubix Cube was the big thing that summer,you could hire out large Tri-cycle or Quad-Cycle to go along Salthill promenade.You could buy a bag of sweets from the Bon Bon sweet shop on the corner near the Park with the Bandstand.You could visit the Amusements nearby with the Magic Mirrors outside Next to this was a Go Kart Track ? Arcade Video games where at the height of popularity Summer 1981 The new Leisureland, Claudes Amusements, Seapoint and the Silver Dollar had all the very best ones including Defender, Berzerk, Tempest and Gorf. You could meet the little man with the Monkeys and he would put one on your shoulder to get your photograph taken.The Galleon Restauraunt did great Hamburgers and Fries and there was another great little Cafe opposite Seapoint that did great food and Crusha Ice Cream Milkshakes.It's funny looking back now trying to remember these details For a 10 year old it was Mecca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ronniem

This is a picture taken on my mobile phone of Jury's hotel and the Claddagh Hall.

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ronniem wrote: »
    This is a picture taken on my mobile phone of Jury's hotel and the Claddagh Hall.

It certainly is, but were kinda looking for old pics of galway. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

thanks to all who replied to this post, spent the past 2.5 hours trolling thru the thread and experienced many emotions along the way, enjoyed every minute of it and here's my few memories that havent been mentioned so far

peter pan funworld

the old canteen upstairs in roches stores, can still remember the smell and visualise the fresh orange juicer machine, think it had had a twisty cueing system to get served (if i remember correctly), self service coke dispenser :)

one of the the gladiators opening the leisuredome

the minis doing the stunts in salthill car park every year

2fm beat on the street

the vic and the savoy for video games

snooker and pool hall in ballybane

padraics on the docks (cant believe after 17 pages nobody mentioned the early house)

currans bar on prospect hill (worst place i ever ended up for an early drink in life!!! lol)

the american hotel on prospect hill (went there for dinner after my confirmation)

liquid nightclub (formally the oasis but not mentioned once!!) where i thoroughly enjoyed my first taste of regular clubbing from 17 on, the bouncer Martin Murray from bohermore used to let me in even tho he knew my id was faked and thank you Martin

pulse fm that was broadcast from room no. 5 in the oslo hotel back in 1994/5 (cant remember which year exactly!)

madame bridget defo deserves a mention as she still braves the elements tellin fortunes to this day (heard recently that she tried to lift money from a friend of a friend who was at the pass machine one day day and he swung a slap at her for it, punchline was him screming at her she didnt see that comin hahaha!!!)

i had hoped nobody would mention the 4 wheeled yolks ya could go up and down the prom on but that went out the window a while back

the prodigy and the chemical brothers playing leisureland back in the 90's (well cool)

thats it for now anyway as it is very late but i do hope this reply brings back a memory or two for someone :)

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

Meemars wrote: »
    Pat's chipper on Fairhill road, anyone? Always a massive dog outside, Mural to the chipper's destruction is still up in Fr Burke park.

Ah yes! Courtneys (sp?), I remember it well. The parents were lovely, especially the father, Mick. I use to practically live there as a teenager. In later years they built a small restaurant in the back of the chipper and every teenager used to hang-out there. The chips were amazing! :)

Speaking of chip-shops, does anyone remember a small poky place up Quay Street about half-way on the right before Cross Street? The guy that ran it was quite a large man. It was a small diner place. I think the owner lived in at one stage in Walter Macken Flats in Mervue in later life.

I remember getting a free bag of chips in my Confirmation Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Elevator wrote: »
    padraics on the docks (cant believe after 17 pages nobody mentioned the early house)

Padraics ain't gone that long.

liquid nightclub (formally the oasis but not mentioned once!!)

Its mentioned a number of times.

padi89 wrote: »
    Padraics ain't gone that long.

its gone long enough for nobody to mention it

Its mentioned a number of times.

i read through the 17 pages in one sweep and i dont remember liquid being mentioned once, talks about oasis alright but no h2o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

On top of the page there is a option "Search this Thread".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

i read through the 17 pages in one sweep and i dont remember liquid being mentioned once, talks about oasis alright but no h2o

First post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61259513&highlight=liquid#post61259513

Magnus wrote: »
    On top of the page there is a option "Search this Thread".

so there is, cheers
    padi89 wrote: »

i stand corrected, in my defence it was late when i was reading it last night

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paddytheloaf

Gadfly wrote: »
    Ah yes! Courtneys (sp?), I remember it well. The parents were lovely, especially the father, Mick. I use to practically live there as a teenager. In later years they built a small restaurant in the back of the chipper and every teenager used to hang-out there. The chips were amazing! :)

Speaking of chip-shops, does anyone remember a small poky place up Quay Street about half-way on the right before Cross Street? The guy that ran it was quite a large man. It was a small diner place. I think the owner lived in at one stage in Walter Macken Flats in Mervue in later life.

I remember getting a free bag of chips in my Confirmation Day.

Was the owner of the Cross St. chipper Paddy Keating??
    He used to have a place in Prospect Hill, back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There was a program on RTE recently that feautured footage of Shop Street over the last 50 years.It was part of the series called On The Street Where You Live.It had interviews with different peole who have worked on Shop Street for many years about the changes they've seen in that time.I think it's available to watch on www.rte.ie/player if you search.I can't seem to link to it.

Some of more interesting footage is available here without you having to watch the whole show : http://www.rte.ie/tv/streets/prog2.html

I thought the1971 fire footage was amazing.Hard to imagine a fire on such a scale in Galway now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

chilly wrote: »
    There was a program on RTE recently that feautured footage of Shop Street over the last 50 years.It was part of the series called On The Street Where You Live.It had interviews with different peole who have worked on Shop Street for many years about the changes they've seen in that time.I think it's available to watch on www.rte.ie/player if you search.I can't seem to link to it.

Some of more interesting footage is available here without you having to watch the whole show : http://www.rte.ie/tv/streets/prog2.html

I thought the1971 fire footage was amazing.Hard to imagine a fire on such a scale in Galway now.

I saw that programme and thought it was great, it was the Galway I remember and I remember the fire. I could see the smoke from my home which was 10 miles outside the city centre.

I'll be returning to Galway for a visit next week so looking forward to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Hotwheels wrote: »
    Back then it was safe to play in the Plotts, now its full of Drunks & Druggies, We used to get big cardboard boxes and slide down the hill :D, better than any big slide...

I used to play in the Plotts too...sad to hear it has gone that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mike kelly

churchview wrote: »
    • We uncovered the vice-like grip which illegal moneylenders had on hundreds of families by preying on areas like Ballinfoile, Castle Park and Rahoon – our in-depth investigation later formed the basis for an RTE Today Tonight special.

That was hilarious, a highlight of 80's TV in Ireland :D One of Galway's now "respectable" auctioneers/businessmen being chased across O'Brien's Bridge by a reporter and camerman. Classic Stuff!

and his name is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jfinlan

Best one I saw at the Claddagh Palace was when 'My Left Foot' and 'Twins' were showing at the same time. Someone changed it to 'My Left Tit'. Wish I got a picture...

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The claddagh stored the letters in a box over the roof and you can see the box lid was open on the top right . Right of "Nun"

I got up there one night on me way home from Salthill ( pished) and changed Rambo to Ramboredsheep and I dropped a few letters on the ground along the way where they smashed . They are welcome to sue me of course :D

The best one I heard of was when someone changed the movie title "Cry Of The Innocent" to "Oh ***k Me" .

I remember that Stella cafe myth. The version I heard was, you go in and ask for 'A cup of tea and a red box of matches'. I actually just thought of that today and googled the phrase and found your comment. We were always daring each other in school to go in and say it but I was far too chicken. I wonder was there any truth in it? I also remember Brambles. Didn't go there a whole lot though. Did you know Diggers?

James
    Foxerella wrote: »
    I used to go to a cafe called Brambles opposite the Abbey Church to meet chicks. There would be 27 of us at one table drinking a Coke with 27 straws.

:) Oh I remember it well... and the murals downstairs.
    What about the Stella Cafe, and you could ask for a red box of matches

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

jfinlan wrote: »
    Best one I saw at the Claddagh Palace was when 'My Left Foot' and 'Twins' were showing at the same time. Someone changed it to 'My Left Tit'. Wish I got a picture...
    I'm sure someone's already posted it here, but I recently came across a photo where the films were "On The Horn" and "**** A Nun".

What's all this box of red matches business?

Hi there

The rumour was that the Stella Cafe was a brothel. Apparently, the codeword was 'a cup of tea and a box of matches'. I'm sure it was just something some kids invented...
    Robbo wrote: »
    I'm sure someone's already posted it here, but I recently came across a photo where the films were "On The Horn" and "**** A Nun".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Robbo wrote: »

I posted the photo a while back, my dad took it way back in the day! Has always been a family favourite!
    Here it is again for anyone who missed it :)
    6255_1113982330259_1247948717_30408780_97483_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paddytheloaf

mike kelly wrote: »
    I used to play in the Plotts too...sad to hear it has gone that way
    That hill was part of the old railway line that ran from Galway to Clifden.
    I played football in The Plots....Great playing surface and it hosted the Woodquay Fives.
    Tommy Keane created quite a buzz when he played there after he had signed for Bournemouth.
    Great auld times.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

That hill was part of the old railway line that ran from Galway to Clifden.
    I played football in The Plots....Great playing surface and it hosted the Woodquay Fives.
    Tommy Keane created quite a buzz when he played there after he had signed for Bournemouth.
    Great auld times.....

Different times, different times.
    Galway was good back then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

bobbybo wrote: »
    hi guys, if i can recommend website made by me

www.galwayhistory.info

Great website!
    Best of luck with it

Advertisement