Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palin Accepted $25,367 in Gifts?

Options
  • 27-09-2008 9:38am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

If a governor receives gifts from "industry executives," for example, why did these executives give them the gifts? Did they expect something in return, or what?

"Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who has made a crackdown on gift-giving to state officials a centerpiece of her ethics reform agenda, has accepted gifts valued at $25,367 from industry executives, municipalities and a cultural center whose board includes officials from some of the largest mining interests in the state, a review of state records shows."

"Palin forwarded her ethics proposals to the legislature in January 2007, her first month in office. That month, she accepted three gifts from Calista's chief executive, Matthew Nicolai: a $2,200 ivory puffin mask, a woven grass fan worth $300 and a $150 ivory necklace."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/09/25/ST2008092504011.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

What did you expect from a "soccer mom"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

This is like a bad disney movie :D

I dont think Palin should be given the responsibility of VP, shes not prepared for the job, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

turgon wrote: »
    This is like a bad disney movie :D

I dont think Palin should be given the responsibility of VP, shes not prepared for the job, simple as.

Agree 100%. She's completely unsuitable for the role and a massive risk if she should somehow get to the White House...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The article doesn't seem to state the legal status of the gifts themselves. For example, Federal employees have a $50 gift limit, very low. That's not to say that they can't accept gifts higher than that (After all, it would be a bit of a slap in the face if, for example if the President refused a Ming Vase from the Chinese Premier), but it's the difference between becoming personal property and State property. It seems from the unclear article that Alaska's rules are a little more complicated (and were a lot more complicated prior to her changes). For example, you'll note that the personal travel of Palin's daughter paid for by Chamberlain was registered as a gift, but subsequently repaid.

It would be awfully ballsy of her to write down on the official report forms any gifts received of dubious legal or moral implication. Most crooked politicians leave the stuff off the books, or, in the case of cash, in the refrigerator.

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It seems from the unclear article that Alaska's rules are a little more complicated (and were a lot more complicated prior to her changes).

Palin signs ethics reforms, By JAMES HALPIN, The Associated Press
    Published: July 10, 2007, Last Modified: July 10, 2007 at 11:43 AM
    http://dwb.adn.com/news/government/story/9120051p-9036359c.html

“An ethics reform package for state officials was signed into law Monday by Gov. Sarah Palin…

"...it prohibits them from accepting gifts worth more than $250 from the same person within a year, excluding food and tickets to charitable events.”

Palin "accepted three gifts from Calista's chief executive, Matthew Nicolai: a $2,200 ivory puffin mask, a woven grass fan worth $300 and a $150 ivory necklace" during same month she signed the law (see OP above for source). Does $2,650 exceed the $250 per year limit? Huh?

But the larger issue is not whether accepting gifts were within Alaska's law, but rather why private sector for profit company executives gave gifts to Palin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Alaska attorney general's office contends that gifts to a governor must be evaluated on "a case-by-case basis," Assistant Attorney General Judy Bockman said. Some are offered as "a courtesy," she said, to newly elected officials and are not considered an ethical issue.

Hmm. This bit jumped out at me. At least they left it in but I would have thought someone could have done some digging on Alaskan law, especially for the Washington Post. Unless it suited them to have a bit of a laugh at Alaskan "oiks" again. Nothing in the article suggests that any wrongdoing occurred but it invites that "inevitable" leap and it does add to the "Palin brand".

Palin "accepted three gifts from Calista's chief executive, Matthew Nicolai: a $2,200 ivory puffin mask, a woven grass fan worth $300 and a $150 ivory necklace" during same month she signed the law (see OP above for source). Does $2,650 exceed the $250 per year limit? Huh?

No, you miss my point. The issue is one of ownership, not acceptance.

In the case I suggest above of the President and a gift of a Ming Vase from the Chinese Premier, there's it would be hard to say "He didn't accept it" even if it became State property and thus didn't own it. For example, the article says nothing about if the $2,200 ivory puffin mask is currently sitting in the Governor's office as part of State Property, it just says that the Puffin was given to the Governor and she reported it. I suggest that the current information in that article is not definitive either way.
    But the larger issue is not whether accepting gifts were within Alaska's law, but rather why private sector for profit company executives gave gifts to Palin?

Because it's standard practise? It's good PR to get the Gov to come visit you, and whenever the Gov visits, it's polite to give them a gift.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

$25,367? Amatuer!

Mike

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Because it's standard practise? It's good PR to get the Gov to come visit you, and whenever the Gov visits, it's polite to give them a gift.
    Gift giving is "standard practice" to accomplish what? "It's good PR" to accomplish what?

We are not talking about your foreign dignitary visiting and exchanging gifts, as you continue to use as an example in two posts. We are talking US business executives of for-profit corporations giving gifts to US public officials. Why?

Do you expect us to believe that business executives expect absolutely nothing in return for their gifts to public officials (officials who are in position to affect or otherwise influence future profits)?:rolleyes:

Do you expect us to believe that business executives expect absolutely nothing in return for their gifts to public officials (officials who are in position to affect or otherwise influence future profits)?

Everyone gets their picture in the paper for starters.

"And our guest speaker at this dinner for the 25th anniversay of the Sakatoonwa Zinc Mine, the largest employer in Moose county, is the Governor.....
    <Remarks complete>
    Governor, thank you for taking the time to be with us. Here is an ivory puffin, made by the Sakatoonwa Inuit tribe, as a token of our appreciation, and to remind you of your visit to our mine"

Next morning, in the Alaska Tribune, on Page 2 there's an article about how the Governor spoke at the Sakatoonwa Mine Dinner. Maybe with a nice picture of Mr B. Cheese presenting the puffin. Looks all very good for Mr Cheese and Sakatoonwa Mining Company. And probably cheaper than buying advertising time on the radio.

NTM

• Advertisement

I write fiction too, but I normally post it in the creative writing forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I write fiction too, but I normally post it in the creative writing forum.

Hold on a minute.

This is an associated press article and has been released to many outlets on both side of the partisan divide.

The abuses have been documented in pretty good detail.

Unless you can offer a counter point of some sort rather than just an ignorant dismissal, maybe you should stick to creative writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

to be honest with you I could care less about her private buicks and benjamins, I care a lot more about her understanding of reality. Its a real downer to hear her talk about god's war and not know her toe from her ear lobe on the economy.

Seriously: McCain can command, Obama can debate, Biden can litigate. What can Palin do? Where does she fit into the A-Team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Overheal wrote: »
    Where does she fit into the A-Team?

She can do lots of thing. Shoot moose. See Russia from her house. Bring her kids to hockey. Wear $300 glasses. Be an airhead.

What more do you want in a VP?

But seriously, if you are frightened that this women could become president of the USA be rest assured: you are far from the only one. She is the only major reason I would not like to see McCain in.

Advertisement