Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueface VOIP back to Eircom

Options
  • 27-09-2008 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

In 2005 Digiweb came to town offering Fixed Wireless Access (Homewave). I delightfully signed up. Then I learned about Blueface. So I ported my eircom land line number over to them. (057) XXXXXXX. The quality of the Homewave meant that calls were rarely good. But I put up with it because it wasn't Blueface fault and I was thrilled to have some sort of broadband.

In Jan 2008 Eircom rolled out broadband in town. So after months of requesting Digiweb to upgrade the Homewave from 1024/128 to say 2048/256 which have fallen on deaf ears, I have decided to go back to eircom.

I rang Blueface requesting my UAN (Universal Account Number) and they gave me a 10-digit "Universal UAN" :D. Rang Eircom who insisted that I should have an 8-digit UAN. Rang back Blueface who says that they (BF) may not have the Port Request Form from 3 years ago that I sent them in - it's probably lost.

Rang back eircom to see was there anything else - they advised me that they may be able to accept the 10-digit UUAN, but I will be charged €121 + VAT for going back.

Now, I have a line and a socket in the house from the pole across the road - why the hell should I have to pay €146.41 for a line??? A normal reconnection fee is usually under €50.

Anyone have got this tripe treatment before from these companies??? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

Danno wrote: »
    Hi Guys.

Now, I have a line and a socket in the house from the pole across the road - why the hell should I have to pay €146.41 for a line??? A normal reconnection fee is usually under €50.

:
    Why not just stay with Blueface and avail of their cheep calls... use the new eircom line as a separate number...

Normal reconnection fee is somethin like €30 or €35 euro if the line was acive within a three month window..yours is 2 years,, the €121 + vat sounds like a new line charge..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wow, so now they charge because of calendar time. Utter shyte. Does the value of the line go up because it is older - its a damn telecoms business, not an antique store.

Is there a more suitable forum for this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Danno wrote: »
    Is there a more suitable forum for this thread?

I can move it to the VoIP forum if you want? Actually I'm not really sure if that's suitable either. To answer your questions, Eircom charge a certain amount if the line has been inactive for a few months ~50 Euro I think, after that the charge goes up to the €140. If you have a soft dial tone they should probably charge you the cheaper rate if not it means your line has to be reprovisioned at the exchange.

For your information these are the terms we use to describe the different kinds of eircom phoneline you may have and the cost to connect:

*In-situ: FREE (worth €24.99) where all line work is completely in place and there has been previous service at the address.

**Pre-cabled: FREE (worth €49.99) where all line work is completely in place but there has not been any previous service at the address.

***Standard: €121.93. Standard connection: where no line work is in place and there has been no previous service at the address.

I have highlighted my case. So it seems the Sales rep was trying to rib me off at the first hurdle. :mad:

Anyone else I can get my phoneline from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_services_phonelines.shtml

^^^ Bottom of the page, looks like BT charge the same. There isn't really anyone else you can get a line off other than Eircom. You can then transfer over to BT, Smart etc.

You could try Magnet if you live in an area where they provide service.

Got another sales rep off eircom and got the line back for €25. Happy now with my 7,6mb broadband. Pity Digiweb did not show any interest in keeping me as a customer. I was involved in getting them set up under the Group Broadband Scheme and all!!!

The only bad thing is I lost my previous 057 number.

Advertisement