Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A gadget to alert you when you drop something?

Options
  • 27-09-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

Recently I think I lost my nano ipod - I'm not overly bothered about it tbh, gives me an excuse to buy something better. :P, but in saying that over the years I've lost or had stolen mobile phones and other valuables from my pockets.

I was thinking it might be a good idea if you had some device on your person perhaps on a keyring, and maybe if you used some special marker on the valuables you are carrying around, then say if you dropped them - you would get alerted by the device. Or perhaps you could check how near all the items are to the device on a readout etc. It could work in a different manner but that's the general idea.

Just wondering if any such device exists?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The only thing remotely close to what you want are those electronic Laptop alarms.

They work like this,

One piece is attached to the Laptop case & the other is like a car alarm fob which remains on your person.

If the two are parted by more than x amount of feet a piercing alarm rings out on the laptop bag.

I think they are used for laptops in airport environments mostly.

Probably too large for your needs but I think the princible is what you're after?

Example:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Yeah I think the principle is what I'm looking for more or less. but alas what I've seen so far seems too large.

tbh I'm sort of surprised something like this isn't out there - I can't be the only one who loses things from time to time, so think there would be a market out there and I would have thought such a device would be very simple to produce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

There is this:

http://ucables.com/ref/SEP-ALARM

If it would be possible to reduce the size of the transmitter so it could be "stuck" onto a phone or ipod, a bit like a security tag, then it might be ideal. Tha range of signal would need to be reduced as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Something like this perhaps. http://www.loc8tor.com/products.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

stapeler wrote: »
    Something like this perhaps. http://www.loc8tor.com/products.asp

Now we're talkin :). That product seems to be pretty much the idea that I was getting at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement