Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Singapore - Amazing

• 26-09-2008 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Just watched the practice. . .circuit looks amazing and the whole atmosphere is a bit surreal.

Cannot wait for the race now.

Reminds me so much of the night tracks in Gran Turismo ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the drivers said the lights made it like daylight... so.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

With all the floodlights around the track it's hardly a night race. But it's something different, hope it will be a nice race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Well it didn't disappoint! I thought Singapore was one of the best races I've seen in years.

Frank Williams reckons it could rival Monaco and I think he's right. The atmosphere was electric and the gruelling +2 hour race was a real test. Watching Trulli & Coulthard drenched in sweat over the weekend reminded me of why these guys should be paid so much.

Incredible stuff! Fantastic race.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rua1972 wrote: »
    With all the floodlights around the track it's hardly a night race. But it's something different, hope it will be a nice race.

Pitch darkness and have the cars fitted with spots for next seasons race.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Make it like LeMans 24hr. 2 lights front and back and forget the floodlights. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dont bother with the lights ;) Just a sh*tload of candles along the sides of the track! :D fun fun fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Ah, but if it rains then the candles go out and there's no light to let us see the ensueing carnage :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Well, just waiting to board my flight back to BKK after the GP weekend. Some great viewing spots around the track. But, unfortunately I spent money on stand seats in the Upper Bay Grandstand. Couldn't see the track, couldn't read the writing on the TV screens & unless you rented a portable TV you couldn't really hear the commentary! Good atmos though & I did manage to see Piquet's crash.

If anyone's planning next year... AVOID the Upper Bay Grandstand, It looks good on paper but it isn't. I'll probably go again next year but I'll be alot more careful booking my seats :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I see Ferarri used a lollipop man for Massa's last stop, Its definately time to get rid of their traffic lights. Why makes things over complicated? I was very disappointed for him, good chance he'd have won it.
    In both Massa's problem stop and Coultard's problem stop it looks like the fault lay with the driver being given the signal to leave before he should, Coultards lollipop man lifted the lollipop but put it back down again, I'm sure a driver is so focused on that, as soon as it budges he's off.
    Ferarri have said that a release button was pressed by a pit crew member before it should, again giving the driver the go ahead.
    I suppose that everything was on the other side of the car to usual probably threw things out aswell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Although you still get human error with the lollipop getting raised too soon, as with Couthard, the lollipop can be smashed back down on the drivers hear a moment later once they realise their feck up before the car gets too far away. Unless they come up with some way of dropping the traffic lights onto the drivers head as well for such situations then it will never work.

Was funny though.

• Advertisement

I watched the race on setanta, trough the homepage of eircom. But it wasn't 100 % Picture went on pause, sometimes even black. While the sound still kept going. After the first stops it was a lot beter, But i still missed the pitstop action. Suddenly a picture of massa at the end of the pit. But from what i did see it was a nice race, maybe because of the SC but still... Good to see Alonso win again, the seventh racewinner this year. Good drive from Rosberg, coming second with a stop and go penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

rua1972 wrote: »
    I watched the race on setanta, trough the homepage of eircom. But it wasn't 100 % Picture went on pause, sometimes even black. While the sound still kept going. After the first stops it was a lot beter, But i still missed the pitstop action. Suddenly a picture of massa at the end of the pit. But from what i did see it was a nice race, maybe because of the SC but still... Good to see Alonso win again, the seventh racewinner this year. Good drive from Rosberg, coming second with a stop and go penalty.

just point of interest, if u have Sky, you can tune in ITV manually so u can watch and avoid those issues! ;)

I have a antenna. And i can recieve 4 channels. So for Formula 1 i rely on internet. Usually it works fine until yesterday. I'm hoping to find digital tv trough air, without a dish or cable television. I haven't got both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Mythago wrote: »
    If anyone's planning next year... AVOID the Upper Bay Grandstand, It looks good on paper but it isn't.

Seconded. The bay grand stand is not worth the money at all, a lot of the people from where I am staying didn't even bother going into the grandstand because they found much better places that were open to walkabout ticket holders.

It was the only negative point I found about the whole weekend. On the friday night there was no organisation and It took me almost 2 hours to get out(it took 10 mins to get in) but they fixed that on sat and everything went a lot smoother. Its also good to have another track that is right in the city instead of having to put up with bad traffic you can just get the MRT and it leaves you close to every gate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Stekelly wrote: »
    Pitch darkness and have the cars fitted with spots for next seasons race.:)

You seen this one? McClaren have already been testing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOl_p3gyrD0 if that doesn't work.

NTM

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

^ Great video. He looks really pissed with them dropping things and making a noise behind him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Good race alright. I thought the cars looked even better than normal under the lights.

It was kind of nice that it had some drama with Ferrari's pit-stop system screwing up again. I think Brundle was funny when he said "That will be in the bin at the back of the garage after the race".

To be honest I'm kind of rooting for Hamilton to win the championship, even if it does mean the English media will go into overdrive. However I suspect in some ways Formula 1 doesn't get as much exposure as football for example so it might be easier to bear.

I think McLaren have gotten the short end of the stick on quite a few decisions so it would be nice to see Hamilton win the championship and McLaren win the constructors. I didn't realise it has been something like 6 or 7 years since they last won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I would object to Lewis winning the title, but even though I think he is the best racer, I think Felipe seems to be the best driver this year.

He is only 7 points behind after 15 races. He was leading in Singapore when he had the pit-stop mishap. The car failed in Hungary when he was only 3 laps from winning. The car must have been impossible to drive in the British GP as Kimi was just as bad as him there (I still cannot understand how this situation can occur in a top F1 team).

OK, Lewis knocked himself and Kimi out in Canada. Also Felipes bad start to the season was probably down to driver error, but he seems to have improved greatly over the season.

Advertisement