Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai turning blind eye?

Options
  • 26-09-2008 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Are the Gardai turning blind eye in our region?
    For the last number of weeks I and others have witnessed a garage owner speeding past a school at getting home time whilst driving a Merc, a Van and a bus at different times and all times was talking on a mobile phone. Just past the school is the GARDA STATION, but this is no different for him, he keeps speeding talking on his phone and has no regard for any other road users let alone the children getting out of school...
    by the way I live 10 miles from Shercock, 15 miles from Cavan 15 miles from Monaghan. Guess where we have Gardai who dont enforce REAL laws, which WILL save peoples lives?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

What about reporting the drivers you describe? I don;t know the station you are on about but just because you don;t see them enforcing the law does not mean they are not enforcing the law. There are many things people do not see what Gardai do but are always quick to make assumptions. Not putting you in this category but just an obsversation I have amde since being on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

TheNog wrote: »
    What about reporting the drivers you describe? I don;t know the station you are on about but just because you don;t see them enforcing the law does not mean they are not enforcing the law. There are many things people do not see what Gardai do but are always quick to make assumptions. Not putting you in this category but just an obsversation I have amde since being on boards.ie

Yes I have reported and even shown video on my mobile to the Gardai, but they still ignore it. But then again there is one road where we live where you cant turn left on to, but I have witnessed the local squad car turning left on it on numerous occasions and even whilst using the phone (and no-they were not on a shout- they were on their way for lunch)! So if we cant rely on the Gardai to uphold the laws then we surely cant expect them to ENFORCE the laws..
    Im sorry if I sound like Im running down the Gardai in general, but Im not,,,,Im only stating a FACT about the Gardai in this area and a few bad motorists..after all, the laws are there for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

muincav wrote: »
    Yes I have reported and even shown video on my mobile to the Gardai, but they still ignore it.

How do you know that this person in particular has not already been convicted for no insurance? It is a possibility is it not. They could even be driving while disqualified. Happens all the time.
    But then again there is one road where we live where you cant turn left on to, but I have witnessed the local squad car turning left on it on numerous occasions and even whilst using the phone

I am a Garda myself (not stationed in Cavan) and it is in road traffic law that we can break some traffic laws which would not create an immediate danger to other road users. We are also allowed to use the mobile phones while driving.
    (and no-they were not on a shout- they were on their way for lunch)! So if we cant rely on the Gardai to uphold the laws then we surely cant expect them to ENFORCE the laws..
    Im sorry if I sound like Im running down the Gardai in general, but Im not,,,,Im only stating a FACT about the Gardai in this area and a few bad motorists..after all, the laws are there for a reason!

How do you know they are not on a call? Not every call demands a blues and twos response. I can tell you are frustrated but you do not know for sure when a patrol car is responding to an incident or not. Fact is you do not know what a garda is doing when you see him/her driving down the road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If it were me, I'd go to the Garda and ask that my report be recorded as I felt someone was going to get killed outside a school and I want something done about it. This may pressure the Garda to get a little more active over these incidents. If the you feel nothing is being done keep honestly stressing your concerns and maybe follow it up with the Sergeant-in-Charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

If it were me, I'd go to the Garda and ask that my report be recorded as I felt someone was going to get killed outside a school and I want something done about it. This may pressure the Garda to get a little more active over these incidents. If the you feel nothing is being done keep honestly stressing your concerns and maybe follow it up with the Sergeant-in-Charge.

I am in my forties(hate saying that..lol) and this one guy in particular has been a law unto himself as long as I can remember, and I have never read about any conviction on him, which would be in the local rag....which makes me wonder still, WHY NOT? If you seen the way this guy behaves you too would be wondering what to do...

also I didnt know Garda were permitted to us mobiles whilst driving- and I know the local garda were not on a call, because twice I pulled in to the same Hotel they did for lunch...

• Advertisement
Advertisement