Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGA 5x10: First Contact **SPOILERS**

• 27-09-2008 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

Mid-season 2 parter.... second part in 2 weeks.
    Daniel Jackson visits Atlantis to do some research on the Ancient scientist Janus.

Verdict? 38 votes

Sublime Atlantis
    0% 0 votes
    Super Atlantis
    65% 25 votes
    Standard Atlantis
    28% 11 votes
    Substandard Atlantis
    5% 2 votes
    Shocking Atlantis
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Holy shit.

Safe to say that Atlantis is being cut down in its prime. Easily the best episode of Season 5, maybe best episode ever. Funny, serious, dramatic, action packed, a great new enemy, and a couple of fantastic cliffhangers. Bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Really amazing episode and easly one of the best. New villans, Daniel, Todd, Sheppard and bugger all Teyla and Ronan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Best Atlantis ever. Everything you expect from top notch stargate. Sublime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Hoooooly shiiiiiiiiit! :cool:

Guess I'll have to wait until next week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭token56

Brilliant just brilliant.

Thank god the break is only for two weeks. I couldn't wait much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

token56 wrote: »
    Thank god the break is only for two weeks. I couldn't wait much longer.
    :( two weeks?

ah well it could be worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Good episode!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Loved it of course. It started off on the right note when I got a guest star who I didn't know was coming and kept building from there.

Jackson fitted better into Atlantis than Carter did and, as has been said before, his presence makes more sense. I had forgotten how fast he talks at times! Martin Gero has always had a very good ear for dialogue and this episode was no exception, with just the right level of wit coming from all the characters.

The new enemy are interesting - their SWAT-team assault on Atlantis was one of the best action sequences in SG-A's history. The fact they haven't a clue who they are works well and leaves a nice little cliff-hanger.

The peace accord with Todd was interesting and watching it inevitably fall apart - but I love the fact that it wasn't Todd who betrayed him but (from his POV), the humans who betrayed him. Nice defensive action on his part.

The thing with the gate at the end - what was that about? I liked it, and I think we can assume our crew (including Zelenka) are safe but what caused it?

Lots of questions and lots of possibilities and it confirms to me that S5 is starting to show a lot of promise that we didn't see last year. Shsme it's all going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was way too concerned with the presidential debate last night - i totally forgot this was on.

Overheal wrote: »
    I was way too concerned with the presidential debate last night - i totally forgot this was on.
    Loser - get a life :)

• Advertisement

"I doesnt leak harmful radiation.......does it?"

This may just be, the best episode of Stargate Ever. Definitely Atlantis's best.

I'm left dumbfounded until next week. signing the Save Stargate Atlantis petition now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

ixoy wrote: »
    The thing with the gate at the end - what was that about? I liked it, and I think we can assume our crew (including Zelenka) are safe but what caused it?

I'm guessing that amount of energy that subspace static generator is putting out has a similar frequency to what the stargate works on, so when its on, it causes energy to build up in the gate rapidly and explode.

Similar to the Anubis gate overloader (i think) but on a galaxy wide scale?

edit: er yeah, brilliant episode too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Yeah, really quite good. But I get the feeling that the consequences that this episode should provide, wont appear.

The Wraith wont be severely crippled by the number of ships that go into hyperspace during this time frame and explode and Stargates wont go exploding all over the galaxy either. I think it will all just get brushed under the carpet with perhaps an odd mention here or there.

I only mention this, because it is the only thing that would stop me giving this full 5/5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Giggity, Giggity - great Ep.
    Bloody 2week break my arse:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Excellent episode indeed and very much so the best one of the season so far. I'm afraid though Ivan is right and the repercussions of this two parter will not be as far reaching as they might have been if the show was not ending this season. Loved the banter between McKay and Jackson (McKay: Are you payed more than I am? :)) and the very cool raid of the lab as well as Todd's reaction to his ships being destroyed.

One more reason to hate Sanctuary: it's why we won't be getting a new episode next week...

Nukem wrote: »
    Giggity, Giggity - great Ep.
    Bloody 2week break my arse:mad:
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'm thinking if we had this kind of episode last season Atlantis wouldn’t have been cancelled :pac:

Great to see Jackson again - himself & Rodney are my favourite characters so having both in one episode :eek:

Its going to be hell waiting two weeks :(

JohnK wrote: »
    Its going to be hell waiting two weeks :(
    I've to wait three - I'm on holidays! Even though I'm going to the States, I can't watch it there as the OH is approximately 8 seasons behind (and I'll probably want to go out and do things as well. And they mightn't even have Sci-Fi in the hotel).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

how can they cancel it, its juts like enterprise, just as there getting in the grove, they cancel it, i hate sci-fi why did they sell it to them,

look at all the great scifi shows that didnt get into there groves untill season 3-4 all the star treks, andromeda, BSG etc,

sci-fi channel are scum and mgm are worse for agreeing with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

BTW f***ing great episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ixoy wrote: »

TimTim wrote: »
    I'm guessing that amount of energy that subspace static generator is putting out has a similar frequency to what the stargate works on, so when its on, it causes energy to build up in the gate rapidly and explode.

Similar to the Anubis gate overloader (i think) but on a galaxy wide scale?

edit: er yeah, brilliant episode too.

Thats what i assumed which as ivan pointed out should mean nukes going off all over the galaxy as stargates are activtated and wraith taking massive loses, however it was hinted thry could just lie dormant. It is interesting though todd is now the only wraith with hyperdrive tech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

This episode has totally redeemed Atlantis. I reckon the show is definitely going to end on a high at this stage.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Excellent episode, do you think they got teleported away in the nick of time, or some kind of handy personal shield device?

If they come out from under a table and brush themselves off I'll throw something!

My guess is that at the last second they moved the shield away from the gate and onto themselves. Since it then wouldnt be trying to contain the energy from the gate it would have had just enough power to last the few seconds required to protect them from the explosion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

MarkR wrote: »
    Excellent episode, do you think they got teleported away in the nick of time, or some kind of handy personal shield device?

If they come out from under a table and brush themselves off I'll throw something!

I'm hoping they refocused the shield to direct the blast, fairly sick of last minute teleporting etc. Having said that Todd may have arrived in the nick of time to "capture" Sheppard and thus teleported him away...

I'm more interested in who the new guys are. Completly new race? Micheal and his soldiers after finding some cool tech? Atlantis team from the future? Either way I like the cut of their jib.

Best episode for a long time.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

JohnK wrote: »
    My guess is that at the last second they moved the shield away from the gate and onto themselves. Since it then wouldnt be trying to contain the energy from the gate it would have had just enough power to last the few seconds required to protect them from the explosion.

I see your shield transfer, and raise you an overturned table AND a cut eyebrow. Good theory, that'll probably be it.

They'll probably be buried for a few minutes too, to add to the suspense.

You're definitely onto a winner with the cut-eyebrow I think :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

The 2 times they raised the shields in the ep it seems painfully slow, and not sure if they can have 2 shields (one for the lads, one for the gate) while the transfer takes place. My guess is they somehow had enough time to bring down the jumper they had ready and flew away.

That new race, they seemed almost replicator like in their one mindedness, and it was hinted that their ship could do things ancient ships could, and Shepherd suggested that they could be robots, so I'm guessing they're replicator prototypes designed by 'that dude' to protect his stuff and destroy the wraith, but had the same flaw as the replicators, the disregard for human life.

Interesting to see if they can apply 'Avenger' in conjunction with this new anti wraith weapon, to take out the wraith without putting anyone in harms way. Probably not tho.

</crazy theories>

Implementing Avenger with the Lantean Device would destroy millions of Pegasus Galaxy inhabitants and destroy the entire Pegasus gate network. Insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Overheal wrote: »
    Implementing Avenger with the Lantean Device would destroy millions of Pegasus Galaxy inhabitants and destroy the entire Pegasus gate network. Insanity.

Wasnt Avenger the thing that just made it so the gates couldnt be used? So they couldnt be activated, and not explode, killing everyone? From what i saw of the device, it only exploded the gate when the wormhole was activated, which wouldnt be possible.

I'm sure the people of Paegasus would gladly give up holidaying on another planet for a few years, in exchange for not have their children eaten? :)

Advertisement