Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SGA 5x10: First Contact **SPOILERS**

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Overheal wrote: »
    oh were all underwhelmed dont get me wrong. theyve pulled that card too many times. but i imagine it has something to do with the forcefield emitters already in place around the gate, maybe they just channled more power from the zpm and city shield generators into that system.
    As I recall, Shepperd specifically mentions the city shields and zelenka says something like, "Yeah, great idea... I'll just do that" This is in a few seconds before the gate originally detonates and zelenka pulls it off fairly quickly.

But in saying that, I dont see what the problem is. They've manipulated the size and positioning of the shields before, why should this be any different?

What interests me, is the floor. Does the shield extend through the floor, in which case the explosion would annihalate that section of the floor, let alone the actual shield itself should, presumably, cut through it around the stargate.Or, does it somehow magically fill the molecules of space, between the actual gate and the floor. In which case it is a pretty exceptional piece of engineering in those shield emitters :p

Whatever the case, who really gives a ****. It was an interesting story, done pretty well and from a show that I've long lost faith in seeing episodes of this calibre from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ivan, there's hope for you yet my good fellow. ;)

I'm expecting a great second half to this final season. Hope I won't be disappointed.

I didn't see too much wrong with what they did with the city shield tbh. Quite a clever use of it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Damn it, all those warnings just make me want to read the spoilers more :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Next Week's Trailer. Mind spoilers if you visit this video's page. And believe me, you do not want to know!
    Its Apophis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Overheal wrote: »
    Its Apophis
    Oh please tell me you're taking the piss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

why didn't they just close the iris thing? Surely that would have done the job better? Maybe I missed something.

Great episode overall, looking forward to next week and trying my best not to click on all ze spoilers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Closing the Iris in the SGC or the gate shield in Atlantis doesn't stop a wormhole from forming, though. It only prevents anything from passing through.

But wouldnt the atlantis shield-iris have been a better thing to turn on rather than the city shield?

I doubt it. The City shield is designed to hold off against sustained bombardment from enemy hive fleets, indefinitely. The forcefield is designed to stop matter from forming on the event horizon of a wormhole, for an estimated average of 38 minutes. And just like the Anubis weapon the Iris-Field wouldnt prevent energy from building up in the gate itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yep, I doubt the gate shield would have been any use at all. Pissing against the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

JohnK wrote: »
    But wouldnt the atlantis shield-iris have been a better thing to turn on rather than the city shield?

My understanding is that the shield iris is just that, and energy version of the physical iris in the SGC. The problem wasn't with something coming through the gate, it was the gate itself.

Therefore a shield was required to surround the gate to prevent the damage from its own explosion rather than the iris shield preventing an explosion coming through the gate.

Yeah I get what you're saying but I think any time we've seen it activated it covers the whole gate, not just the event horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

JohnK wrote: »
    Yeah I get what you're saying but I think any time we've seen it activated it covers the whole gate, not just the event horizon.

Hmmmm, not sure. I think it's been inconsistant. From here it seems to be just an energy iris. But when you mention it I'm sure I've seen it envelope the gate too...

Could be mixing it up with different shielded gates though.
    Some planets, mostly Goa'uld-controlled ones, that use a gate shield similar but less effective to the one in place on Atlantis because they wrap around the gate instead of directly next to the wormhole allowing subatomic particles to still materialize.

using power...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Is Sky1 Taking a break after it airs this ep? Because if it doesnt we'll only be 4 days behind:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Conor108 wrote: »
    Is Sky1 Taking a break after it airs this ep? Because if it doesnt we'll only be 4 days behind:D

nevermind forgot about 'the queen'

Advertisement