Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai Speed Traps 'Hiding in Ditches' -Caught Today.

Options
  • 26-09-2008 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Around 815/830am this morning on Prosperous - Kilmeague(Kildare) road well after the Prosperous GAA club junction I had a motor bike Garda (in the black leathers with not a hint of high viz yellow and this in the barely post dawn darkness on a foggy enough morning ) jump out in front of me waving me to halt .I assumed there was a crash up ahead or something serious like an escaped prisoner on the loose or something ,seriously!He informed me that he had caught me on his hand held speed camera doing well over the 50kmh limit 'back the road' .Now I admit I WAS doing well over 50kmh but NOT well over the 80kmh limit that is in place on every 'secondary' country road in Ireland and was in place at the point he was hiding (but not 'back the road' obviously) .
    I felt aggrieved because :
    1 I reckon there is a VERY good chance the 'gun' was showing at least 5 kmh more than I was actually doing .I am VERY atuned to the speed Im driving as far as is humanly possible -you have to be nowadays -your attention is as much on the potential hiding spots of the 'Traps' as other hazards..And I am aware that the cars speedo usually over reads by at least a few kmh .
    2 This must be one of the horrible towns where there is no (or a very short) 60 kmh 'transition' zone and an interminably long 50kmh zone -is Kildavin /Kildangan the name of a town near Athy with a similar limit that goes on FOREVER?) .There were no houses for hundreds of yards or more behind me .He claimed he had recorded me 140 yards (yes he actually claimed that level of accuracy!) behind the 'town limits' at the point he recorded my speed.I knew Kilmeague was a former fave spot for the Traffic Corps but never saw a Garda in prosperous in my life....
    3 I was going more than 60% over the posted limit "allegedly'(!)...as such wasnt I at risk of a court appearance and likely severe penalty...?I reckon hed have to have some neck to summons someone under the circumstances he 'caught' me .There was no hard shoulder, the road I was on is practically, if not literally 'out in the countryside'.He told me to pull in to the left as much as possible but I was still stopping all the traffic coming behind me .
    4 I have been trying to get a form stamped in a Garda station for the last fortnight and every one I go to is shut whenever I visit !!!Its like they are becoming a secret society or something!All hiding in ditches ???
    5 Quite a few people I spoke to at work today had stories of being caught by 'hidden' police recently.They obviously are on a serious revenue increasing exercise .The days of scanning ahead to see the yellow jackets are obviously gone ...youre wasting your time now at that .Visual deterent how are ya !?
    6 So I now have two points on my licence ,so what ?Am I now meant to drive like a nun having got my slap on the wrists .I have a 2 hour daily commute which would be 30 mins longer if I stopped driving 'a bit over the limit '-say 10-15 kmh (less than 10mph in old money !!!)I would need the guts of an an extra hour I reckon if I were to drive comletely UNDER the limit .Lifes too short .Thats five hours a week less with my babies ,maybe 50% less time Mon -Fri!!!

Must be a curse for someone on 10 points ...Any way just a word of warning to you ...they are getting desperate .I wouldnt mind but theyve already sucked all the pleasure out of driving in the last 5 -10 years .Happy, distant memories the days when you could do well over 100 mph on a daily basis unmolested .They would lock you up now and probably have you on the Nine O Clock news as well if they caught you nowadays. Its depressing ...Ah well ....CAUGHT after 15 years ,ironically the last of which I have been driving the slowest ever .
    Sorry for the rant ...oldest story in the book I suppose ,caught right at the town limits ...Beware !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Speeding in this country costs you less than throwing a gum in the street.
    Try to understand...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Oh my god the Gardai are actually out doing their job!!!

Surely they should be sitting in stations stamping forms :rolleyes:

As they say its 50km/hr for a reason.

*waiting for the "my car has abs brakes, that one doesnt" reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What exactly is going on here?
    Broke the law, Caught.
    Simple enough.
    Kippy

ya, have never seen one of these type of threads before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Thanks OP, warning taken. I shall endeavour to obey the speed limits from this day forward.

PS. I hope you get nailed to the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

If you stayed within the speed limits you would not know they were "hiding" and waiting for you. Tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

"Speeding in this country costs you less than throwing a gun in the street.
    Try to understand..."

No I dont understand ...Throwing a GUN???!!!

As for the sarcastic 'mod' ...Did you not read the post ...?I was 'caught' well past any place a human might be likely to appear -even a child carrying a watering can as in your informative video.By the way that particular advertising and enforcement campaign-Dont Drive the Extra 5 (mph) was scuppered by both the soul destroying ,mind numbing boredom of having to drive for long stretches at under 30mph and by the hypocrisy of UK police chiefs being caught at well over these limits and 'squashing ' their own summonses/tickets .Obviously INSIDE the town -this one in particular,Prosperous- you could be driving at 30-40 kmh for safety and common sense reasons...but well beyond the last house/shop/club etc its pointless (except for avoiding the revenue generators...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It was dark, it was foggy, you were speeding. Sorry OP, what kind of reaction are you hoping for here?

OT but reminds me of the lady killed on the N7 last year or possibly the year before. She drove into the back of a fire engine in heavy fog and killed herself. But the family blamed the government for not having electronic displays for warnings. Everyones fault but the driver

Also, a 2 hour commute is madness and no wonder you are angry and stressed. Sort that out if you can.

What a shower of sanctimonious *****!I dont know which is more sickening the fact that you lot NEVER break the limit(thats got to put you in a minority of at most 5%) or are hypocritical enough to post on here suggesting that you dont when you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Nobody here is saying they don't. What they are saying is you did so suck it down!

• Advertisement

ytareh wrote: »
    I was 'caught' well past any place a human might be likely to appear

Well the Gard was there and you never saw him.

Could easilly have been a farmer, elderly person out for a walk.

Maybe the locals have written to the gardai asking for speed checks on that stretch because of regular speeding drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

What a shower of sanctimonious *****!I dont know which is more sickening the fact that you lot NEVER break the limit(thats got to put you in a minority of at most 5%) or are hypocritical enough to post on here suggesting that you dont when you do.

Speed limits are law.
    Break the law, and get caught - then you pay the price.

I obey the law, and drive at the speed limit. :D

OP,
    If every mofo in this country came onto this forum and posted a similiar post about getting caught breaking a speed limit, no matter what the circumstances, they would get similiar replies. It doesnt mean that those who reply keep within the law at all times.
    Kippy

PS - The two hour commute is crazy and must add to your frustrations more than anything, while I appreciate that it does not give you the right to moan about getting caught speeding.
    Kippy

Why should I not moan about getting caught speeding ....its an internet forum for God's sake people moan about all human life here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Is this a Motors forum or a "lets suck up to Gaybo and be an even bigger a**hole and PC nut than he is" forum I am reading?

The type of posting going on in this thread is extremely worrying for a forum that is supposed to be about cars.

It is political correctness gone mental.

The OP broke the law. Has he murdered someone? Has he even assaulted someone? No so so what? You'd swear the OP had done something truly awful:rolleyes: such is the hard time he has been getting.

Cars are safer than ever before. They do a better job of slowing people down then they have ever done, and if you are unfortunate to have an accident you'll be protected by enough airbags to float in water and ultra stiff bodyshells and god only knows what else modern cars have these days.

Therefore the only reasonable conclusion is that we should be allowed go faster as cars are safer, as one would expect with the progress of time.

But of course the PC nutter types don't want to know, because all they want to do is to make the motorist's life miserable and of course are suffering from plenty of good old Schadenfreude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

P.C. wrote: »
    Speed limits are law.
    Break the law, and get caught - then you pay the price.

I obey the law, and drive at the speed limit. :D
    Thats great for you. Just great.
    Thanks for telling all of us that you never ever break the speed limit. Ever.
    You must be one in a million.
    Congratulations!
    Its quite an achievement.

E92 wrote: »
    Is this a Motors forum or a "lets suck up to Gaybo and be an even bigger a**hole and PC nut than he is" forum I am reading?

The type of posting going on in this thread is extremely worrying for a forum that is supposed to be about cars.

It is political correctness gone mental.

The OP broke the law. Has he murdered someone? Has he even assaulted someone? No so so what? You'd swear the OP had done something truly awful:rolleyes: such is the hard time he has been getting.

Cars are safer than ever before. They do a better job of slowing people down then they have ever done, and if you are unfortunate to have an accident you'll be protected by enough airbags to float in water and ultra stiff bodyshells and god only knows what else modern cars have these days.

Therefore the only reasonable conclusion is that we should be allowed go faster as cars are safer, as one would expect with the progress of time.

But of course the PC nutter types don't want to know, because all they want to do is to make the motorist's life miserable and of course are suffering from plenty of good old Schadenfreude.
    He broke a law, yeah, he hasnt killed anyone yeah, so why does he bother posting here in the first place if it isnt such a big deal?

So we should be allowed to go faster because cars can go faster? I didnt check but the human body didnt suddenly get built in crumple zones in case a speeding driver ploughed into them.....

It's people like you that give motorists a bad name....
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Chief--- wrote: »

As they say its 50km/hr for a reason.

I found this ad drove the point home even better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

"Speeding in this country costs you less than throwing a gun in the street.
    Try to understand..."

No I dont understand ...Throwing a GUN???!!!

As for the sarcastic 'mod' ...Did you not read the post ...?I was 'caught' well past any place a human might be likely to appear -even a child carrying a watering can as in your informative video.By the way that particular advertising and enforcement campaign-Dont Drive the Extra 5 (mph) was scuppered by both the soul destroying ,mind numbing boredom of having to drive for long stretches at under 30mph and by the hypocrisy of UK police chiefs being caught at well over these limits and 'squashing ' their own summonses/tickets .Obviously INSIDE the town -this one in particular,Prosperous- you could be driving at 30-40 kmh for safety and common sense reasons...but well beyond the last house/shop/club etc its pointless (except for avoiding the revenue generators...)

I fully understand you OP.
    this is just another example of "goodeys" which are wrecking this forum with their goody good doing :D:D

Now i ll just wait untill they start on me:D

kippy wrote: »
    So we should be allowed to go faster because cars can go faster? I didnt check but the human body didnt suddenly get built in crumple zones in case a speeding driver ploughed into them.....

Of course we should be allowed go faster.

Cars are better at protecting us then ever before, therefore it is only logical to conclude that it is safer to go faster.

Oh and since you mentioned cars "ploughing" into other people, you're obviously unaware of the fact that all recent cars have pedestrian safety regulations to get by, making them far better at absorbing pedestrians should they hit any too, i.e. safer to go faster.

The TV ads as posted are a joke, especially the Nissan Sunny at "35 mph" because although it may be inconvenient for some, it does not have ABS, and surprise surprise having ABS makes a significant difference for stopping distance, and modern cars have much bigger and therefore better braking systems, so the 21 ft thing is an exaggeration to be kind about it.

Anyway this whole speeding rubbish is just an excuse to inflict misery on the motorist(by forcing us to go slower than we actually need to), to rob more of our money(as is evident by the fact that the overwhelming majority of speed cameras are on motorways and dual carriageways in other words the safest roads in the country)and if going fast/speeding etc is so bad as your propoganda makes it out to be then why did we decide as recently as Wednesday to change around 300 km of road to 120 km/h instead of 100?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

Ok ye i understand, noone around, you give it a bit more wellie.

What i hate though is when IM doing the speed limit, and someone behind me has intentions of breaking it and trying to push me on. Bugs me big time

Of course we should be allowed go faster.

Cars are better at protecting us then ever before, therefore it is only logical to conclude that it is safer to go faster.

Oh and since you mentioned cars "ploughing" into other people, you're obviously unaware of the fact that all recent cars have pedestrian safety regulations to get by, making them far better at absorbing pedestrians should they hit any too, i.e. safer to go faster.

The TV ads as posted are a joke, especially the Nissan Sunny at "35 mph" because although it may be inconvenient for some, it does not have ABS, and surprise surprise having ABS makes a significant difference for stopping distance, and modern cars have much bigger and therefore better braking systems, so the 21 ft thing is an exaggeration to be kind about it.

Anyway this whole speeding rubbish is just an excuse to inflict misery on the motorist(by forcing us to go slower than we actually need to), to rob more of our money(as is evident by the fact that the overwhelming majority of speed cameras are on motorways and dual carriageways in other words the safest roads in the country)and if going fast/speeding etc is so bad as your propoganda makes it out to be then why did we decide as recently as Wednesday to change around 300 km of road to 120 km/h instead of 100?

All of your arguments are extremely flawed and narrow minded and do not take into account 3 very important items,
    1. Human nature.
    2. Road quality.
    3. Driving conditions.

You also assume that everyone drives a car which is pedestrian friendly and is loaded with safety features, while failing to recognise the fact that the majority of motorists do not.

I'll again reiterate the point that humans still havent had a piece of equipment built in that saves their asses if hit by a moving vehicle.

Reclassifying a dual carriageway road built to that standard ( a road which by the way has extra regulations applying to it to increase safety) has got nothing to do with this topic.

I've seen and heard of enough accidents in this country to realise how much of an impact they have on families, communities, for the sake of some person either take risks or try save a couple of minutes on a relatively short journey to give short shift to those who complain about the Gardai doing their job.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

LOL. So just because the car 'absorbs' the pedestrian on impact, that doesnt change the fact that they've just been hit by a possibly 4500kg vehicle at 30+mph. Something like 135,000 newtons of force hitting a person? I'm fairly sure thats enough to crush quite a few bones, and organs. Also then of course, they're not going to stay still when the person absorbes 135,000 newtons of force, are they? So that'll cause more damage..

Cars are better at protecting the people on the inside of it more than ever. It's logical to conclude, that the cars are being re-designed to be safer this way. It's logical to conclude they're being re-designed this way because there's a need for it. It's logical to conclude there's a lot of crashes on the roads. It's logical to conclude the need for it is there's fatalities in crashes, thus needing more safety. It's logical to conclude that if there was no need, it wouldn't have happened. Thus, it's logical to conclude you should slow the hell down, not drive faster. You probably don't realise it, but when cars are tested for safety levels, they're driven into walls, at very high speed, using crash test dummies. They're not driven into people.

The fact a car crumples more is great, it is. That only helps the people in the car though. Basic physics, every force has an equal and opposite reaction. The car causes X newtons of force on the pedestrian it crashes into. The pedestrian also causes X newtons of force on the car. These forces are the same. The car, can crumple - why? It's built to do that to protect the people inside. The human body, can not crumple - why? It's not built to be hit by vehicles at high speed.

It's people like you that cause accidents with the bull you come out with and convince yourself is right. Please cop on before you kill someone, or the crap you pass on, that someone believes, does.

Thanks E92 and Bobo ...I was beginning to wonder if Id posted on the wrong forum ...why do these other people post on the Motors forum ....?What interest do they have in cars and driving ?Perplexes me completely.

Thanks E92 and Bobo ...I was beginning to wonder if Id posted on the wrong forum ...why do these other people post on the Motors forum ....?What interest do they have in cars and driving ?Perplexes me completely.

Ones that don't involve whinging about getting caught breaking the law, perhaps?

Dear God Challengemaster do you know ANYTHING about Physics other than a few units ....?4500kg ???The average car weighs about a quarter of that ....Where did the 135000 Newtons come from ???You didnt actually multiply(30)mph by (4500)kg did ya ???!!!Mixing metric and imperial units ???!!!
    To use your favourite phrase "It is safe to conclude" you dont have a clue what you are talking about .Next time try your 'impressive' use of arbitrary physics on some one who didnt study it for 6 years !

Dear God Challengemaster do you know ANYTHING about Physics other than a few units ....?4500kg ???The average car weighs about a quarter of that ....Where did the 135000 Newtons come from ???You didnt actually multiply(30)mph by (4500)kg did ya ???!!!Mixing metric and imperial units ???!!!
    To use your favourite phrase "It is safe to conclude" you dont have a clue what you are talking about .Next time try your 'impressive' use of arbitrary physics on some one who didnt study it for 6 years !
    Fair play, pick up on the one part of the post that has the figures wrong, what about the rest of it and the rest of the other posts......

Moving on-
    You expect, that since this is the motors forum, and not the pedestrian one for example, that we'll all side with you on this one and say how hard done by you were, wage a war with the powah etc etc???
    Jaysus, that'd be great. A place for people who got caught speeding to post and have others reply in order to make them feel better and have a bit of a beatch about the money grabbing Gardai. I doubt the forum would remain open too long if that were the format for such posts.

Theres a bit here on pedestrian safety:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian_safety
    Kippy

You also assume that everyone drives a car which is pedestrian friendly and is loaded with safety features, while failing to recognise the fact that the majority of motorists do not.

And you're assuming that cars and road infrastructure have just stayed stuck in a time warp. Anyone remember how many deaths we had back in the 1960s when cars weren't anything like as fast and we didn't have anything like as many cars on the road? How do you explain that one?

You'd swear we're in some kind of epidemic at the moment that the roads have never been more dangerous and that somehow we've gone from great to bad even though last year we had the second lowest fatality rate in 40 years on our roads:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Not that I'm saying that we should pretend that everything is now wonderful and we can all act like idiots because things are that much better, but I wish people would realise the reality of the situation. The trouble with the PC type is that no amount of progress is good enough for them, they keep shifting the goal posts, a bit like a rainbow you think you're near the end but never actually reach it. It's being made out that things have never been so awful on our roads recently.
    Reclassifying a dual carriageway road built to that standard ( a road which by the way has extra regulations applying to it to increase safety) has got nothing to do with this topic.

Of course it doesn't because you know it undermines your flawed logic that going faster = more deaths instantly and you don't like that.
    I've seen and heard of enough accidents in this country to realise how much of an impact they have on families, communities, for the sake of some person either take risks or try save a couple of minutes on a relatively short journey to give short shift to those who complain about the Gardai doing their job.
    Kippy

Why are only 4% of deaths in the UK as a result of speeding, and why do German autobahns without a speed limit have exactly the same fatality rate as those with a speed limit(and some are as low as 60 km/h btw) then? Why do the Japanese have 4 times the fatality rate on theor Motorways that the Germans do, even though theirs have a limit of only 100 km/h, and as JC showed us in Top Gear they are littered with speed cameras?

Believe me I'm as concerned about reducing road deaths as the next person. I have made many proposals on this forum before.

I'm just not a fool and then don't believe and then support every bit of Government propaganda ad naseum, particularly propaganda that I firmly believe won't achieve the stated aim.

If we all used the eyes, brains and ears God gave us properly and didn't drive in such a cavilier fashion like we currently do then we would achieve a helluva lot more than making people slow down.

And you're assuming that cars and road infrastructure have just stayed stuck in a time warp. Anyone remember how many deaths we had back in the 1960s when cars weren't anything like as fast and we didn't have anything like as many cars on the road? How do you explain that one?

You'd swear we're in some kind of epidemic at the moment that the roads have never been more dangerous and that somehow we've gone from great to bad even though last year we had the second lowest fatality rate in 40 years on our roads:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Not that I'm saying that we should pretend that everything is now wonderful and we can all act like idiots because things are that much better, but I wish people would realise the reality of the situation. The trouble with the PC type is that no amount of progress is good enough for them, they keep shifting the goal posts, a bit like a rainbow you think you're near the end but never actually reach it. It's being made out that things have never been so awful on our roads recently.

Of course it doesn't because you know it undermines your flawed logic that going faster = more deaths instantly and you don't like that.

Why are only 4% of deaths in the UK as a result of speeding, and why do German autobahns without a speed limit have exactly the same fatality rate as those with a speed limit(and some are as low as 60 km/h btw) then? Why do the Japanese have 4 times the fatality rate on theor Motorways that the Germans do, even though theirs have a limit of only 100 km/h, and as JC showed us in Top Gear they are littered with speed cameras?

Believe me I'm as concerned about reducing road deaths as the next person. I have made many proposals

I'm just not a fool and then don't believe and then support every bit of Government propaganda ad naseum, particularly propaganda that I firmly believe won't achieve the stated aim.

If we all used the eyes, brains and ears God gave us properly and didn't drive in such a cavilier fashion like we currently do then we would achieve a helluva lot more than making people slow down.
    Listen,
    I aint disagreeing with you in the main, but the simple fact of the matter is that people dont use their eyes brains and ears as they should when in a car. If they did, I would suggest that our accident rates would be nil.
    If limits were not in place in built up areas people would continue in general to go through them at excessive speed. You know that and I know that. To protect the people in these areas limits have to be put in place and enforced. End of. We all live by them, if we get caught breaking them we pay the fine and get the feck over it, maybe having learned a lesson, maybe not.
    Kippy

• Advertisement

Snap, you caught me out there. So it's been a little while since I've brushed up on force and momentum, and its units.

Yet you completely ignored the point of my post. Impressive how stuck in your ways you are.

Advertisement