Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KTM 950/990

• 26-09-2008 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I am considering buying a KTM 950/990 sm. I have read all the specs on them and all the rave reviews, but what I want to really know is what they are like to live with. I use my Bike a fair bit (about 15-20 k a year) and want to know how they stand up to our Irish weather. How practicle they are and if a fly screen is available for it ? Any feed back would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

practicality doesnt come into it with a SM lol

page 55 in novembers TWO has a small piece on the 990SM, worth a gander

sounds like the polar opposite of a varadero1k tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I think it's a stunning bike and if things go ok I'll pick one up next March when my two year dry run after passing my test is up.

I've sat on one, though never driven one. They're very comfortable - I love sitting high like that. I believe they're very easy to drive, though they're thirsty and the fuel tank isn't that big. They look and sound amazing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Hey there - I have a ktm Superduke 990 (it's the '06 model). The bike is the most fun thing to drive I've ever owned (also have a Kawasaki z1000), it constantly want's to wheelie & has a major amount of torque, it's high seating allows you to flick from side to side easily on twist roads, to be honest I think it would eat most bikes on the back roads.

The bad things about it are as follows; (1) it's high level of torque means you have to be VERY careful when driving in bad condtions (rain, snow, ice, wet leaves etc so at least half the year or more in Ireland).. even on a dry day the tail can step out on you if you give it a bit too much welly or let the clutch out a little fast (I'm on a bike ten years so I'm not a TOTAL idiot). Also I personally have had problems with my Duke & it has spent quite a lot of time in the garage, it had problems with the electrics, problems with oil leaking from the engine, problems with part of the hydraulic clutch on the engine as well, the 3rd problem still doens't seem to be fully fixed. I wouldn't regard them as ideal main bikes for commuting or every day driving, much better as a 2nd fun weekend bike.

So I'm trading mine in to a shop and getting an 07 zx10r. Reliable & fast. maybe no where near as much torquey fun at all, but I'm sick of my weekend bike not working at the weekends or when my other bikes in the shop. :p

Advertisement