Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GT - Glanza for rich kids?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'm sure if we ask the mods nicely, they'll also us dig up this thread in 8 years time.

Just on the off side i have nothing against Gt's, think they're a really nice car, but i think the OP has a point.

If he does it's on the top of his head :D

No offense intended OP, just having a gentle poke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Hmmm. Male, 42, balding, borderline obese. Likes to whistle at anything with a skirt. Close?

Nope, try again caller.

Edit; ya got the 1st one right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I can see where the OP is coming from. Don't mean to offend anyone (Nismo) but for example Castleknock is full of 18 -25 year olds tearing around in the 80 BHP GT's. The cars are regularly full to the brim with fella's cruising/Posing up and down the main street.

I've thought the exact same thing myself about the GT, never noticed it before with Golf's until the GT model appeared, not comparing the cars at all (GT's vs Glanza's) just the attitude on the drivers behind the wheel, thinking they are the coolest things on the road (obviously there are loads of them as family cars too, just as there are loads of Starlets as family cars)

So I would agree with the OP.

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Nope, try again caller.

OK. Male 37, body like Adonis, the wit of Wilde, firm proud buttocks. Very respectful of the opposite sex. Hates doughnuts. Borrowed the car from his aunty Peg. Now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

37?

No
    body like Adonis, the wit of Wilde

-ish, Yes!
    firm proud buttocks?

No.
    Hates doughnuts?

GTFO!
    Borrowed the car from his aunty Peg. Now?

No.
    Very respectful of the opposite sex?

As long as she doesnt get sick on me good velour

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

VH wrote: »
    all glanza drivers i've seen are young lads 18-25 years old

same for golf gt drivers - have never seen a family or a girl - always seems to be a young lad - no older than 25

can't help but think the GT is the Glanza for richer kids - the two cars are very similar except in price

thoughts?

rubbish, I've mostly seen familys or women driving golf GTs. whole thread is based on a false assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Some peoples noses right out of joint here! The horror of it all...

hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I've only seen thirty somethings & middle aged people driving the GT's. The R32 is for drivers, the GTI tends to be a junior status symbol for aspirational yuppies & IT types. The mainstream Golf's are more a womans car, for those who have little or no interest in cars or driving, but want something that offers a kind of middle of the road respectability. Part of the appeal of these Golf's is down to a perception that they are a step up the social ladder over a Ford, Opel or the Japs. Better residuals, dealer hype and the myth of great reliability (based on the old Beetle) tend to compound this more upmarket image. Most VW's are now for badgeheads otherwise they would buy a Skoda or Seat, or if funds allow migrate to Audi. Despite the Focus been a much better car it lacks the same appeal as the Golf mainly due to common snobbery (and Ford's blue-collar image from its past), just like the superior Mondeo does over the Passat.

The Glanza is largely for boy-racers & chavs where as Golf GT's for sedate if somewhat unimaginative older folk. And possible a few young ones dreaming of it having the image of bigger brother, a pretend GTI. Or as a more practical everyday alternative to a Mini for those in certain parts of Dublin and so with bourgeois pretentions.

It is a bit like the '80's analogy - Oasis fans would drive an XR3i & Blur's lot Golf GTI's.

TomMc wrote: »
    the GTI tends to be a junior status symbol for aspirational yuppies & IT types....... where as Golf GT's for sedate if somewhat unimaginative older folk. And possible a few young ones dreaming of it having the image of bigger brother, a pretend GTI. Or as a more practical everyday alternative to a Mini for those in certain parts of Dublin and so with bourgeois pretentions.

This gets better!!!! :pac: Brilliant TomMc... Brilliant, half the nation mortally offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

seanybiker wrote: »
    The GT is by far a superior car.
    No it's not.
    Dunno bout the rich thing to be honest, ya can pick up a GT cheap enough.
    No you can't.

• Advertisement

FX Meister wrote: »
    No you can't.

yes you can, easily get one for around 20k or less.
    hardly 'rich kids' kind of money

http://www.volkswagen.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1209181

lightening wrote: »
    This gets better!!!! :pac: Brilliant TomMc... Brilliant, half the nation mortally offended.

and the other half laughing their asses off!

copacetic wrote: »
    yes you can, easily get one for around 20k or less.
    hardly 'rich kids' kind of money

http://www.volkswagen.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1209181

You win. €22,950.00 for an 80bhp. Hardly rich kids money - more like wtf money :eek:

TomMc wrote: »
    Part of the appeal of these Golf's is down to a perception that they are a step up the social ladder over a Ford, Opel or the Japs...... And possible a few young ones dreaming of it having the image of bigger brother, a pretend GTI...... bourgeois pretentions.

:o:o:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

veetwin wrote: »
    Neither would most in their early 20's have any interest in the Golf. They can't afford the insurance anyway. Several have been ordered and not taken by people in their 20's when they discovered the cost of insurance.

When you say most in their early 20's would have no interest in a golf, do you mean that they couldn't afford it? Because I for one am in my early 20s, and while I definitely can't afford a Mk5 Golf, I'd be a million times more interested in one than a Glanza. Sure the Glanza is just a tacky Toyota Starlet!
    I'd start saving the pennies for a new Golf before I'd even consider buying a Glanza!

As another point, I work on/off with a car rental company. We have quite a few Golfs, some of the GT Sport too. But these are very popular with old and young customers. Quite a few of them are held aside just to be rented to companies who have car rental accounts with us.
    So, all in all I'd put the Golf down as a car that'd appeal too all across the age spectrum.
    TomMc wrote:
    just like the superior Mondeo does over the Passat.

The Passat pi**es all over the Mondeo. Then downs a load more booze and pi**es all over it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

have to admit i didnt know there was an 80bhp GT - wasnt the pervious model 1.4 around 75bhp - so there's nothing really "GT" about the 80bhp if you know what i mean? bit like the regular Starlet - except toyota didn't call them Glanzas

it also appears to me that 18-25 yo GT owners on this thread are the ones most irrated by the suggestion that the GT is the rich kids Glanza - 80bhp or 170bhp most kids don't have €23+ grand to spend on a car

chill out guys - i never said there was anything wrong with being rich kids!
    Notorious wrote:
    The Passat pi**es all over the Mondeo. Then downs a load more booze and pi**es all over it again!
    not a ford fan myself but conventional wisdom says its the other way around - and pretty much world+dog agrees - but that's neither here nor there and off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

what's the quick guide to telling teh 80/122/140/170 apart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

HOLY CRAP:eek:,was going to get a glanza for my next car,not anymore!,is a fair point from vh though considering you could get a glanza for 4-5k or a golf starting at 10-12k! rich kids would choose the golf

• Advertisement

NiSmO wrote: »

they are probably all wondering why you didn't just buy a GTI

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I've driven both of these machines, they're not by any stretch of the imagination a comparison. The golf is a reasonably civilised car with a bit of poke in it, it's got all the necessary safety gizmo's to stop you launching for the ditch when the power gets a bit much. I see it as a standard-ish road car which has a bit of poke when you do need to over take. And the GTi isn't a whole pile quicker either. A good driver in a GT170 would hold his own against a GTi.

The Glanza is a glorified Starlet, which is nippy but it's horrible to drive, your arse kills you after about an hour or two behind the wheel and you can't drive 5 miles without some other glanza or starlet GT wanting to " challenge " you. You have any major tip in a Glanza and you're on crutches for a while.

And to be honest, those who CAN afford a new Golf GT at a young age, would more then likely go for something a little more exciting like an S15 or some scope of an Integra Type R DC5, both of which are much faster and more fun cars to drive then both the Glanza and Golf.

Out of the 4 cars i've mentioned, the S15 would be my choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 driveshaft

As a 23 year old, long term VW driver, who recently bought a GT 140 TDI - how dare the OP compare it to those hideous ill-handling lumps of Japanese scrap!!! :D

I cannot, for the life of me, think of two things the cars have in common!! (rubber tyres on both maybe!)

The GT has become more common on the roads since July with the diesels and 1.4 petrol falling in price.

I'm a country fella, living in south Dublin, and yes there are more little yuppies driving them around here, but the same little yuppies used to get GTI's for their 18ths!! With recession hitting maybe 'the old man' is looking for better value for money - the GT falls short of GTI performance, but falls a lot shorter in terms of price.

One thing I never saw was a rich kid driving a Glanza, I thought they were strictly reserved for 'modifiers' (in inverted commas to protect genuine modders)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

copacetic wrote: »
    they are probably all wondering why you didn't just buy a GTI

LOl! Saying this
    nismo wrote:
    I prefer mine to a GTI as to the normal peron it looks just like an ordinary golf espically at my age when begrudgery is a big thing but it's a very capable car and is just off the pace of a GTI.

And then to go off an say you added all the pieces from a Gti is a bit of a contradiction lol! But i must say, Nismo, it does look the business.

driveshaft wrote: »
    As a 23 year old, long term VW driver, who recently bought a GT 140 TDI
    driveshaft wrote:
    I'm a country fella

did you get a tow bar :)

seriously tho - does a TDI gt not suffer a serious lack of credibility?

did you get a tow bar :)

seriously tho - does a TDI gt not suffer a serious lack of credibility?

I think if tossy was around he'd soon sort that out lol!

I think if tossy was around he'd soon sort that out lol!
    tossy drives a petrol

iirc he said "i thought the tdi was a weapon till i got my current car"

tossy drives a petrol

No, i know that.
    There never was a Gt tdi and he's usually the man with the facts to defend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I get the comparison both FWD turbo-charged hatches but you can't really compare at all.

Glanza's are nippy, low tax, cheapish, basically turboed starlet hence its appeall. Its not meant to be classy or elegant like a golf. They don't care if their ass goes numb after 30 seconds, its like when someone wondered why I had aircon in my FTO "If you take it out it will be faster!" Creature comforts don't appeal, speed does.

If people who bought them had tons of money or wrere getting a car as a present they would certainly not pick a 23k Golf GT. A €10k Skyline with €13k for tax/insurance/petrol would be more like it.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to why people buy brand new cars? Apart from warranty/new model or features/number plate snobbery?
    VH wrote:

He must've been thinking of SDI, Strategic Defence Initiative or Sucky Diesel Injection ofc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,449 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

driveshaft wrote: »
    I cannot, for the life of me, think of two things the cars have in common!! (rubber tyres on both maybe!)

That was pretty much my initial thought when reading the OP!

I'd be more interested in why a young lad would choose an old turbo super mini (Glanza) over an old non-turbo super mini (Civic). Owners of either please respond!

Advertisement