Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever taken Ecstasy / MDMA?

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

clayton1 wrote: »
    i am not trying to scaremonger, i am only telling you a sincere story - and if you saw this person now, you'd think the same about them.

if you go to the bar in a pub and ask for a pint of guinness, you get a pint of guinness. If you get an E tablet off your local drug dealer, are you guaranteed to know what you get? the answer is no, and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying - unless they made the tab's up themselves.

i did them myself when i was a little younger, i am no angel. all i am saying is i would advise people not to do them, because the post effects can be disastrous
    Big deal at least he is still alive. I had a friend that died from just one night of drinking but you probably don't have too much a problem with alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

i am not trying to scaremonger, i am only telling you a sincere story - and if you saw this person now, you'd think the same about them.

if you go to the bar in a pub and ask for a pint of guinness, you get a pint of guinness. If you get an E tablet off your local drug dealer, are you guaranteed to know what you get? the answer is no, and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying - unless they made the tab's up themselves.

i did them myself when i was a little younger, i am no angel. all i am saying is i would advise people not to do them, because the post effects can be disastrous
    So let me get this straight, you now have a problem with illegal drugs full stop? Or is it your first point about people mixing illegal drugs with legal prescription drugs that you have a problem with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

http://www.pillreports.com/index.php?page=region_home&region=2&sub_region=7

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

i would have a problem with illegal drugs yes.
    i was just pointing out the effects of that particular case when illegal drugs were mixed with prescription one's.
    I don't think it would have had damaged his brain if he mixed alcohol with prescription drugs, would it?

alcohol abuse can lead to death, that's true - and sorry to hear of it happening to your friend.
    but if both are used by people on a "managed" basis, then illegal drugs are far worse for the human body? you can't deny that, right?

alcohol is legal, and the vast majority of the human race are able to enjoy a social drink.

and lads, it's a forum - i am only trying to get my point across, so no bashing please.. it's not nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

alcohol is legal, and the vast majority of the human race are able to enjoy a social drink.

And the vast majority of people who take uppers etc regularly endanger their lives? IS alcohol okay to take solely on the basis of legality (and prevalence) ?

How are illegal drugs far worse for the body than alcohol?
    i would have a problem with illegal drugs yes.

If they were regulated, would your problem dissipate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't think it would have had damaged his brain if he mixed alcohol with prescription drugs, would it?
    Actually, mixing alcohol with Cocaine forms a toxic byproduct, cocaethylene. It is involved in 60% of sudden cocaine deaths. It has cardiovascular toxicity (i.e. leads to heart attack and strokes). But Alcohol is legal so that’s ok.
    but if both are used by people on a "managed" basis, then illegal drugs are far worse for the human body? you can't deny that, right?
    I’m not a doctor so I can’t say but Alcohol is still a toxic drug. But Alcohol is legal so that’s ok.
    Alcohol, Mental Health and Suicide
    • Alcohol related disorders were the third most common reason for admission to Irish psychiatric hospitals between 1996 and 2005
    • Alcohol use is often a factor in suicidal behaviour. In 2006/2007 alcohol was a factor in 41% of all cases of deliberate self-harm
    • One Irish study of people from three counties who died as a result of suicide, found that more than half had alcohol in their blood
    Alcohol and Crime
    • Alcohol-related offences increased by 30% between 2003 and 2007, from 50,948 to 66,406
    • Almost half of the perpetrators of homicide were intoxicated when the crime was committed
    • Alcohol was found to be a factor in almost half of all cases of sexual assaults on adults according to a major survey of sexual assault and violence in Ireland. In such cases, where only one party had been drinking, the perpetrator of the sexual assault was the one drinking in the majority of cases (84% of female and 70% of male sexual assault cases)
    Alcohol and Injuries
    • More than one in four of those attending accident and emergency departments have alcohol related injuries, almost half of which occurred to people aged under 30 years
    • Alcohol is a factor in one in four traumatic brain injuries
    Alcohol and Health
    • Hospital discharges for alcohol-related liver disease increased by 147% between 1995 and 2004
    • Alcohol-related deaths also increased during the same period, from 3.8 deaths per 100,000 to 7.1 deaths per 100,000
    • Many cancers, including cancer of the mouth, larynx, oesophagus, liver, colorectum and female breast, are causally related to alcohol consumption
    • Cancer of the liver has had the highest rate of increase of all cancer types between 1994 and 2003, increasing by 10.7% for females and 7.4% for males, compared to an increase for all cancers of 1.1% for females and 1.1% for males
    • There is a risk relationship between the amount a woman drinks, and the likelihood of her developing the most common type of breast cancer. Drinking one standard alcoholic drink a day is associated with a 9% increase in the risk of developing breast cancer, while drinking 3 6 standard drinks a day increases the risk by 41%
    • High levels of alcohol use and heavy drinking among young women are reflected in the fact that one in four women discharged from hospital for alcohol related conditions were aged under 30, compared to 17% of men under 30 discharged
    • Between 1995 and 2004, there was an increase of 29% in the proportion of teenage girls aged under 18 discharged from hospital for alcohol related conditions compared to an increase of 9% for males under 18

http://alcoholireland.ie/?page_id=110

And the vast majority of people are able to enjoy recreational drugs without causing themselves or anybody else any harm.
    The scaremongers only focus on the bad experiences of recreational drug users while conveniently ignoring the facts of legal drug taking.

I was listening to the last word the other night and they were having a debate about Head Shops and one of the guys said that 16 people a day die due to smoking related diseases. Don’t see too many people petrol bombing or protesting outside Newsagents trying to get them closed down.

Smoking related diseases cost the state half a billion in medical expenses every year. But they gain twice that in revenue every year. No surprises then that we’ll never see the tobacco companies shut down.

The thing that has annoyed be the most about your last post was the amount of question marks at the end of all your statements. A little bit of knowledge and research goes a long way before being “anti” anything.

And the vast majority of people who take uppers etc regularly endanger their lives? IS alcohol okay to take solely on the basis of legality (and prevalence) ?

How are illegal drugs far worse for the body than alcohol?

If they were regulated, would your problem dissipate?

because you have a few pints and you wake up with a hangover, you pop a few pills and God knows what effects they have on your brain.

Am i right in saying this.. To get a high from E for example - it gets the neurons in your brain to release serotonin (which is what is released when you are happy, feelings of joy). It releases lots and lots of this, a lot more than normal, so the neurons in your brain don't always go back to the location of your brain where they came from - which leads to a chemical imbalance - which leads to depression.

All i am saying is, with a few pints or drink in moderation, you know exactly what you get. With illegal drugs made in some under ground lab, surely you don't?

And i hope i don't come across as pointing the finger at people on here even, who do take drugs. It's up to people what they do, people make their own choices.

because you have a few pints and you wake up with a hangover,
    Or you maybe you don't wake up because you had more than a couple of pints and fell asleep outside on a cold night. Or decided to drive, or start a fight. Or you are an alcoholic and your kidneys failed at 26 like somebody else I knew.

because you have a few pints and you wake up with a hangover, you pop a few pills and God knows what effects they have on your brain.
    According to the graph in this article, the ACMD strongly disagree with you on the relative harms of alcohol and ecstasy.

You've also neglected to mention that you don't simply wake up with a hangover after a night of drinking- your liver gets damaged as it goes into overdrive attempting to deal with your body being poisoned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Great post Baz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Clayton from reading your posts it seems that your not completely against illegal drugs, just the legality of certain drugs and the way their distributed and made can lead to bad chemicals being added to cut the drugs.
    Surely then you'll agree that people who want drugs are going to get them, so why not legalise them so that the manufacturing of drugs can be monitored like the production of alcohol and cigarrettes. Take the drugs from the streets and back alleys and away from dangerous hands into a more controlled production enviroment, so that unnecesary circumstances like the one that happened your friend become a thing of the past.

Its a tired but valid argument that cigarretes and alcohol do far more damage than these kinds of illegal drugs.

Cwhyte wrote: »
    Clayton from reading your posts it seems that your not completely against illegal drugs, just the legality of certain drugs and the way their distributed and made can lead to bad chemicals being added to cut the drugs.
    Surely then you'll agree that people who want drugs are going to get them, so why not legalise them so that the manufacturing of drugs can be monitored like the production of alcohol and cigarrettes. Take the drugs from the streets and back alleys and away from dangerous hands into a more controlled production enviroment, so that unnecesary circumstances like the one that happened your friend become a thing of the past.

Its a tired but valid argument that cigarretes and alcohol do far more damage than these kinds of illegal drugs.

Yes, good point there in fairness.

Ok, i guess it is hard to make the alcohol over drugs argument. Where i am coming from i am talking about controlled environments. You could say that when people are coked out of their mind, they are impossible to control as they bid to knock the bullocks out of someone, but alcohol is known to have more or less the same effect - i accept that.

PACE - destroyed is a bit OTT. I myself would go out and have about 10 pints, don't drink spirits. I doubt it's destroyed as a result of that now.

If you were on heroin for example, what effects does that have on your liver?

PACE - destroyed is a bit OTT. I myself would go out and have about 10 pints, don't drink spirits. I doubt it's destroyed as a result of that now.

What a hypocrite. Preaching to us about protecting your body and you think nothing of drinking 10 pints. Do you know anything about the toxic effects of alcohol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

i blame drugs on my warped sense of humour. i mean like i find this funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-tlqP1BPbE

just looking @hughcooney makes you high

What a hypocrite. Preaching to us about protecting your body and you think nothing of drinking 10 pints. Do you know anything about the toxic effects of alcohol?

well i just passed a very tough medical, and i got the once over from my doctor - and i'm as healthy as healthy can be :)

• Advertisement

well i just passed a very tough medical, and i got the once over from my doctor - and i'm as healthy as healthy can be :)
    Meaningless. Drinking that much regularly over a liketime will hugely increase your likelihood of heart disease, cancer and many other issues. People in Ireland like to consider it a normal activity but that is not the case.

PACE - destroyed is a bit OTT. I myself would go out and have about 10 pints, don't drink spirits.
    Where did I use the term 'destroyed?' In any case, ten pints is about five times the recommended amount the average male should drink in a day. Not that I'm any better, but you seem completely oblivious to how dangerous alcohol actually is. The consensus among the scientific community is that it's far more harmful than MDMA.
    If you were on heroin for example, what effects does that have on your liver?
    Not much really; heroin isn't particularly harmful on the body. It's dangerous because it's so addictive.

a few pints never did anyone any harm.

lads i was only trying to make my point... i came on here because i'm a DJ. so i'm going back to the DJ talk :)

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Where did I use the term 'destroyed?' In any case, ten pints is about five times the recommended amount the average male should drink in a day. Not that I'm any better, but you seem completely oblivious to how dangerous alcohol actually is. The consensus among the scientific community is that it's far more harmful than MDMA.

Not much really; heroin isn't particularly harmful on the body. It's dangerous because it's so addictive.

There are many different types of heroin effects that a drug user can experience, and heroin effects can be extremely detrimental to a person's mind and body. Heroin is an opiate derived from the drug morphine, and its highly addictive properties and quick acting-effects made it a popular street drug immediately.

http://www.heroin-effects.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Cwhyte wrote: »
    I dont do mdma or ecstasy, but i'll say this, if you go into and A&E on a Friday or Saturday night, it won't be polluted with people on yokes.

I remember the doctor who published this report was dragged through the mud because it went against social norms of how acceptable drugs are.
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Ecstasy-No-Worse-Than-Horse-Riding-Says-Drug-Adviser-Professor-David-Nutt-Pens-Journal-Article/Article/200902115218451?f=rss

He is a legend, I have all his stuff on mp3, Ill post it up if ya want it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I haven't, but I probably would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Missfortune

[quote=[Deleted User];64970397]Why dont they make it anymore???? All jokes aside.[/QUOTE]

I heard one of the main ingredients is so rare or securely locked down that it can't be made anymore. Thats why alternatives have taken over BZP, Piperzine in the tabs is used, also low cost of these has increased usage. And MD is never in brown/purple crystals anymore? just crushed-up/mixed sh*t.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Missfortune

eightyfish wrote: »
    Meth is evil, oh a par with heroin, but there's not a lot of it in Ireland (I believe). It could always find a way to expand, as it's so easy to prepare (seen Breaking Bad anyone?)

Breaking Bad is brilliant!!!!! Good call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

[quote=[Deleted User];64970397]Why dont they make it anymore???? All jokes aside.[/QUOTE]

Two reasons:
    1. There is less [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PMK (piperonylmethylketone) and [/FONT]safrole [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]around, which are [/FONT]the major precursors to MDMA. PMK normally comes from China to the Benelux region hidden in vast shipments of chemicals that move through the ports around that part of Europe from Asia, but somehow it's being stopped (mainly due to efforts by the Chinese to look less like the bad guys of international trade since they were let in to the World Trade Organisation).

2. There was a right wing government elected in the Netherlands a couple of years back who have rowed back on the tolerant drug laws to a degree and are looking to clamp down on supply of illegal drugs.

Since 70% of Europe's Es are made in Holland, there's less on the streets here because of that. There is some made in Poland now, and Russia but it's a long way from there to here.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

off my mash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

been a long while, used to be big into them, I guess you just kinda grow out of it, weed's yer only man, and beer obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

timewarp kinda opened my eyes, might take a low profile for as long as possible.

blue facebooks - best done in years
    mdma + speed together - not too keen on it
    white pills, not sure which - not great, considerin how good the facebooks were
    different whites, also not sure - same as above
    ket - forget about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

copeyhagen wrote: »
    timewarp kinda opened my eyes, might take a low profile for as long as possible.

blue facebooks - best done in years
    mdma + speed together - not too keen on it
    white pills, not sure which - not great, considerin how good the facebooks were
    different whites, also not sure - same as above
    ket - forget about it
    Sounds like quite a combination.

Looked on pillreports about those facebooks - good reports

http://www.pillreports.com/index.php?page=display_pill&id=21264

http://www.pillreports.com/index.php?page=display_pill&id=21345

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeh man, they were the talk of the town over there, 10€ a pill in the hotel, but you get what you pay for by a mile, serious concoction, but when you factor in that we only went to timewarp at 3am, i stayed till 1pm, couple of my mates stayed till the death, troopers they are! haha

just went overboard for the occasion. think some italian or spik gave me pig flu too

reading them pill reports, think we may have gone a bit overboard on the narc! some people taking 1 for a full night out, we had 3 of them to start with. idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

jonny68 wrote: »
    To intensify the experience i used to look at images and videos like this they used to show on the chillout Zone on MTV.;)

......↓
    m_119476893511947689354965.gif

See your image above jonny, where i put the red arrow can you see the liitle shape that is cahnging colour unlike the rest of iits surroundings?

Well here is what it is if yer interested which i discovered years ago & was totally in awe when trying to get my head around it (on acid mostly)........its a visual representation of a mathematical equasion that appears to be infinite or limitless to its depth/scale.........you need a fast connection speed to get the smooth view of the animated Gif as it is 475 frames looped @ a total of 25MB's for the small one & 85MB's for the large one.......but once it has cycled through em once it should flow better if you have a slower connection......enjoy,
    Mandelbrot_sequence_new.gif
    Mandelbrot_zoom_1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭askU

yes drunks are worse , if people wanna take drugs yes it is there own business but understand the effects these tablets have on your health , i know many people who take these drugs and would not look down on them , however i lost a close friend many years back to the drug . ye never think it can happen to you but it can , people know nothing about the drug or what **** there mixed with
    Who Can Live For Ever?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I assume everyone has heard that Mephedrone and many other similar chemicals are now fully banned in Ireland, thus handing control back to the drug dealers from the shops/government. My guess is that it will reappear quite quickly at 3 times the price but cut with all sorts of other crap - and demand for cocaine will go through the roof. The rivalry between drug gangs with heighten and we'll see plenty more killings - up to the levels of a while back where it was a fairly regular occurrence.

Not sure if anyone saw but Washington DC just approved the sale of Medical Marijuana - this is a pretty big step and I'd guess more states will now follow - probably won't be too long before the majority have it partly legalised. The pro-weed lobbyists are gaining ground on the ever weakening anti-marijuana campaigners

http://heralddaily.com/2009/10/22/high-time-to-legalize/

2w57j81.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mosse

I have just discovered that my nearly 17 year old son is taking Methadrone and Poppers. I have read up on Methadrone on the web and i am horrified at what i found.
    I dont know what to do now tho - i have grounded him for a month and stopped his pocket money of 20 euro a week. But what do I do next? I am so worried that he is addicted to this stuff, he says last night was his first time but i dont believe him - he has changed over the past few months, rude, disrespectful to an alarming degree, always tierd, would sleep all day if he could and can seem to stay up all night. He has dropped out of school for transition year and says he will go back to school in september for 5th year, but i have my doubts!!
    I am shocked, horrified and confused, why would a lovely good looking young man put that crap up his nose - i dont understand what is going on in his head, but worst of all i dont know how to help him and that is the most frightening thing of all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

There's nothing unusual about going to bed late and sleeping for much of the day. It's a pattern a lot of people fall into when they don't have to get up at a certain time for work/school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

mosse wrote: »
    I have read up on Methadrone on the web

Somehow I doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

I have just discovered that my nearly 17 year old son is taking Methadrone and Poppers. I have read up on Methadrone on the web and i am horrified at what i found.
    I dont know what to do now tho - i have grounded him for a month and stopped his pocket money of 20 euro a week. But what do I do next? I am so worried that he is addicted to this stuff, he says last night was his first time but i dont believe him - he has changed over the past few months, rude, disrespectful to an alarming degree, always tierd, would sleep all day if he could and can seem to stay up all night. He has dropped out of school for transition year and says he will go back to school in september for 5th year, but i have my doubts!!
    I am shocked, horrified and confused, why would a lovely good looking young man put that crap up his nose - i dont understand what is going on in his head, but worst of all i dont know how to help him and that is the most frightening thing of all!!

i feel for ya mate, really do, but the fact of the matter is theres really nothin ya can do short of lockin him up. most likely he's just a recreational user as i've done a fair bit of meph myself and i'm not addicted. but there is no way you can stop someone doin what they want even if the choices they are makin are stupid, ya can't be with them 24/7 and if they wanna do somethin they will. what your goin thru now is the same as what my parents went thru when i was that age but ya grow out of it eventually, just keep an eye on him and wisen up to the signs of drug use, dialated pupils, over talkative and full of beans can't stand easy as well as sniffling among others.
    hope things work out for ya mate, all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

First things first-after you get over the initial shock, poppers won't kill him nor will he become addicted to mephedrone.
    It probably isnt his first time, but unless he is out every weekend from friday to sunday he isn't doing it every weekend.
    Talk to him about it ask him why he does it, but don't lecture him as the truth of the matter is drugs give one an enjoyable experience for the most part. especially if you don't have experience yourself
    Finally educate yourself-read up on what he is doing, just because he may have the odd snort, doesn't mean he'll become a smack head.
    by the way all 17 yr olds get moody, it may not neccessarily be the drugs, drink also plays a part-Whatever you do keep calm. Trust me I'm in my 40's and know about these things. There are plenty of other parents in your position, so don't worry-Just chat to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mosse

The problem is that he is out every weekend and stays in peoples house who i have never heard of/or met. I have a 19 year old son and have been thru the moody thing and drink thing and dont have a major problem with any of that - I did it myself, but i am just so shocked at him snorting powder and popping pills. I will talk to him but i am just too angry now and need to calm down so i do it right! Thanks for you advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

snorting powder and popping pills

It's this kind of over-exaggeration that's the reason you're so worried. Poppers are a harmless joke of a drug, you get the same effect by holding your breath for 20 seconds.

Mephedrone was legal until recently, and ever second teenager was doing it when it was, 99% of whom haven't touched any other drugs since it's become criminalised, unless they were doing so before mephedrone.

You have nothing to worry about. Don't give him the choice not to go back to school in 5th year, in my opinion letting him drop out during 4th year was a mistake in the first place. Make him go back to school in September, and talk to him. Just making him know that you know will help. If you want to get to know the people he's going with, offer him a lift to places he's going, or allow him and his friends to come to yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

The problem is that he is out every weekend and stays in peoples house who i have never heard of/or met. I have a 19 year old son and have been thru the moody thing and drink thing and dont have a major problem with any of that - I did it myself, but i am just so shocked at him snorting powder and popping pills. I will talk to him but i am just too angry now and need to calm down so i do it right! Thanks for you advice!

I've been a drugs education/prevention worker for the past 11 years, speaking to parents is one side of the job i don't particularly enjoy but what I'd suggest is link in with a local community drugs project and speak with them around what drugs he's using and tips for yourself to be handling situations, see if they can offer your young lad any support (if he wants it).

I know there is a drugs service in Bray, not sure about other parts of wicklow but while your a parent and he is living under your roof your always going to treat him a certain way, your going to get pissed off and frustrated if he is speaking to someone neutral he's not going to have any of that and can be a bit more open.

Not saying your doing anything wrong your doing exactly what your suppose to as a parent but francois is right it's important you keep the communication going if that breaks down it can be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Ditto on what the two lads say. IMO it is absolutely vital that you keep a line of communication open. If you can't talk to each other then you have absolutely no control over how things develop. Hopefully you have gathered from the responses here that the drugs he is taking are far from the worst available, are not addictive and not pure processed evil, despite what that hypocrite Gerry Ryan would have had you believe.

As a parent, and someone who has used recreational drugs, if I was in your shoes my main concern would be where he is and who he's with. This is where the communication comes into play. I'd wager he's staying out all night and crashing in other people's houses because he didn't want to risk you finding out what he's up to. Now that you know what he's up to, talk to him like an adult about why he does it and who with. Accept that he's going to experiment but lay down some ground rules. Get him to invite his mates over for a few beers some evening or something, so you can put names to faces. When he's going out, tell him you expect him home, regardless of what condition he's in.

I hope you can work it out. Just remember, although he's your baby, he's pretty much an adult now and probably wants to be treated like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I did it myself, but i am just so shocked at him snorting powder and popping pills.

why? he has grown up in a country almost defined by a national collective drug problem - that of alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Pretty much what i was going to suggest dubsbhoy has here,
    dubsbhoy wrote: »
    I've been a drugs education/prevention worker for the past 11 years, speaking to parents is one side of the job i don't particularly enjoy but what I'd suggest is link in with a local community drugs project and speak with them around what drugs he's using and tips for yourself to be handling situations, see if they can offer your young lad any support (if he wants it).

Your young lad will push back twice as hard at any restrictions you try to put on him, get him to go back to school & seek out someone that has been there done that, not to old to give a talk to the school classes with some real life storys of why to not gget to deeply involved in narcs & to tell them how to watch for signs of addiction amongst their friends.

All you can do is educate, the hardest thing you & anyone ever has to come to terms with is that our children dont belong to us, we are their guardians for a short time & then they need to be allowed to be free to make their own life decisions hard as that is, all you can do is provide giudance in the correct & most beneficial way possible which may be indirect as has been pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Agreed, education is the key,just say no is the single worst thing you can say, Governments,etc,etc have said "just say no" for as long as i remember and people do the exact opposite,it's a no brainer.

Drugs are everywhere in society and this has been the case for a long time,youngsters experimenting with drugs need educating about the possible dangers of certain drugs, but grounding your son and stopping his money is most likely to have the opposite effect.

Good luck anyway moose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

When my kids get older I'm going to tell them stories about how their parents used to go mad at night clubs and then did all manner of graphic things when they got home still high as kites. I shall not hold back but describe everything in lurid detail.

It shall put the fookers off for life…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

It shall put the fookers off for life…

jesus, you've put me off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jtsuited wrote: »
    jesus, you've put me off!

My work here is done…

Advertisement