Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT when trading in car

Options
  • 27-09-2008 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does having up to date NCT actually add anything to the value of your vehicle when trading it against another car or are your just better off trading it in and taking whatever loss there is. Am currently trading in my car but NCT has run out and wondering if its worth my while undergoing another test when car is off road and being traded in next week, any suggestions much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Just wondering does having up to date NCT actually add anything to the value of your vehicle when trading it against another car or are your just better off trading it in and taking whatever loss there is. Am currently trading in my car but NCT has run out and wondering if its worth my while undergoing another test when car is off road and being traded in next week, any suggestions much appreciated.

Dealer could deduct what the test would cost and a bit more.

Usually a good selling point on a trade in. If your confident it wont cost the earth to get NCT'd ie: tyres are in check then why not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Even if it fails, it will show why the car failed, hence anyone buying it will see what needs doing.. So if it fails on something simple you can say all it needs is X for the NCT. probably worth the €45 then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'd say a dealer will use the situation to hammer down the value of your trade in. From their perspective, they could be exposed to a couple of hundred Euros of repairs on top of the usual turnaround servicing & valeting costs if there were any problems with emissions or suspension, etc. I'd say definitely get an NCT on it before you trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

When I traded mine in, the dealer was initially reluctant to take it but once he saw that it had passed the NCT 5 months ago and was ok until March 2010 he became a lot more enthusiastic and actually increased the trade-in value the following day.

Advertisement