Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband on the Train!

Options
  • 26-09-2008 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I am planning on commuting to Dublin from Roscommon 2 days a week. I need to be able to access the Internet while on Train. Does anyone do this at present and if so, which provider has the best coverage on the Dublin - Westport line?

Would you recommend Vodafone or O2

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I suppose you dont happen to have an iphone by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mobile Internet works. There isn't any Mobile Broadband for the Train. Oddly I've used the O2 Irish PHONE sim + Modem in Mainland Europe on train. My Modem's SIM wouldn't work abroad.

Only some Irish carriages have electricity. Hope your laptop battery is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I used my phone XDA Orbit II(On O2) Data Concection all the way from Galway to Dublin and only lost the connection twice.

I was dialled into my office computer using Logmein so it needed a steady connection and constant IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

I've used the O2 modem on the Cork > Galway CityLink bus and it's grand so long as reception is. As far as I remember i'd problems at one point in the middle of nowhere, but i'd guess that to simply be a regional reception issue rather than due to being on a moving vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I use 02 from Castlebar to Dub a fair bit. I have used Voda in the past but its mostly GPRS until you hit Dublin, which is a pain. i would go with O2, its at least EDGE all the way and 3G going through all the stations.

I have also used Three, and I just wouldnt even bother to tell you what that was like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

o2 does pretty well on that line.

Advertisement