Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What to look for in a plasma tv?

• 26-09-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im planning to get 42inch plasma tv forour sitting room, the room is plenty big so the size wont be a problem.
    Have a budget plan of €1500 hopefully to spend so was just wondering what kind of spec should i be looking for in choosing my tv?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Panasonic are probably the best brand in medium range Plasma screens and there are several available in that price bracket.

http://allianceelectric.ie/plasmalcd.htm

Were you planning on using it for terrestrial TV, Sky Digital, Sky HD, or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

you can get a 50inch full hd 100hz in pcworld for about 850 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

I very much doubt that. I bought a fullHD 32" on special in Currys for €750, a fullHD 50" would be nearer the 2K mark.

Anyway weren't you banned before for posting random bull**** and this smells of it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

whan i was in pcworld last weak thay had a 50inch for about 900 to 1100 and thats what i looked at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

thanks for the advice
    id be using it for watching sports mainly and dvds,
    but my girlfriend would be watching normal tv shows

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

xbox36016 wrote: »
    whan i was in pcworld last weak thay had a 50inch for about 900 to 1100 and thats what i looked at
    Bit of a change from the €850? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

byte wrote: »
    Bit of a change from the €850? :confused:

Ignore the troll. He's been on several threads throughout Boards posting random comments. As far as I recall he was also banned recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If you're willing to buy online you can get a full HD 1080p Panasonic on Komplette for a smidgen over a grand.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Ashfield wrote: »
    thanks for the advice
    id be using it for watching sports mainly and dvds,
    but my girlfriend would be watching normal tv shows

If you watching normal TV, rather than HDTV you might be better off getting a 720p set. Unless you have an absolutely perfect signal, standard definition TV can look pretty poor on a 1080p screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

If you watching normal TV, rather than HDTV you might be better off getting a 720p set. Unless you have an absolutely perfect signal, standard definition TV can look pretty poor on a 1080p screen.

These days I would say 1080p all the way , and given that its a plasma were talking about here , which handle SD way better than LCD , I'd be even more inclined to recommend 1080p.

Plasmas have some funny resolutions when you drop to HD ready range , note that almost no TV has a native 1280 x 720p resolution , and resolutions like 1024 x 768 can cause havoc with some sources , it also gives very small screen real estate if you hook up a PC , so Id recommend 1080p all the way , almost any source can handle that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

mathias wrote: »
    These days I would say 1080p all the way , and given that its a plasma were talking about here , which handle SD way better than LCD , I'd be even more inclined to recommend 1080p.

Plasmas have some funny resolutions when you drop to HD ready range , note that almost no TV has a native 1280 x 720p resolution , and resolutions like 1024 x 768 can cause havoc with some sources , it also gives very small screen real estate if you hook up a PC , so Id recommend 1080p all the way , almost any source can handle that.

+1

I don't see the reason for 720p/768p TVs as the price for 1080p TVs has come down drastically in the last few years. Whatever happens, HD will be used eventually and if not, there is always the option of connecting your PC to it too. A TV is an investment, and will most likely not be replaced within 2 years, so I say future-proof yourself. I always believe that if you buy cheap, you buy twice.

Advertisement